Exposure Problems With 5D3 Raw Video

Started by Caleb_camera, June 05, 2013, 05:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caleb_camera

Hi guys, I am new to this forum but have been a user of ML for years now. I have a problem when shooting raw. What I am viewing on the back LCD screen is exposed to my liking with cinestyle PP but when I bring into my computer the image is much darker and saturated. I record in raw to SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro 90MB/S. When I get it to my computer I bring it into raw2dng app for mac os x then import the footage into after effects. The image is much more saturated and darker than what I saw on my LCD, to the point where when I recover the darks its extremely noisy. Do I have a setting on that could cause this. I dont know what the problem is.

Happy Shooting!

UPDATE:

Here are some screenshots comparison between H264 and Raw both at same settings.
RAW

H264

Levinson

It's possible that your AE working colour space is set to something with a wide gammut (ProPhoto or Adobe rgb) and your monitor is also a wide gmut type. Wide gamut monitors are becoming more and more common, even in laptops (Dell etc.) and tend to catch people out.

Go into AE's project settings and pick "sRGB" - see if it looks more like what you were expecting to see.

You can also embed this profile into the video clip when exporting from AE

Cheers
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

Caleb_camera

Thank you for such a quick response! It didn't seem to help the problem though. Thanks again!

Levinson

You're welcome.

Don't forget too that H264 has a picture style burnt into it (whatever you pick in camera). Your Raw footage doesn't and is basically whatever you want it to be. The Raw editor (ACR in AE) simply throws some default settings at it and you can tweak it to make it look like your H264 equivalent if you want - which is just  what the camera would have done if you were recording h264, but you have the benefits of 14bit, no compression artifacts etc.

I've never really checked, but maybe the view we see on the back of the camera when recording raw is still running through a picture style?
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

Caleb_camera

So then my best bet is to not use cinestyle while shooting raw? Because simply the picture profile being used is how we are monitoring our LCD screen and not being applied to our raw footage. Is this correct? Id rather shoot flatter than the image I am getting from the raw clips I am shooting.

Audionut

The picture style has no effect on Raw recording.  You should try using something like the default landscape picture style to make the rear LCD look similar to the Raw recorded footage.

Don't use the rear LCD to determine exposure, use the histogram.   It will be much more accurate.

The Raw footage is direct off the sensor.  If you want something flatter, reduce contrast in post.
That's the whole advantage of Raw recording.  Uncompressed direct footage that can be edited non-destructively in post.

Shield

And to piggyback on Audionut - if you're shooting raw video, crank up the camera sharpness.  It'll help you focus better.  Cinestyle is for H264/jpg's, not raw camera stills/video.

Audionut

Quote from: Shield on June 05, 2013, 06:44:37 AM
if you're shooting raw video, crank up the camera sharpness.  It'll help you focus better.

This.  I don't suck so bad at focusing with the sharpness cranked up.  I was completely hopeless with h.264 and sharpness at 0.

Caleb_camera

Thank you guys! I didnt realize how dumb my question was until I found the answers haha. Thanks!