Cannot get my files off of the card (Komputerbay 64GB CF)

Started by iamjohnsname, June 04, 2013, 01:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KMA_WWC

Quote from: LucaBrasi on June 05, 2013, 10:23:48 AM
Hey KMA_WWC I apologize for sounding aggressive towards you earlier. Hope you find a solution and share it. Also, Canon 5D mark III formats exfat automatically if the camera recognize a card equal or larger than 128GB.

LB

No worries at all! I do understand the frustration of waiting for the new card, receiving it, trying to use it and at the end of the day it turns out to be just a piece of plastic. Then you have to go through the hassle of returning it, waiting for refund then ordering new one and so one and so one.

Yes you are right about on camera exfat formatting on MarkIII, but the thing is, I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy the 128gb Komputerbay card since its very rare to get a fast one. Most of the 128gb can't even pull off 75mb/s writing which means no 1080p continues recording.

It's great for other cards though such as Lexar.

After today's testing it looks like exfat for MarkIII for Mac users is the best way to go. Did multiple speed, recording, transfer, formatting tests today and didn't encounter any problems like I did with the other cards (which were fat32 formatted in camera).

Tomorrow I hope to do some tests with 5DIII and 5DII on PC and Mac with exfat . And also, I will probably do tests with fat32 format (even if the cards die, I will be ok with that. At least it will prove my and techs thoughts). There is a slight chance that with latest build things may work differently and Mac issues won't be an issue anymore.

Basically the issue with the cards right now isn't even on camera formatting, but the Mac itself. Their cards more likely will fail and get corrupted while being connected to the Mac computer than in camera on the shoot. That's all because of fat32 format which Mac (especially on with Komputerbay cards due to some way of internal processing) doesn't like at all.
Canon 5D Mark III

togg

Quote from: KMA_WWC on June 05, 2013, 11:33:12 AM
Basically the issue with the cards right now isn't even on camera formatting, but the Mac itself. Their cards more likely will fail and get corrupted while being connected to the Mac computer than in camera on the shoot. That's all because of fat32 format which Mac (especially on with Komputerbay cards due to some way of internal processing) doesn't like at all.

Omg. I have a 5D Mark II and a Mac. I hope that you're wrong  :-\

dude

But I got the same problem, using windows and formatting the card in the cam

savale

Same problem here. 64gb 1000x fat32 formatted. I tried windows / mac / linux and all have problems reading my card. (tried 2 different card readers)
writing the card in the camera seems to go fine...

ashtrai

My 32GB 1000x card worked fine for a while until I got the same problem as you guys. I can write to the card in camera but when I try to read it with my Lexar USB3.0 reader it either doesn't show or is extremely slow.

premini

Hi all, I have the inverse problem, the card is not reading in the camera and reading fine in my PC. Anyone with the same issue here?
Here's more details.
I installed ML with a my new 5d3 and a Komputerbay 64GB that i bought for the occasion and did very well in benchmarks.
but...
After am exfat format in my PC the card is not accesible in the camera, it cannot format nor even access it.
The strange thing is that the card works perfectly fine in the computer via the card reader.
I also tested the 5d3  with another old Sandisk 64 mb and works fine,
Is there any test i could perform before returning the card? Should I uninstall ML?
Thanks in advance!

premini

Quote from: savale on June 10, 2013, 10:41:26 AM
Same problem here. 64gb 1000x fat32 formatted. I tried windows / mac / linux and all have problems reading my card. (tried 2 different card readers)
How do you manage to formar a 64 gb with FAT32?
Windows only allows me ExFat and NTFS.

jeff

Quote from: premini on June 20, 2013, 09:09:48 PM
How do you manage to formar a 64 gb with FAT32?
Windows only allows me ExFat and NTFS.

If you're on windows you can use fat32format (http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm) to format any drive smaller than 2TB to fat32.

Lupo_wolfi

Quote from: savale on June 10, 2013, 10:41:26 AM

You need to update the Lexar Reader Firmware http://www.lexar.com/downloads

kefir91

FIX !! try to upgrade reader software. I had a read problem with my KB 64gb 1000x card on windows and mac. I formatted under windows to ntfs and upgrade reader software next i put reader to mac formatted card to exFat and finally works fine.

Reader Sandisk all in one 3.0
Windows - http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12483/kw/SDDR-289%20Firmware%20Update
Mac - http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13977/kw/SDDR-289%20Firmware%20Update