Cannot get my files off of the card (Komputerbay 64GB CF)

Started by iamjohnsname, June 04, 2013, 01:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamjohnsname

Hi all,

When I shoot on the 64GB 1000x KomputerBay CF card (either H264, CR2, JPG) I cannot transfer the files to my HDD in Windows or in OSX by simply copying and pasting from my CF card reader. If I do, the data is toally corrupted and the pixels go nuts. In fact, even playing the files off of the CF card plays them back as corrupted files. This is happening whether Magic Lantern is installed on the card or not.

I have to use EOS Utility to transfer the files successfully. This is cumbersome but not the end of the world for regular files. However, the same thing is happening with the raw stuff I shoot. Copying it to my HDD is producing super corrupted files with pixels that are totally funky. But EOS Utility won't see the raw files. So how the heck do I remedy this and get access to the files?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-- John

AnotherDave

iamjohnsname

Yes. Have tested it on two different card readers, on two different machines, both of which are dual boot Mac and Windows, so in a way that's four different machines...

Danne

Sounds like a cardproblem to me. I had similar problems with a 64gb card with a different brand that gave me corrupted files. Sometimes I couldn,t even get them out of the card, simply got stuck. Tried different cards?
/D

iamjohnsname

Will try to borrow some friends' cards. But it's weird because its working just fine through EOS Utility, just not through Finder or Windows Explorer...

Michael Zöller

neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

dude

Man this sucks hard. Raw video is working nice with the cb 64 gb card,
But I just recorded h.264 and it ended up with the error2, card is not readable on cam, 2 very important clips are gone...
Will try it on windows later but I am not hopeful...
No way to produce with this card...

LucaBrasi

Have a similar problem. 32gb card. It works in the camera no problem but when I put it in a card reader (have tried several on different computers) the computer says I need do format the card, however the card fails on formatting. Formatting in camera works however?!

KMA_WWC

There is a solution to all your problems guys (it's a common problem with Komputerbay cards). I will post all my findings and results + with some insight info from Komputerbay tech/engineers, which should help people who bought their Komputerbay cards to get max performance and life time. It will be a big post explaining everything about KB cards from A to B.

I will post it as soon as I finish all my tests and find solution with KB. They might even come on board and help users with their cards, but that's not 100%!

One advice though for right now! Try not to format their cards to fat32 and keep it exfat as it comes originally! It should help (doing test, but it technically should be one of the solutions). You can help me too with that. Let me know if it works for you better than fat32.

If your card is dead or corrupted, please contact Komputerbay directly or PM me explaining step by step what you did from start (taking card from the package) until the end (when the card failed/not working).

Your card may have died when you connected to Mac (that's not 100% either, need more test to determine how they behave with Mac. Exfat should be the fix, hopefully).

Thanks.

Best regards,
Khachik.
Canon 5D Mark III

Oedipax

Is exfat doable on the mk2? As I've been formatting my card in-camera at certain points and I'm pretty sure that means it's going to fat32 at that point.

FWIW, I haven't had any problems with files with whatever the mk2 is doing to the 64gb KomputerBay card.

togg

Quote from: KMA_WWC on June 04, 2013, 09:53:08 PM
Try not to format their cards to fat32 and keep it exfat as it comes originally!
What if I wan to use it with a 5D Mark II?

KMA_WWC

Sorry forgot to mention that its better to format to exFAT for Mac users. The latest ML builds allow the use of exFAT formatted cards for recording single files for more than 4gb. You will have to format your cards from your computer. If you do in camera then it will be formatted back to the fat32.

I'm not 100% sure about MkII and how it behaves with the exFAT, komputerbay cards, and latest builds since I haven't done any tests with it yet (only on MKIII). I know that MKII is limited to 65mb/s writing speed, and the module may not support exfat. I will be doing tests with MkII though, I just don't have the camera right now.

If you would like to help! Follow this steps and do w/r 5min speed test, record something (record one file >4gb and one file <4gb), and transfer it your station. Repeat it a couple of times and please email me at khachikmkrtchyan(at)gmail(dot)com if you experience any speed drops, or issues with step by step explanation.

DISCLAIMER: Neither Komputerbay or I take any responsibilities for anything that goes wrong with you cards, camera, computer or any other device during and after the tests. Please do it on your own risk!!!

"Procedure for using the hack on 64GB card:

1. Format the card in Mac using exFAT (not FAT32 as the MAC default's to FAT32)
2. Make it bootable
3, Install the Hack
4. Insert the card in your Camera
5. Clear the buffer for your Camera

Start using the device.

If you use FAT32 - then the card most likely will slow down or corrupt the card (slow down on Mark III and corrupt on 50D/Mark II)."

If you are using MKIII then step 2 and 3 isn't necessary, since the hack is likely to be installed on SD card.
Canon 5D Mark III

LucaBrasi

Am I right in that if I format the card in computer to exFat and then put the card in to the camera, and then format the card in camera, only the files will be deleted, no actual format is done in the camera?

I get failed format in computer when trying exFat (have tried on several computers and in several card readers) gonna send this card back to the store.

Have tried low-level format to. No success.

KMA_WWC

Quote from: LucaBrasi on June 04, 2013, 11:53:38 PM
Am I right in that if I format the card in computer to exFat and then put the card in to the camera, and then format the card in camera, only the files will be deleted, no actual format is done in the camera?

I get failed format in computer when trying exFat and Fat32 (have tried on several computers and in several card readers) gonna send this card back to the store.

Have tried low-level format to. No success.

If you format it in camera, it will delete the files and format it back to fat32 even if it was exfat. I'm not 100% sure, but your card may not be workable anymore. So, I would say sending it back is the best thing to do.

What I'm trying to achieve with my tests is to find the most optimal way of using Komputerbay cards, so people have as less problems and corrupted/failed cards as possible.
Canon 5D Mark III

LucaBrasi

Quote from: KMA_WWC on June 05, 2013, 12:00:37 AM
If you format it in camera, it will delete the files and format it back to fat32 even if it was exfat.

Ok, problem with my card is that it works in my camera but not in my computer. I have formated the card in my camera. I can shoot on the card in the camera, the camera reads and writes just fine.

Your conclusion is to never format the card in camera?

togg

Quote from: KMA_WWC on June 04, 2013, 11:31:20 PM
If you use FAT32 - then the card most likely will slow down or corrupt the card (slow down on Mark III and corrupt on 50D/Mark II)."

This is terrible  :-X

LucaBrasi

Komputerbay cards are as I understand really Lexar cards that did not pass Lexars quality control. That is basically from my understanding why there are so much variations with these cards regarding read and write speeds.

Also. My Lexar 1000x card formats and works perfectly in camera format and in computer format.

So from my point of view. If your komputerbay card works fine, then good on you, I'm really happy for you. But if it fails like mine did. I am f***ing lucky I didn't use that card on a job.

I don't understand what kind of tests you are talking about. Are you going in with hex editor to forensic broken cards or what?

KMA_WWC

Quote from: LucaBrasi on June 05, 2013, 12:43:21 AM
Komputerbay cards are as I understand really Lexar cards that did not pass Lexars quality control. That is basically from my understanding why there are so much variations with these cards regarding read and write speeds.

Also. My Lexar 1000x card formats and works perfectly in camera format and in computer format.

So from my point of view. If your komputerbay card works fine, then good on you, I'm really happy for you. But if it fails like mine did. I am f***ing lucky I didn't use that card on a job.

I'm just like you an unfortunate user (4x bad komputerbay cards). I don't use them on a pro work. I use my Hoodman Steel 1000x cards. But, at the same time I want to help people, and trying to find a way how they can prevent card failure. Komputerbay cards are getting more and more popular due to their cheap price and there needs to be a way to fix current issues. You can't just go and tell everyone don't buy their cards.

Canon 5D Mark III

KMA_WWC

Quote from: LucaBrasi on June 05, 2013, 12:03:31 AM
Ok, problem with my card is that it works in my camera but not in my computer. I have formated the card in my camera. I can shoot on the card in the camera, the camera reads and writes just fine.

Your conclusion is to never format the card in camera?

If you are a Mac user then yes it's the best way to keep the life of the card. That's why I'm doing tests. There might be a better way. Just give me time. I just received the cards today.

Keep in mind that many people use exfat and they are not formatting their cards in the camera because they want to have the feature of recording single files bigger than 4gb. Those people have no complains since there are no other way. Maybe ML will create an exfat format feature in the camera in the future (most unlikely).

UPD: I think this thread would be better suited in the hardware section.
Canon 5D Mark III

Redrocks

Quote from: KMA_WWC on June 04, 2013, 11:31:20 PM

2. Make it bootable

I've got a 5d2 and a 64GB 1000x Komputerbay, how do I make the card bootable after formatting on Windows?

LucaBrasi

I'm not in any way trying to upset you or anyone else but a dead card is a useless card and should be sent back. A half dead card is also a useless card and should also be sent back. I got my card today and spent time trying to figure out how to work it. No success. This bitch of a card is going back the seller.

Do you mean to say you got 4x komputerbay cards today and all 4 faild? Why in the world would you even recommend these cards?

KMA_WWC

Quote from: LucaBrasi on June 05, 2013, 01:04:52 AM
I'm not in any way trying to upset you or anyone else but a dead card is a useless card and should be sent back. A half dead card is also a useless card and should also be sent back. I got my card today and spent time trying to figure out how to work it.

Do you mean to say you got 4x komputerbay cards today and all 4 faild? Why in the world would you even recommend these cards?

Those 4 unusable cards failed 3 weeks ago, and I didn't say I recommended their cards, did I? I'm just trying to help new and current users of the Komputerbay cards. Today I received 32gb and 64gb cards from Komputerbay for testing. I will use their solution and see if its any good. If yes, I will post later my findings.

Check here my first findings about their cards and other http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5391.0
Canon 5D Mark III

KMA_WWC

Quote from: Redrocks on June 05, 2013, 01:04:40 AM
I've got a 5d2 and a 64GB 1000x Komputerbay, how do I make the card bootable after formatting on Windows?

Did you have any problems recording raw with the cards being formatted in fat32 on windows?
Canon 5D Mark III

Redrocks

No problems with the card. When I format it with the pc there are only NTFS or Exfat options, but I then have to reformat in camera and then install ML.

LucaBrasi

Quote from: KMA_WWC on June 05, 2013, 01:08:58 AM
Those 4 unusable cards failed 3 weeks ago, and I didn't say I recommended their cards, did I? I'm just trying to help new and current users of the Komputerbay cards. Today I received 32gb and 64gb cards from Komputerbay for testing. I will use their solution and see if its any good. If yes, I will post later my findings.

Hey KMA_WWC I apologize for sounding aggressive towards you earlier. Hope you find a solution and share it. Also, Canon 5D mark III formats exfat automatically if the camera recognize a card equal or larger than 128GB.

LB