4gb limit Raw recording 5d2 (how to merge 2 files ?)

Started by Francis Frenkel, June 04, 2013, 11:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francis Frenkel

Hello from France,

When I record more than 4gb i got 3 files on my CF card :

• one raw file of 4gb approximately
    one winRAR file of 4gb approximately
    one WinRAR file of 576 200 Ko

The 3 files haves the same name.

How can I merge those files to process them in ACR ?
What is the process to have one only file of my scene ?

What tool do I have to use ?

Help !

Francis
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

RenatoPhoto

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Francis Frenkel

Thank's but I dont understand :

1. Rename the files as  file1.raw  file2.raw .. etc > OK I understand but witch one is the first, second third ?
> Why do I have 2 WinRAR files and another one not wich one is the first one ?

Use command line > OK but where finding this window to type this command ?

> copy/b file1.raw+file2.raw+.... filenew.raw = copy where, from where ??

Sorry it's not clear for me...

Francis
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

Yoshiyuki Blade

If you're using Windows, you can use the command line to merge the files without having to rename anything really. For Vista/7/8, hit the windows key to open up the search bar, type "cmd" (without quotes) and hit Enter to open up the command prompt.

Type the following to merge the files WITH quotes:

copy /b "C:\...\blah.RAW"+"C:\...\blah.R00"+"C:\...\blah.R01"+...+"C:\...\blah.RXX" "C:\...\blah-merged.RAW"

A couple slightly more advanced tips:

1) Open up a notepad file to type out the entire command first and then paste it into the command prompt. Press the windows key, type "notepad" and hit enter to open it up. Once you have everything written, hit Ctrl-A to select all the text, Ctrl-C to copy the text, then paste it into the command prompt window (AFAIK, you can only paste it by right-clicking the window and clicking "Paste").

2) You can quickly copy the path of each file by holding Shift and right-clicking on the file. A new option called "Copy as path" will appear. Click it and paste the path in notepad with Ctrl-V. It'll have quotes too.

edit: Oh, I forgot that some file extensions may be hidden by default and you may not see them unless you show them. The WinRAR files have the extension .R00, .R01, .R02, etc. The first file in the sequence is .RAW followed by .R00, .R01 etc.

Redrocks

Thanks for the info Yoshiyuki, unfortunately I seem to be missing something. I'm working with these files:

"D:\raw\DNG\M02-0250.RAW"
"D:\raw\DNG\M02-0250.R00"
"D:\raw\DNG\M02-0250.R01"
"D:\raw\DNG\M02-0250.R02"

and have merged them using the line:

copy /b "D:\raw\DNG\M02-0250.RAW"+"D:\raw\DNG\M02-0250.R00"+"D:\raw\DNG\M02-0250.R01"+"D:\raw\DNG\M02-0250.R02" "D:\raw\DNG\M02-0250-merged.RAW"

But when I go to extract the DNG's from the resulting M02-0250-merged.RAW (using Batchelor) I get an empty folder. When I try to drag and drop to Raw2dng, the Cmd window opens and closes rapidly and nothing happens.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Redrocks on June 04, 2013, 09:20:24 PM
When I try to drag and drop to Raw2dng, the Cmd window opens and closes rapidly and nothing happens.

Make sure you have the latest Raw2dng.exe  The older ones do not open large files.

1.1 Please download the RAw2dng.exe  application for windows.
HERE: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads

If that is not it then you may have the order of the files wrong?  Check on the sizes and the times. 

Also you can use the simpler:

Download file joiner splitter such as FFSJ v 3.3
http://www.softpedia.com/get/File-managers/File-Splitter-and-Joiner.shtml

All of this information found here:
RAW Video: PostProcessing -- Beginners Guide --
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5654.0
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Yoshiyuki Blade

Yeah, it may be a problem with the version of Raw2Dng. The command line you posted looks perfectly fine.

Francis Frenkel

same for me :
When I type the command line it creates the merge file but when i drop the merge file in the RAW2DNG file it doesnt open files.

And :
the merge file his only 2Gb wich is not normal cause 2 files are 4Gb each and the last one 1/2Gb....

The RAW2dng is from the 5th june the en recent one...

I download the File Spliter and joiner, but I cant select the files to be joined : not recognise....

Please, could you propose a simple way to do it....

I want to shoot a short movie, and lots of the takes will be more than 4Gb.... if I have to do this work each time, post-production will take month... I'm ready to work hard, not to get creazy ! ha ha ha ah !

Please, hep me !

Here is the teaser of the short movie :
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

Redrocks

My Raw2dng was upto date as of yesterday, I downloaded the latest version anyway and still no joy. Although my merged file was the same size as its parts.

Thanks for the link to the file joiner. I tried it out and couldn't fathom the naming structure you have to work with, but I'll have another crack at it later and will find a way.

Good luck with the film Francis, looks very interesting. Hopefully the final piece will have subtitles!

Yoshiyuki Blade

Hmmm, yeah I'm kinda stumped. Just updated to the latest build by a.d. (94190a95bbaf), recorded 6104 frames, merged them via the command line and now I'm currently extracting them. Both the raw2dng from the main ML bitbucket and the build from a.d. works. The a.d. build is more recent though and seems to do more with the vertical stripes correction (lots of the corrections are something other than 1.000).

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Francis Frenkel on June 05, 2013, 10:33:40 AM
I download the File Spliter and joiner, but I cant select the files to be joined : not recognise....

Stop and read below:

1a. Rename files as file.001, file.002
Download file joiner splitter such as FFSJ v 3.3
http://www.softpedia.com/get/File-managers/File-Splitter-and-Joiner.shtml

your file joiner is not working because it requires for you to rename the files as specified above i.e.

file.001 the next one file.003, etc

Francis Frenkel

Yes, this is what I'm doing...
I rename the .raw file (wich is the first one) as : file.001
I rename de WinRar (.R00) file (the second one) as : file.002

None of them are recognise when I select "Joining" in the Spliter & joinger tool and try to select the 2 files in the directory...

------------
The first file is a . RAW file isn't-it ?
The second one is an WinRar (.R00) file ? yes or no ?

What do I do wrong ?

Francis

Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Francis Frenkel on June 05, 2013, 03:59:04 PM
Yes, this is what I'm doing...
I rename the .raw file (wich is the first one) as : file.001
I rename de WinRar (.R00) file (the second one) as : file.002

None of them are recognise when I select "Joining" in the Spliter & joinger tool and try to select the 2 files in the directory...

------------
The first file is a . RAW file isn't-it ?
The second one is an WinRar (.R00) file ? yes or no ?

What do I do wrong ?

Francis

The joiner will only see the xxx.001 file.  If you selected it will join the two files xx.001 and .002

You will have to rename the joint file to file.raw for it to be processed by Raw2dng

RenatoPhoto

Also are you using "File Splitter & Joiner (FFSJ v3.3) ?
Windows O.S.

Francis Frenkel

Yessss !!! I'm so happy !

My error was :
> I was "only" renaming the file, but not chaning the extention of the file, wich is different !!!
The extension file is not visible by default (Windows 7) !

Thank you so much renatoPhoto and Yoshiyuki Blade for your patience !

Francis
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

neopixel

Hello guys!

After reading your posts I still have the same issue as Francis here.
I recorded 3 different files and have this:
file.RAW, file.R01, file.R02
I renamed them file.001, file.002, file.003 and open file "spliter and joiner v3.3" to merge them but the software message me an error after 4% of loading.

An other thing, if I try to convert my .RAW file of 4gb directly from raw2dng, it also opens and closes very quickly!

I tried different things and read all over ML forum but can't find anyone with a detailed answer!

Your help would be much appreciated!

Tahnks a lot!

neopixel

new try, this time I only renamed file.r00, file.r01, file.r02 into file.001, file.002, file.003.

Open file splitter & joiner v3.3; it found only file.001. I opened it, set the file directory on desktop, hit the join button.
After 5% of loading an error appear: "can't write to a file stream". I have no clue what I've done wrong!

I am on:
windows 7
latest raw2dng
build 29th may
file splitter & joiner 3.3
5d2
sandisk 64gb, 90mb/s

thanks again!

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: neopixel on June 06, 2013, 12:20:59 AM
Open file splitter & joiner v3.3; it found only file.001. I opened it, set the file directory on desktop, hit the join button.
After 5% of loading an error appear: "can't write to a file stream". I have no clue what I've done wrong!

Never had that error.  Probably corrupt RAW files??  Maybe a prob with 5D2, search in the 5D2 for other people having the same prob...

But you should try the newest compiles always since lots of stuff is changing very quickly.

neopixel

just tried it! same issue and impossible to convert with raw2dng which still open and close very quickly without converting anything.

I've read all the posts about it, didn't find anything yet. Hopefully a solution will come out! :)

rawmania

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on June 05, 2013, 04:18:45 PM
The joiner will only see the xxx.001 file.  If you selected it will join the two files xx.001 and .002

You will have to rename the joint file to file.raw for it to be processed by Raw2dng

Hi
I've followed Renato steps and worked.
However the dng files from the final big raw file that came from .002 original file seems to be corrupt. files from .001
original file is ok.
(If i'm  trying to preview with adobe dng viewer the color is perverted to false colors)
Any help
regards

a1ex

Is this with current nightly or with something ancient from last week or so?

guentergunter

For MAC I highly suggest RAWMagic, since it handles the spanned files on the fly and directly converts to CinemaDNGs.
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

fatpig

I just wrote an automatic join app for my utility BATCHelor, it is not quite ready yet- is this still an issue?

Jagannatha

Quote from: neopixel on June 06, 2013, 03:09:28 AM
just tried it! same issue and impossible to convert with raw2dng which still open and close very quickly without converting anything.

I've read all the posts about it, didn't find anything yet. Hopefully a solution will come out! :)

Hi!
In "file splitter & joiner 3.3" select another destination folder for output file (not your photo memory card!!!). Your card is FAT32 and can not write a file larger than 4Gb and you are already joining 4Gb + X Gb :)

UPDATE:
It joins the files with no problem. But! For me it was like - after jining 2 exmaples one joined file was good and RAWanizer extracted all the DNGs from it and another joined file (joined out of 4 + 0,2 Gbs) was like empty but at the same time of 4,2Gb....