The Endless 700D vs 650D Discussion

Started by pillywright, June 03, 2013, 04:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pillywright

3x in video mode has been added back to t5i, a feature from t3i.  This is huge for video.  Makes lenses much more useful. 

Phhoenyxx

Quote from: pillywright on June 03, 2013, 04:52:31 AM
3x in video mode has been added back to t5i, a feature from t3i.  This is huge for video.  Makes lenses much more useful.

No, it hasn't. I'm so tired of reading this misinformation all over the place. The sites that mentioned this did so before they even got a T5i in their hands. It was wishful thinking seeing as how the T5i was/is the worst upgrade in camera history. Had Canon re-added digital crop zoom, it would have been a marginal upgrade. Both Canon and DPReview clearly state that this was not re-added. Read the manual. If you want digital crop zoom, get a T3i. If you want a Hybrid CMOS sensor, get a T4i/T5i/SL1. If you already have a T5i and want digital crop zoom, pray that the ML team can add it to the T4i/T5i/SL1.
"Amp up and amplify! Defy! I'm a brother with a furious mind!"

nanomad

And that's the reason why canon discontinued the 650D but not the 600D ;)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Phhoenyxx

Quote from: nanomad on June 03, 2013, 05:24:04 PM
And that's the reason why canon discontinued the 650D but not the 600D ;)

They should have never released the T5i, not the way they did anyway. If they wanted to release a new STM lens, that's fine, but release it as a standalone product. There was no need for such a similar camera. If you're going to release a new camera, make sure it offers more than a gimmicky firmware update.

Regardless, I'm glad I got a great deal on my T4i with 18-135 IS STM lens. I also prefer its name... T4i... Touch4input...  :D

Science

Quote from: Phhoenyxx on June 03, 2013, 06:10:35 PM
They should have never released the T5i, not the way they did anyway. If they wanted to release a new STM lens, that's fine, but release it as a standalone product. There was no need for such a similar camera. If you're going to release a new camera, make sure it offers more than a gimmicky firmware update.

Regardless, I'm glad I got a great deal on my T4i with 18-135 IS STM lens. I also prefer its name... T4i... Touch4input...  :D
But..
New is allways better.
     - Barney

And you get 50€ cashback, so in the end it's even cheaper as a 650D with the 18-55mm STM lense
EOS 700D | EOS 650 (without the D)

Phhoenyxx

Quote from: Science on June 03, 2013, 11:36:39 PM
But..
New is allways better.
     - Barney

And you get 50€ cashback, so in the end it's even cheaper as a 650D with the 18-55mm STM lense

Two problems with that:

1- New is not always better (but Barney is amazing).
2- There's nothing really new about it except for the 5 instead of a 4.

And I don't know where you're getting your prices from, but I got my T4i with the 18-135mm IS STM (a $600 lens) for less than the T5i with the 18-55mm IS STM. In fact, I got my combo for less than the T5i body alone.

godashram

There are quite a few companies that release anything yearly, with little to no change.

My car for example... a 2007, but i can use parts from 2008-2010 with 0 issues and 90% from the 2011 is also usable.

I paid almost nothing out of pocket for my T5I, so it was no real issue for me to grab it. If I had to pay out of pocket, then a T4I would be in my hands right now.
Canon T5I, EOS M2

godashram

Quote from: pillywright on June 03, 2013, 04:52:31 AM
I can verify that there are 3 zoom modes on the t5i.... As long as the face tracking auto focus mode is not enabled and you have to be in live view. You get 1, 5x and 10x...

Since my internet is down, I had to do this all from my phone. But it shows me using the touchscreen to jump across all 3 zoom modes.

Canon T5I, EOS M2

Phhoenyxx

Quote from: godashram on June 04, 2013, 03:47:28 AM
I can verify that there are 3 zoom modes on the t5i.... As long as the face tracking auto focus mode is not enabled and you have to be in live view. You get 1, 5x and 10x...

Since my internet is down, I had to do this all from my phone. But it shows me using the touchscreen to jump across all 3 zoom modes.

OMG! That's just the zoom used to fine tune focus. It's not the digital crop zoom from the T3i. You can't take pictures in those zoom modes. The T4i also has those zooms. RTFM, people!

godashram

Quote from: Phhoenyxx on June 04, 2013, 04:32:03 AM
OMG! That's just the zoom used to fine tune focus. It's not the digital crop zoom from the T3i. You can't take pictures in those zoom modes. The T4i also has those zooms. RTFM, people!

Dont understand the rudeness.... If I was wrong.. Just say it... People make mistakes, get over it
Canon T5I, EOS M2

Phhoenyxx

Quote from: godashram on June 04, 2013, 04:41:01 AM
Dont understand the rudeness.... If I was wrong.. Just say it... People make mistakes, get over it

The rudeness is because I am sick and tired of seeing such a big lie being perpetuated for this long. I feel bad for all the people who read this misinformation and decided to buy a T5i thinking that digital crop zoom has returned, only to find out that it hasn't after they spent their hard earn money.

a1du

Wow! Both of you like me are kinda new to this forum, so arguing about who seen what where and what can be done is no good for anyone. There is so much cack on the net that misleads us all at least once, or in ma case loads of times  :) No matter what the 700d firmware and hardware does out the box, its nothing compared to what it will do when ML is available  :) I have a 700d, like you guys and I'm grateful that someone has taken the time to get, and analyze the firmware. I missed who made the dump, if its the OP or not? I would like to say a massive thank you!! Had a bad day, but it just got brighter  :)
Canon ftb, ae-1, a-1, 700d

styler2go

Is there an emulator for developing with ML? An emulated 700d or something like that?