Mounting MFT or CX lenses on the Canon 50D

Started by russellsayshi, April 05, 2014, 12:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russellsayshi

Hello! This is my first post on this forum, and I have a dilemma.

I'm purchasing a Canon 50D next week for video. The only problem I have with it is its resolution. After deciding I didn't want an anamorphic lens to boost resolution, the only other thing that I could find on the web to get the resolution to 1080p was crop mode.

This, however, reduces sharpness and exaggerates color aberrations and other flaws in the lens (from the footage that I've seen).

Then, I had an idea: could I mount lenses made for smaller sensors to the 50D and then crop it? I was thinking MFT or CX lenses would be the best.

I couldn't find any adapters online, but is this even possible? I know the diameter of the MFT and CX mounts are both much smaller than that of the EF mount, but if it's possible I'd love to know.

This would be perfect, especially because they're made for such smaller sensor size (CX kit lenses are around 10mm) so it would be as if I were using a normal lens.

3X crop for 1080p times the 10mm and I get 30mm, a focal length that is fine with me!

I searched far and wide on the internet, but I couldn't find any such lens adapters, only ones for adapting EF lenses to MFT cameras (I had assumed so).

Anyway, my point of asking this is the following: do any of you have any DIY fixes, MFT lens to EF body adapters, or any other solutions to getting greater resolution out of my future camera?

Thank you, and I hope my question isn't too noobish :)

russellsayshi

Follow up question: how many frames are normal for 1080p or 2K on the 50D?

I have a Komputerbay 1000x 64GB CF card.

ItsMeLenny

All lenses have a different length away from the sensor that they have to be.
The thing with smaller lenses (for smaller sensors) is they usually have to be mounted closer.
You may be able to mount them on, but all you'll be able to shoot is EXTREME macro.

DO click this link to read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

dsManning

If you can find B4 2/3 lenses for cheap, I've found that is a nice way to get a good image in crop mode.  Also, they have a smooth aperture on the lens that usually goes below T/1.8  Works well for me, but I use a 9.5-143 1.7 cropped and zoomed at 1.7 for the project I'm working on now (gets amazing glowing bokeh).  Some people don't know what they are selling when they get rid of these.  I picked this lens up for $12 + shipping on eBay, the mount adapter from China cost more, and took longer to get here...  I get a few chromatic aberrations, but those are pretty easy to clean up in ACR.

Datadogie

I thought the lens made absolutely no difference to the resolution. Only the cameras capability can change the resolution.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.