ML RAW pipeline in Linux

Started by christaylor, June 02, 2013, 12:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

christaylor

Hello all,

I'm trying to set up a ML RAW pipeline in linux. I work for a small company which works with video, 3D and vfx exclusively in Linux, but I've only been using Linux for a bit more than a year with them, and mostly as an end-user artist, not as an experienced programmer. They're OK with me testing out ML RAW on a 600D, not on one of their 5D III's yet because they're a little scared off by all the warnings. This isn't for commercial projects yet, just to explore some of the potential, they like to play with this sort of thing before it hits a stable release to keep as up to date as possible (and so do I!).

Only issue is I'm hitting a bottleneck: I installed ML and RAW no problem, I have a few pipeline tests laid out after this stage, but I can't seem to get raw2dng working in Linux! (I'm using Mint)... I saw raw2avi in linux but that doesn't really interest me, I really want the DNG's..

If anyone could outline the process I need to follow to convert my RAW to DNG in a linux OS I'll be really grateful...

scrax

raw2dng [raw file to convert]
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

christaylor

that's sort of my problem, it isn't working :(

scrax

Quote from: christaylor on June 04, 2013, 07:53:53 PM
that's sort of my problem, it isn't working :(

did you get any error?
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Murphy

What about using the windows exe version under wine? Not ideal, but it could work.

christaylor

scrax: yes I did, it just  says "command not found"... I compiled using the compile instructions, and didn't get any unexpected errors.

and I used a windows machine to  convert them in the time being, I have the rest of my pipeline sorted out fine, I just can't seem to get the RAW2DNG part working...

deleted.account

Windows exe of raw2dng works fine with Wine.

You don't explain how you're trying to use it but here's a test:

If you put a copy of the raw2dng.exe into the same folder as the RAW files, then open a terminal, change directory, ie: cd to the folder with the RAWs and then type wine ./raw2dng.exe M000001.RAW or whatever your RAW's called then it should work for you.

If not post your error message.

christaylor

yup, works fine in wine... if I can't find a way of making it work without, will just go through wine then..

scrax

I don't know how much you are familiar with terminal, be sure of the positions. use
pwd
or
ls to check that you are in the same dir were you have raw2dng. then first try:
./raw2dng
if it gives you same error, post what you get from "ls"
if it load and puts the usage message then you can just add the file after it and should work

christaylor

I just recompiled- for a third time, and now it works... I don't think I did anything differently this time- it's a little odd..

problem solved, although strangely so!

revast

wtf?
Normally I would get the sources and compile myself, but I failed so far... What do I have to do to get the raw2dng tool sources? I mean, the .c files are not enough. and when I download the whole ml mercurial tree as a zip folder, the makefile says it does not find the .mercurial folder, and when I hg clone the ml, it does not get the whole folder structure??? :o

darethehair

Quote from: christaylor on June 07, 2013, 03:53:21 PM
I just recompiled- for a third time, and now it works... I don't think I did anything differently this time- it's a little odd..

christaylor, can you elaborate on how you successfully compiled 'raw2dng' for Linux, or point to where the compile instructions are located?  I have done some searching and not (yet) found anything...

Thanks!

EDIT: From a more-convoluted-solution-than-I-thought-it-would-be, I think I managed to figure this out (though I am looking for a simpler solution, since my own seems unnecessarily complex):

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6457.msg58739#msg58739