Trying to get Canon MOV files to work on Oppo blu-ray player

Started by Philnick, June 01, 2013, 07:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philnick

I've gotten very frustrated trying to make videos I shoot with my unmodified T4i (a/k/a 650D) play through my Oppo blu-ray player - the non-standard "SOWT" MOV files my T4i writes, which have the audio bit order reversed (according to what I've read), render it non-playable by many programs and devices. There's a commercial add-on that lets Windows Media Player play the files, but I'd really like to see things in my home theater through the Oppo's first-rate video and audio circuitry and even make AVCHD (blu-ray formatted) DVDs and eventually burn real blu-rays.

I've tried loading a T4i video into Lightroom 4, which works with video, and having it export it as a standard MOV: that played  - without sound!

The workarounds I've found all are very time intensive (conversion takes four times playing time) and entail loss of quality.

I found a program that very quickly reversed the audio bit order and made a file nearly identical in size to the original - but it still wouldn't play.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I assume that making the camera write standard MOVs would be beyond the capabilities of Magic Lantern, but has anyone found a good way to convert the files with a Windows computer that doesn't take forever and degrade the quality?

Audionut

Quicktime pro will extract the video and audio files from MOV.  You can then just fix your audio stream and combine the video and audio files again in your blu-ray author program.

From a quick google search, it appears itunes might be able to extract the video and audio also.

Philnick

I don't have a blu-ray authoring program as such, just a disk-burning program from a company called Cirlinca that can write AVCHD disks. I play music and some videos off my PC's external hard disk through the Oppo through my wired LAN, without even having to burn disks. The Oppo can play standard MOVs.

Would Windows versions of QuickTime Pro or iTunes be able open a Canon SOWT MOV file and write it back out as a standard MOV file without any manual intervention by me other than selecting the correct output format, and without either reducing quality or taking a long time?

iTunes has the advantage of being free, but I wouldn't mind paying for the upgrade to QT Pro if I knew it would do what I need.

Audionut

Does it play MKV files via LAN?

If yes, download mkvtoolnix

Open your mov file in that program and just save straight to MKV (there will be no-recompression, just a save from MOV container to MKV).  Try playing the file.

Philnick

Will do!I've already experimented with some MKV toolkits, but I'm not sure if I've used that one.

Thanks.

Audionut

If the MKV plays but you still have problems with the audio.  I would suggest using itunes to convert the audio to flac and then muxing that audio with the video from your MOV.

Take a look at this screenshot.  Load the original mov and deselect the audio.  Then load your converted audio.

This way, you will have your original unaltered video.  Lossless audio stream that should be very quick to convert, and as most of the work is just a remux into new container, the entire process should be pretty quick and painful (no warranties on using that apple itunes crap though :) )