Canon 700D / T5i

Started by nanomad, June 01, 2013, 12:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madz

Quote from: dfort on November 06, 2017, 10:27:07 PM
If you have an EOSM you can try the crop_rec module and push up the FPS override a bit to approximate what you will be able to get on the 700D. Internally these cameras are very similar, same sensor, focus pixels, SD card write speed, etc. The big difference between the two cameras is being able to record mv1080 on the 700D but you can't push that to 48+ fps. What exactly are you expecting out of the 700D?

I'm quite happy with the EOS-M, the only thing I miss is slow-mo. And it's VERY slow in photo mode.
I tried to get 50fps on EOS-M on few latest experimental crop_rec with h.264 proxy enabled, but no luck. On lossless I get console warnings, and on 10/12/14bit RAW just black or corrupted frames.
IIRC 50fps can be only reached from m720, does 700D has m720 with 3x3 option?

So my goal is something like 10bit RAW 1280x536 48/50fps with 3x3 binning, so I wanted to know does it work already on 700D, because on EOSM it doesn't, at least for me at this moment.
650D.104 | EOSM.202

Walter Schulz

This one requires lossless compression. EOS M and 700D do share the same card interface specs: SDR50/UHS50 (about 50 MByte/s). Without compression required bandwidht exceeds 40 MByte/s (pure RAW/MLV without H.264 proxy) and I haven't seen continuous recording at this rate.

madz

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 07, 2017, 10:20:16 AM
This one requires lossless compression. EOS M and 700D do share the same card interface specs: SDR50/UHS50 (about 50 MByte/s). Without compression required bandwidht exceeds 40 MByte/s (pure RAW/MLV without H.264 proxy) and I haven't seen continuous recording at this rate.

I'm fine with compression, I'm fine with 8-bit, I just wasn't able to get it working on EOS-M at 50fps. And continuous is not necessary, about 60 seconds would be enough.
I was testing at 960x402px different combinations of bit depth and compression, it tops at 32MiB/s with 14bit no compression, and no luck :(

I thought that 700D might have more progress in shooting 50fps, since it have "native" m720 mode, on EOS-M it's only turns on with h264 proxy, without it it's only 30fps.
650D.104 | EOSM.202

dfort

Quote from: madz on November 07, 2017, 09:43:23 AM
So my goal is something like 10bit RAW 1280x536 48/50fps with 3x3 binning, so I wanted to know does it work already on 700D, because on EOSM it doesn't, at least for me at this moment.

Ok, that's reasonable. I just tested it and the 700D can do a little better than that. Continuous recording at 1280x694 50fps with 10-bit lossless compression with crop_rec 3x3 is possible. I just ran a test.

mlv_dump -v
File Header (MLVI)
    FPS         : 50.000000
    File        : 0 / 0
    Frames Video: 3767
    Frames Audio: 0
Block: RAWI
    Res:  1280x694
Block: RAWC
      sampling        3x3 (read 1 line, skip 2, bin 3 columns)

The only other APS-C small camera that can do the crop_rec with lossless compression thing is the 100D so you do have options. I've been trying to get other cameras ported but they are "blind" ports because I don't have access to these cameras. (I also don't know what I'm doing but that doesn't keep me from trying.) The 650D is already in the code base and there is a pull request open for the 6D but there are some issues that still need to be ironed out with these cameras.

[EDIT] Uploaded a screenshot. Note that the estimate isn't showing green but I am getting continuous recording with these settings.

madz

Quote from: dfort on November 07, 2017, 05:23:33 PM
I just tested it and the 700D can do a little better than that. Continuous recording at 1280x694 50fps with 10-bit lossless compression with crop_rec 3x3 is possible.

Well this sounds promising. Thank you for your time running a test.

Quote from: dfort on November 07, 2017, 05:23:33 PM
The only other APS-C small camera that can do the crop_rec with lossless compression thing is the 100D so you do have options.

If won't find 700d for a good price (I really like an articulating screen), will definitely go for 100d (hey, same battery as EOS-M, got bunch of them). Thanks again!
650D.104 | EOSM.202

mhimhi

Hi guys. I read a lot i still cannot figure out how to get 10 bit raw on my 700d. Can someone tell me how? Thank you.

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Downloads (drop down menu) -> Experiments -> 10/12-bit RAW video

Kharak

is there a visible difference between colum binning and line skipping,i assume it was line skipping before the experimental build. 

I just installed ml on a friends 700d and was wondering about the colum binning, is it like a mini 5d3 now, low moire and aliasing? And is the colum binning standard now when recording raw?

Also the link to firmware 115 in the download section is dead. You can get the file from CanonUSA website.
once you go raw you never go back

a1ex

ML does not change the pixel binning pattern; it just records it in the MLV metadata. Even in the new modes introduced by crop_rec, it still does not change the binning pattern - if it's going to combine 3x3 pixels into one, there's only one way the hardware can do this. It's model-dependent - 5D3 averages in analog domain all the 9 pixels, most other models simply throw away two lines and average in analog domain the remaining 3 pixels (hence, line skipping and column binning).

It might be possible to change the start line/column for the binned pixels (would be useful for super-resolution) or to sample only one pixel from a 3x3 block, but I have no idea where to start looking. In any case, the averaging (binning) is likely done with analog electronics.

Kharak

Okey, I thought it was weird (and amazing) that you could change the way the sensor records the information.

Just did some test shots on the 700D and its max resolution, non-crop, and I am very surprised how good the quality is. Except the Focus Pixels ruin it. I need to find a software that has FP Removal, I got rid of them with 2x2 chroma but looks like it introduces a lot of artifacts where Lines and other fine textures crosses the removed focus pixels.

Either way, I think my friend is gonna be thrilled with his new camera ;)

dfort

Quote from: Kharak on November 26, 2017, 11:41:39 AM
I need to find a software that has FP Removal, I got rid of them with 2x2 chroma but looks like it introduces a lot of artifacts where Lines and other fine textures crosses the removed focus pixels.

What are you using that causes artifacts with chroma smoothing? Software that deals with the focus pixels includes Switch, MLVFS, MLV Producer, mlv_dump on steroids and there are probably a few others.

Danne

Probably batch_mlv. Needs an update to work with 700D I think.

Kharak

Sorry, I did not see you replied to this.

Yes, was using Batch_MLV. I will try that newest version of MLV Producer.

I got some issues testing the 700D 28th Oct build. Using only the Lossless recording.

The camera records at 23,973 and no matter what I've tried in FPS override I can not get it to 23,976 or 24,000. Its not much difference but it's there. EDIT: I just found out that setting the Canon Recording to 1080p 25p makes the Framerate right again, it was on 1080p 24p. Now I can set it to 23.976 , 24p and 25p.

I can not set WB by pushing the WB button and all the other buttons around the SET button dont seems to react to anything in movie mode. They do work for navigating ML or Canon Menu though.

I am not used to the 700D, its not mine, maybe these buttons are not supposed to work in Movie mode. For instance the AF and "Shooting mode" button, sorry I dont know what it is called, might not be of any importance in movie mode. But WB and Picture Profile do not work in movie mode.

When playing MLV's in camera, I could not play any other MLV except for the last shot MLV, scroll wheel did not react. And after a while I could not play any MLV,. Only a black screen came up. But the LED was blinking as if it was playing the MLV's.

dfort

Some new findings that affect the 700D. Don't want to double, or triple or...post so I'll just point to this post:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.msg196350#msg196350

theBilalFakhouri

It worked nicely on 700D
Also I noticed this
Quote from: Danne on January 25, 2018, 07:58:04 AM
Your commit also let´s 1080 become 1082 every other time while scrolling for bigger aspect ratios.
We hope compile it with mlv_snd build.
thanks!

miketraum

Hey guys,
I am a new ML user, with a question Ive researched before posting this, but couldnt find a solid yes or no. With the T5i, is it possible to shoot RAW in 1080? The write speed on my card is 40mb/s. I apologize if this has already been answered!

theBilalFakhouri

Hey @miketraum
Yes you can shoot continuous 1080p RAW video on T5i.
The actual resolution will be 1736x976 You have to upscale it to 1080p, This what Canon does in H.264 video.
You have to select 12-bit lossless from mlv_lite settings to make it continuous recording (Write speed will be about 35mb/s) on 23.976fps.
And the build for shooting continuous RAW video under "4K raw video recording; lossless compression" in experiments page: (scroll down)
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html

dfort

Quote from: miketraum on February 09, 2018, 03:25:09 AM
...With the T5i, is it possible to shoot RAW in 1080?...

Yes but as theBilalFakhouri pointed out, if you use the camera normally it will give you an actual resolution of 1736x976. However, if you use the zoom mode by pressing the magnifying glass button until you get to 5x LiveView the camera can bet set to 1920x1080 in that mode.

Quote from: miketraum on February 09, 2018, 03:25:09 AM
...The write speed on my card is 40mb/s....

That might work but I find that the faster 95MB/s UHS-I cards are more reliable when recording raw video on this camera.

theBilalFakhouri

dual_iso ISOless ( 8 ) & (15) err finally solved for Canon 700D that have this problem!
Check this post:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.msg197139#msg197139

a1ex

Nice!

Can other 700D users confirm the issue? Was it also present on 1.1.4?

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: a1ex on February 11, 2018, 01:26:22 PM
Was it also present on 1.1.4?
The issue was since 1.1.3, I had tried all the firmware 1.1.3\ 1.1.4\ 1.1.5 and a lot of nightly change logs builds for dual iso, nothing worked.

dfort

@theBilalFakhouri - I haven't been able to reproduce the issue. Which branch? What steps are you taking?

theBilalFakhouri

@dfort Here the Steps
The branch was used is crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd
EDIT: Also this helped me to define what is the problem.

dfort

I was trying to reproduce the ISOless err( 8 ) & ( 15 ) using the "official" crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd experimental build. You are using adtg_gui in those instructions to find the register values so I'll need to compile that branch with CONFIG_GDB and CONFIG_GDBSTUB, right? I'll dig into this when my wife finishes celebrating her birthday--last year it took a week!

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: dfort on February 11, 2018, 06:14:51 PM
so I'll need to compile that branch with CONFIG_GDB and CONFIG_GDBSTUB, right? I'll dig into this when my wife finishes celebrating her birthday--last year it took a week!
No. actully I didn't do anything with CONFIG_GDB and CONFIG_GDBSTUB, only I have changed the registers in dual_iso.c after I get them.
Haha, Don't miss her, go now and happy birthday :D