Canon 700D / T5i

Started by nanomad, June 01, 2013, 12:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeefo254

No the test didn't work. The display didn't show anything. Worth to mention that this morning after leaving it all night without the battery or the card in it after I inserted the battery and turned it on the display turned on but it didn't show anything on it and the Live View button did move the mirror when I pressed it but the display didn't change . Whilst it was still on, I inserted the card and it went back to the previous behavior. 

Walter Schulz

Just to make sure:
- LCD is not working at all. Not even for a short term.
- The card is prepared for ML and cam's bootflag is set. You can test it by renaming autoexec.bin. If the card is prepared for ML, bootflag is set and autoexec.bin missing cam will get stuck at startup. You will not be able to shot.

Please confirm.

What happens if you connect a monitor via HDMI?

jeefo254

Right now the LCD is not working at all. Not even the back light is powering on. The card is prepared for ML. Right now it's got the settings from when it worked, I've tried without ML on the card, I've tried EOScard, I've tried with the software update on the card and nothing, it will not power on. The LED light flashes whenever I insert the card and the shutter does work 6 times before showing busy message in the viewfinder but the photos won't appear on the card. And sometimes when on Auto mode the flash will fire, and on other modes the flash trigger works and the flash fires on half button press. Something that bothers me is that the shutter will not work if I had the card and the battery in the camera before I've turned it on. It works only if the card was in the camera and I removed and reinserted the battery or if the card wasn't in the camera and while I leave it on I put the card in it will still work a bunch of times before, again, showing the busy message.

I went I bought an mini HDMI adapter to try and see if anything happens and still nothing. I'm pretty stuck basically..

best online image hosting

Walter Schulz

You are telling me LCD is not working at all. And you are telling me about a busy message.

Is the LCD working (=showing some kind of information) sometimes (=under certain circumstances) or not?

a1ex

If the shutter makes noise with the portable display test on the card, that means the card is not bootable (in other words, the test was not loaded). After loading*) and displaying the test screen, it should lock up, forcing you to take the battery out in order to get any more signs of life (such as LED blinks) outside the viewfinder.

*) at this step, a short LED blink may or may not be visible, depending on camera model; would be nice if another 700D owner could check.

The viewfinder is controlled by another processor, and whatever it does during the display test (no signs at all, busy, or whatever) is model-dependent, not controllable by ML, and thus not relevant for the test.

You can also try this (just curious why the pictures are not saved to the card): http://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Experiments/job/startup-log/12/

(it would blink the LED for the first 30 seconds, then save a log file that contains all the debug messages from Canon)

jeefo254

I've managed to get the portable display test to work. It lights up the lcd backlight even with the power switch set to off, and that's it. No info on the display, just the light and a stuck pixel  :)

a1ex

That means, it's very likely a hardware issue. Not much to do at this point - just for curiosity, you can now run the startup logger as well, but I don't think it will be of any help.

jeefo254

Ok, thanks very much for all the help guys. I've just contacted a repair service here in my town. I thought maybe I could fix it on my own. Anyway, thanks again!

ps the starup logger doesn't work.. bummer

Fedya

Quote from: Fedya on April 29, 2017, 06:31:31 AM
Hello! Is it possible to return immediately to liveview (bypassing the black screen) after the shot in the mode silent picture. Because this greatly interferes with the remote shutter release (LCDsensor Remote, Audio RemoteShot). Thank you and sorry for my English
Unfortunately, my question remained unanswered. Tell me, please, how can I fix this bug? Or is it impossible? Thank you!

dfort

Quote from: Fedya on May 30, 2017, 11:28:19 AM
Unfortunately, my question remained unanswered. Tell me, please, how can I fix this bug? Or is it impossible? Thank you!

It isn't a bug and it isn't specific to the 700D, it is the same on all cameras. A while back it was a problem for a user who was using an EOSM on a DIY film scanner. You can read about it here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19005.msg180531#msg180531

I made a special FRSP_LiveView_Option EOSM build and put it on my bitbucket download page. I'm sure the same "fix" or hack will work for the 700D.

Fedya

Quote from: dfort on May 31, 2017, 03:23:11 AM
It isn't a bug and it isn't specific to the 700D, it is the same on all cameras. A while back it was a problem for a user who was using an EOSM on a DIY film scanner. You can read about it here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19005.msg180531#msg180531

I made a special FRSP_LiveView_Option EOSM build and put it on my bitbucket download page. I'm sure the same "fix" or hack will work for the 700D.
Thank you very much! But, I do not quite understand, I need to install the build magiclantern-FRSP_LiveView_Option.2017Mar14.EOSM202.zip on 700D, or just fix (hack)? If the second, then where to find this fix (hack) and how to install it?

dfort

The fix/hack is here: https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/branch/silent_FRSP_fix

I just tried it on the 700D and it seems to work fine. The screen does blank out when you take a picture and it is saved to the card but LiveView returns without having to do a second half-shutter press. The default is to blank out the screen so you need to turn on the return to LiveView option.

I put a build on my bitbucket downloads page. It is named magiclantern-FRSP_LiveView_Option.2017May31.700D114.zip

Fedya

dfort, thank you very much! Everything is working. You really helped me out! :D :D :D

eddereire

Hey guys.

I am doing a creative project in Work.

Shooting pictures in RAW in live view works fine.
But the moment I enable Ghost Images in live view and take a few shots I get a Dump of

"ML ASSERT:
lv
at ../../src/raw.c:1854 (raw_lv_request), task livev_hiprio_task
lv:0 mode:3"

Could anyone help me with this? Or tell me how to remove the console from the screen once this happens?
I have to restart the camera to get this message to disappear.

oeci

Quick question: What's the state of the port of Magiclantern for the latest Firmware? I know that nobody can tell me when exactly it will be available but maybe someone knows if it's already on it's way to become an official nightly or if it still needs more testing.

dfort

@oeci

The latest firmware is working fine but it needs more testers and feedback on the pull request. You can get a test build from my bitbucket download page.

Looks like the latest build posted is magiclantern-Nightly.2017Feb08.700D115.zip. Anything new in unified that affects the 700D that should be merged for testers?

xorpi

Quote from: dfort on June 11, 2017, 01:44:57 AM
@oeci

The latest firmware is working fine but it needs more testers and feedback on the pull request. You can get a test build from my bitbucket download page.

Looks like the latest build posted is magiclantern-Nightly.2017Feb08.700D115.zip. Anything new in unified that affects the 700D that should be merged for testers?

Good day. I have to say that after a long time, when I once again put the chance of ML due to a startrails / milkiway photography, so the version for the current, the latest canon firmware works ok.
Think Dynamic! #HDR #BW 📸

Photography & FineArt by photofrano 🎨   
www.fb.com/PHOTOFRANO & www.500px.com/PHOTOFRANO

clubsoda

:-[ :-[ :'( :-\ :-\Help me please! So it looks like i just bricked my 700d. Oh Jesus. So i had magic lantern on my camera installed firmware was 1.1.4. Then i launched the normal 1.1.5 update by accident without uninstalling magic lantern. Now my camera boots to the screen "model detection error" (see the attached picture) If i take out the card to boot normally or to do anything with a fresh card, my camera wont boot at all --> black screen. The only thing i can do is go back to this error screen by putting ml files back to the card. I can't get my camera out of this state by myself. Please help me i need my camera.

Walter Schulz

Format card in cardreader and proceed.

Benjaxeye

Hello, I'm having some trouble archieving 1280x720 @24fps MLV RAW 2.0 continous. I have read and seen that it's possible with this camera, however my recording stops at about 27 seconds. My SD card is an original SanDisk Extreme 95 mb/s UHS-3, and I have done some benchmark tests and my write speed is at about 41 mb/s in playback mode, but when recording RAW it drops at about 31-32 mb/s. I can record perfectly in MLV_lite with a write speed of 36.5 mb/s. Is there any reason I can't get MLV 2.0 to work @720 24fps in my cam?

dfort

Quote from: Benjaxeye on June 24, 2017, 06:09:46 PM
...Is there any reason I can't get MLV 2.0 to work @720 24fps in my cam?

Have you tried turning global draw off? Also, what exactly are your settings? Canon menu at 1080p/24 and resize in the ML menu or are you using 720p/60 and changing frame rate to 24fps in ML?

Benjaxeye

Quote from: dfort on June 26, 2017, 03:19:33 AM
Have you tried turning global draw off? Also, what exactly are your settings? Canon menu at 1080p/24 and resize in the ML menu or are you using 720p/60 and changing frame rate to 24fps in ML?

Yes, I have global draw turned off, and pretty much anything else is the default magic lantern settings. In canon menu I selected the option 1920x1080p/24 fps and I resize it to 1280x720 at the Magic Lantern menu; no fps override. With that I get a write speed of 31.5 average. The other settings you mention (720p/60, override to 24) actually give me very consistent recording, even at 1504x846 16:9 aspect ratio, but the caveat is that it squishes the footage by 1.67x; leaving me with a resolution of 1504x508. I'm affraid the stretch will make me lose quality and add to the already somewhat tedious post processing, and I still avereage at 31.5 write speed.

Walter Schulz

Card is formatted with ExFAT file system?

Benjaxeye

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 28, 2017, 02:56:44 AM
Card is formatted with ExFAT file system?

Yes! ExFat 128 kilobit format, and I dont format in camera, so it doesnt go back to fat32

Walter Schulz

Make sure to have loaded MLV_REC.MO only.
Select Canon video settings for 1920p 24fps.
Use ML menu to record 1280x720.
Use ML menu to run 24 fps (fps override).

Record and report back.