Canon 700D / T5i

Started by nanomad, June 01, 2013, 12:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

The only one is 5D3
1080p: And recording time in 1080p using MLV/RAW is about 20 min using fast 128 GB CF-card ...

dfort

Quote from: sdeups on October 20, 2016, 03:50:26 PM
I am worth making beautiful photos and to record full HD over 30 minutes continuously

Not sure what you mean by full HD but perhaps I can share my experience with the 700D. I bought one on ebay because it had a Zacuto finder that was worth the bid price. I was also working on the focus pixel fixing project and thought I'd just sell the camera after I was finished with it. Although it wouldn't be my first choice over similar Canon DSLR's I kept it because it turned out to be quite a nice camera. The "full HD" 1920x1080 H.264 video quality is on par with the other APS-C cameras (except maybe the 7D series) but it is also limited by the hardware if you want to step up to MLV raw video. It can only record around 1280x720 raw video, it has moiré issues and if you want to record over 30 minutes in either raw video or with an external recorder it is going to take a huge amount of memory.

If you are really serious about Magic Lantern then by all means go for the 5D mark III if you can afford it. I've used this camera and can highly recommend it. If you are really serious about shooting video and must have the ability to record over 30 minutes look into a dedicated video camera. The first version of the C100 can be had for about the same price as a 5D mark III so get one of each if you can.

If you just want to play around and get your feet wet in Magic Lantern, then the 700D would be a good choice as would any of the supported models.

Then again if you aren't specifically looking at Magic Lantern or Canon then there are about a zillion other choices.

sdeups

Strange because an friend told me that the 700d with ML allows video recording more than 30 minutes in full HD ..

Walter Schulz

Then ask your friend if he is able to provide a sample without about half a second gap at 29:59.

basilescul

Hello magic lantern people!

Yesterday i got my brand new Canon 700d and today i installed magic lantern on it. It works very good so far but i have a little issue with it.  The issue i'm talking about is with the ISO and WB shortcuts on the display. I went into Pref menu in ML and into Misc key settings and turned on the LCD Sensor Shorcuts, also, checked Arrow/Set shortcuts to ISO and WB and it doesn't work. Yes i tried to restart my camera but still nothing.

What do you think about this?

borja5200

Hi! What's the meaning of the ºC that appear next to audio reccord level? Sometimes 50º appears in orange.

basilescul

it is the temperature of the camera

dfort

Quote from: borja5200 on November 05, 2016, 04:54:08 PM
Hi! What's the meaning of the ºC that appear next to audio reccord level? Sometimes 50º appears in orange.

That's the sensor temperature. Orange is a warning that it is running hot. You might want to shut down the camera and let it cool off a bit.

Quote from: basilescul on November 05, 2016, 04:53:02 PM
Yesterday i got my brand new Canon 700d...I went into Pref menu in ML and into Misc key settings and turned on the LCD Sensor Shorcuts, also, checked Arrow/Set shortcuts to ISO and WB and it doesn't work.

Great--did it come with firmware version 1.1.5? If it did I assume you managed to downgrade it to 1.1.4.

I have never used those shortcuts but they looked interesting so I tried them out and they aren't working here either. Any 700D user out there more familiar with these shortcuts mind commenting on this?

basilescul

QuoteGreat--did it come with firmware version 1.1.5? If it did I assume you managed to downgrade it to 1.1.4.

Actually it came with firmware 1.1.4. 

basilescul

I have another question for you guys.

Do you know why I can't choose the shutter speed of 1/48th instead of 1/50th?  I remember that I once worked with a Canon 60D with ML and I could do the 1/48th shutter speed.

stevedraw

Hi guys,

Read the forum for a year or so now and it's full of great info and very helpful people. Thanks for all your suggestions, patience and time.

I just wanted to let people know DONT INSTALL THE CANON 1.1.5 FIRMWARE UPDATE!! It won't with ML even though a few functions weren't working in 1.1.4 so I updated (as they state in the user guide to newest canon firmware) and it doesn't work.

I just wanted to save anyone who was thinking about it some time.

stevedraw

Also,

Are there any audio features from ML with the 700D? I had a look and couldn't find any and then saw some guys uploading codes but most were removed.

ML on my 600D had great audio features and I'm surprised the 700D build doesn't.

In conclusion, does anyone know how to use the goddamn LCD sensor to change ISO/Kelvin?!? (and maybe even audio levels..?)

Cheers

axelcine

@stevedraw - http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5951.msg154413;topicseen#msg154413 might help you. When the weather is right (no wind) the built-in mikes are excellent, and ML monitors audio with two bars in top of the display.
Good luck.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

stevedraw

@Axel Thanks very much for your reply and suggestion!

I read your previous post and agree with you completely. I never record audio from the built in mics. I have a rode videopro that does the trick nicely. I am going to purchase the Saramonic Smartrig + when I have some spare cash as I think that would be a perfect solution to the poor preamps in my DSLR.

I also found a module that one user kindly made and uploaded that offers an audio sub menu and some controls. I did see the levels on the screen but thought there would be a submenu like on my 600D which is superb.

My main issue now is getting the set button/lcd screen menu to work and stay open. I have set all the right parameters but sometimes the iso/kel menu shows up and sometimes it doesn't. And I have NO idea how to get the secondary part of that menu being the shutter speed and exposure change (av/tv) ....

If you or anyone knows how to set it up right I will be forever in your debt.

I'm going to donate the little that I can now because all ye magic lantern creators and modifiers(?) are doing fantastic work!

stevedraw

Is that angry but highly intelligent and helpful Walter still around?

From reading all 39 pages of this forum he has been unbelievably patient and helpful with his answers and advice.

I just have one question for him - How I use Magic lantern? ... ;)

Seriously though if anyone kows how to work lcd screen iso/kel and tv/av options I will name my child after thee!

I think I might just have to do a reinstall?

basilescul

did the reinstall a couple of times and still does not work

cst

LIVE VIEW mode trough hdmi can i record 1920x1080 or 1280x720? Or i need to crop, resize etc.. like 5mk2 ?

I have ninja 2!

Thanks

stevedraw

@basil Any joy figuring out our predicament? Looked all over the net and can't find any solution...

Anyone know how to use LCD menu with iso/kel controls and av/tv controls... ??

basilescul

@steve still nothing... but do you know how can i set the shutter speed at 1/48th?

stevedraw

@basil Balls! No man can't figure out how to get 1/48th either. The whole thing is really frustrating me now! i guess I'll keep sing my 600D for main camera and use 700D for secondary. i really like the STM lens though with silent, smooth focusing.

Now the menu has started popping up with just the av/tv controls!!

dfort

@stevedraw @basilescul

Don't quite understand the obsession over 1/48 vs. 1/50. Back when I was working as a professional still photographer I had my shutter speeds calibrated by the legendary New York camera repairman, Marty Forscher and he explained to me what was within tolerance and what needed attention. The difference between 1/48 and 1/50 is insignificant.

1/48 = 0.020833333333333
1/50 = 0.02

The cameras you are comparing are probably rounding the shutter speed display differently.

[EDIT] When I switched career from still to motion picture I noticed that the "normal" 180 degree movie camera shutter at 24fps was 1/48 sec. while still cameras were calibrated in full stop increments: 1, 2, 4, 8, 15, 30, 60, 125, 250, 500, 1,000. See the rounding going on?

blizerwin

Hey guys hope you can help me :D

I may that i missed those settings (or searched for the wrong informations via search function in this forum) ...

Can someone tell me how I can setup the sound settings for my 700D via ML? I know there where some settings in the 600D version (since my filmmate is using that cam).

Hope someone can help me.

LG Blizer

Walter Schulz

Only very limited options because DiGiC5 cams sound options not hacked yet. 600D is DiGiC4.
See Downloads https://builds.magiclantern.fm/features.html -> Audio