Canon 700D / T5i

Started by nanomad, June 01, 2013, 12:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim_blind

Quote from: krisdeak on July 19, 2014, 03:52:43 PM
Hey Guys

I only recently discovered that our dear 700D has seamless exposure compensation when using the DOF preview button.
I'm talking about the effect shown here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdaiT5qwJec

So basically, it has the ability of jumping between f1.4 and f7.0 without any noticeable change in exposure.

My big question: do you think it's possible to achieve the same functionality while recording?
(i.e. to have an assigned button or the DOF button itself triggering stop down and working together with this seamless exposure compensation?)
I have a music video in my plans that would utilise this effect, but it's very difficult to achieve any other way...

What are your thoughts?

As far as I know if you shoot in Av, Tv and P modes every setting will be set by camera to correct exposure. So if you are trying to soot video in Av mode and will change your aperture, camera will set sutterspeed and ISO automatically and you will not see the changes on th screen. So if you want to fully control your settings, you probably will shoot in M mode.

krisdeak

Quote from: jim_blind on July 21, 2014, 03:01:08 PM
As far as I know if you shoot in Av, Tv and P modes every setting will be set by camera to correct exposure. So if you are trying to soot video in Av mode and will change your aperture, camera will set sutterspeed and ISO automatically and you will not see the changes on th screen. So if you want to fully control your settings, you probably will shoot in M mode.

OK I can see now I probably wasn't clear enough - I'm looking for an instantaneous, one-button way of quickly switching back and forth between very different apertures (such as wide open and f8) while having my exposure compensated automatically, preferably via ISO.
Just like when using the DOF button in photo mode live view.
And all of this while shooting video...

And my question is:
Is this physically possible with the 700D, if someone took the initiative to code it for ML?

CoolBlueDog

Quote from: mk11174 on July 19, 2014, 01:07:03 AM
you just need to go to image review settings in ml menu and change it from zoom 100% to maybe fast zoom

Wonderful.  That resolved my issue.  There's so much new stuff in ML that I'm just finding my way through it.  Love it so far.  :-)

I'll keep using and let you know if I find anything else that seems to be weird.

gzaloprgm

Quote from: krisdeak on July 22, 2014, 03:01:15 AM
OK I can see now I probably wasn't clear enough - I'm looking for an instantaneous, one-button way of quickly switching back and forth between very different apertures (such as wide open and f8) while having my exposure compensated automatically, preferably via ISO.
Just like when using the DOF button in photo mode live view.
And all of this while shooting video...

And my question is:
Is this physically possible with the 700D, if someone took the initiative to code it for ML?

Ah, so you want something like this: In M mode, you specify your correct exposure, and then while recording, you want to switch both aperture and iso simultaneously, in such a way they cancel each other and keep the exposure the same (without visual flickers).

If you keep ISO on auto, you can kinda do it, but it takes a while for the exposure to readjust. You might be able to fix it in post, but it might be very time consuming and you might encounter artifacts/clipping in the shadows and highlights.

I think it could easily be developed, if magic lantern can change those while recording, both at the same time to avoid flickers.
The main issue I think of is the lack of that many iso and aperture settings:

For instance (keeping constant shutter speed):
ISO 100 200 400 800 1600 3200
F/    1.4  2     2.8  4     5.6    8

So if you wanted a "slower fade" from one position to the other, you would end up seeing the 6 aperture settings, or a flash. More settings can probably be added by using different shutter speed each frame, but it might look weird in a video (if all of the speeds are high, maybe it can be fixed in post adding a fake motion blur)

With a manual lens with a clickless aperture ring, I think it can be done if you keep ISO auto, shoot in raw and then do some exposure compensation on each frame to remove (IIRC There are some Avisynth plugins to do auto exposure)

a1ex

Try expo presets, expo lock, and gradual exposure.

jan_cgn

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 10, 2014, 04:40:16 PM
700D supports UHS-I. But the card's card interface is limited to about 40 MByte/s.
UHS-II support is not possible.

That means it doesnt make sense to get a faster card, right?
Is there any way to remove the crop mode on LV when shooting in less than 1080?

Hieronymus

Hi,

I'm at the verge of buying my first Canon DSLR for video (700D) (Canon runs in the family) and would like to try magic lantern with it. So thank you for all the work!

I was wandering does the t2i audio monitoring via USB cable work for the T5i/700D?

Are the features listed in this matrix http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features up to date with the changes mentioned in this topic?

tmcdanel

I am having trouble installing ML on the 700D T5i with a Mac.
PCs apparently have neat installers but not Mac?

The please direct me to a help page or video.

Found the one in Spanish pero teno muy mal espaniol.
(Auto-correct is hell when you are trying to type bad Spanish.)

I did it the way i remember my T3i install.
- low level format of card on camera. Then stuck the card into the Mac.
- downloaded latest build from http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/
-  Copied 700D_113.fir & autoexec.bin & ML folder to card
- started camera and clicked Trash but nada

Possible problem with boot flag?

Im not sure about this card. It is a Sandisk 32gig but it doesn't have a class# on it. I found it in my camera pack and don't even remember buying it. Card problem?
Magic Lantern Nightly 700D114 build 2016-06-13
Canon Rebel T5i (1.1.3) 700D - EFS 18-135mm & 18-55mm & 300mm lenses
MacBook Pro OSX 10.9 Mavericks

Stedda

Quote from: tmcdanel on August 01, 2014, 10:37:11 PM

I did it the way i remember my T3i install.
- low level format of card on camera. Then stuck the card into the Mac.
- downloaded latest build from http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/
-  Copied 700D_113.fir & autoexec.bin & ML folder to card
- started camera and clicked Trash but nada
You need to run the firmware update before restarting the camera and pressing the trash button...
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

hwfitzjr

Somebodies out there are geniuses working magic for the Canon cameras.  I have a T5i (as well as the Xti and Xsi).  I can't wait to get a full version of Magic Lantern for my T5i.  I am a certified Quality Engineer and willing to do some testing.  Keep up the wonderful work and make the T5i proud to be a member of Magic Lantern.

I thought from the info on the Magic Lantern web page that only two of the major grouping were working on the T5i and they are beta.  Does the nightly builds go beyond this?  I was really referring to the audio functions of Magic Lantern for the T5i.

Walter Schulz

Don't know what "full version" you're referring to.
Use nightly build instead.

koollife

Has anyone find solution for headphone monitoring? on T5i? ... this function is killing me, i need to monitor the sound that comes in through headphone. i'm working like a blind man during shooting i cannot monitor my incoming sound.

wyrlyn

It's technically possible as I heard so I hope someone is working on it. If so please let us know! I also wait for that.

tmcdanel

Koollife: "Has anyone find solution for headphone monitoring? on T5i? ... this function is killing me, i need to monitor the sound that comes in through headphone. i'm working like a blind man during shooting i cannot monitor my incoming sound."

I solved the problem in a ridiculously expensive way with a JuicedLink Riggy-Assist RA333. I needed something i could set and let inexperienced students run, with little post-editing. But the cheaper and more traditional approach is capture the sound separately with a digital recorder, then sync post-editing.

Felipe

Quote from: tmcdanel on August 02, 2014, 08:59:21 PM
ridiculously expensive way with a JuicedLink Riggy-Assist RA333.

Good Preamps cost money and that is a hardware topic
650D-700D

koollife

Thanks for your help Bro, But all we need is Full support like T3i, have been waiting for years for the option. i will  be stupid of my buying 60D and T3i because of common update. please Magic lantern Guru , you made us taste this software , kindly help us with this update.... i'm ready to make donations if money is the issues

godashram

Quote from: koollife on August 02, 2014, 09:33:22 AM
Has anyone find solution for headphone monitoring? on T5i? ... this function is killing me, i need to monitor the sound that comes in through headphone. i'm working like a blind man during shooting i cannot monitor my incoming sound.

I solved this problem by just picking up a tascam dr-60d ($200 at B&H right now) i can feed audio into the camera, record up to 4 channels at the same time (2 xlr, l/r on a 1/4 plug) as well as record audio on the dr-60d directly. Monitoring on camera would be great, BUT even passing clean audio into the camera, the dr-60d recordings sound soooo much better. the ONLY downside so far is it's size...
Canon T5I, EOS M2

tmcdanel

First, i should explain that i currently have both a T5i, which i am trying to get used to, and a T3i.

I cannot find the switch to show the sound meter during video recording in either one. I used to have the sound meter showing in the T3i but i some how turned it off so it does not show. Is it an ML feature or part of the standard Canon firmware?

2. ML for T3i has Audio as the first submenu tab, but there is no ML Audio tab for T5i?  Simply not that complete yet?

3. I don't see a headphone jack on either T3i nor T5i, but ML for T3i has headphone volume. How do you plug in a headphone to both?

tmcdanel

Before i post a question, i check both the ML documentation (which is slow because my internet connection is slow and the Canon manual PDFs, and i Google it, but i usually feel like i am asking a newbie questions that others have already answered.

Wouldn't it be better to have a separate forum section for each Canon model/ML version?

This thread is reeeeally long.

jlahham

Quote from: tmcdanel on August 06, 2014, 08:15:53 PM
Before i post a question, i check both the ML documentation (which is slow because my internet connection is slow and the Canon manual PDFs, and i Google it, but i usually feel like i am asking a newbie questions that others have already answered.

Wouldn't it be better to have a separate forum section for each Canon model/ML version?

This thread is reeeeally long.

Under Modules turn the mlv_rec and mlv_snd on, then restart your cam and the Mic tab will be right there for you. Hope this helps

Malio94

Hi guys, I'm sure this has been asked before, but is there a way to adjust audio levels while recording? (Specifically with the t5i) I love that levels were added onto the main ML screen, but it would be so awesome to get that extra bit of control.

Felipe

Quote from: Malio94 on August 09, 2014, 01:26:45 AM
Hi guys, I'm sure this has been asked before, but is there a way to adjust audio levels while recording? (Specifically with the t5i) I love that levels were added onto the main ML screen, but it would be so awesome to get that extra bit of control.

Install volume module , https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/700d113/downloads/Aug_01_2014_vol_64.zip
Then while you record go to ML Menu and adjust volume
650D-700D

Malio94

Quote from: Felipe on August 09, 2014, 04:35:44 AM
Install volume module , https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/700d113/downloads/Aug_01_2014_vol_64.zip
Then while you record go to ML Menu and adjust volume

Damn dude thank you so much!

Felipe

650D-700D

wyrlyn

when I record video in global draw mode the time indicator keeps flickering and I can't see the elapsed time. Is there a fix for that?