Home for Raw footage shot with ML Raw on 6D.

Started by noisyboy, May 31, 2013, 11:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noisyboy

There are tonnes of videos out there showing off the stunning capabilities of raw shooting on other cameras but barely any shot on the 6D. I think this is mostly down to us waiting and praying for a break through to allow us to shoot 1080p continuous footage but with the limitations of write speeds to SD cards we aren't quite there.

Still... What we do have is continuous shooting at resolutions that easily pan the ass of the 1080p h.264 codec when upscaled, on a medium that is dirt cheap in comparison to CF cards and to top it off an unbeatable performance in low light sensitivity.

So! What I would like to challenge the ML 6D community with is to get out your 6D, grab a handful of batteries and SD cards and just go out there and shoot - for no other reason than just to effin shoot (after all - that's what you bought it for right?) :)

While test videos and comparisons are of course totally welcome and greatly encouraged, it would be great to see some shorts or even montages that have been graded and post processed and really show off what we can get out of it.

I know you're probably thinking it's silly to start a thread without anything to add to it but I just wanted to get the ball rolling and challenge others to do what I myself am about to do which is stop obsessing over how good this could be and just go out and appreciate how great it already is :)

Also - if you see anything else that's just lying around the internet, feel free to share it here.

Look forward to seeing your work!

xNiNELiVES

It's true I'm waiting for anything near a 1880 X 800 (2.35 aspect ratio). I'm doubting that 720p upscale to 1080 could look as good as 1080p h264.

1%

Try it and see :)  It does. That h264 went through like 3 resize operations.

noisyboy

I hear ya but lucky for me - most things I shoot are in scope anyway so I get continuous 1536 width (which completely olds up and looks better in my opinion) or 1600/1664 width on cuttaways  8)

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on June 01, 2013, 12:58:40 AM

Lol! Yeah come on xNINELIVES! Time you took the plunge mate ;)

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: noisyboy on June 01, 2013, 01:04:52 AM
Lol! Yeah come on xNINELIVES! Time you took the plunge mate ;)

Yeah, maybe your right... Its just the Raw recording files keep updating, do you just replace the old files with the new files? The zips you archived in your post include files modified by you. Where can I find the original source files that you archived?

Also I don't have a 45mb/s card yet... Need to get one of those or get a extreme pro.

Quote from: 1% on June 01, 2013, 12:58:40 AM

Where is the footage comparison?

1%

noisyboy

I actually haven't modified anything in the latest zip and don't intend to from now on so I'll edit the guide. Nothing was actually modified as such anyway. There is an option to boot modules automatically on boot. All I did is enable this and then save the files to the zip. Nothing was modified as such. Wouldn't know where to begin 8)

noisyboy

Oh and yes - all you do to update is copy and paste the files from the latest zip to the SD card, replacing the old ones 8)

Anyway - let's talk about that over here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5530.msg43896;topicseen#msg43896

:)

xNiNELiVES

Thank you both.

To noisyboy: thanks for not modifying any new packages. That'd give everyone a nice stock experience. It's kinda like an OCD thing for me.

Anyways I bought a sandisk 32gb extreme pro. I should be able to test as soon as it arrives.

fotojohni

First one to post a video!  Yeah, if you guys like it I'll make a tutorial for how my work flow works.  The trick is to batch process as much as possible because the render and sequencing times are enormously large. 

I sort of learned as I went how to get the best look.  One thing to consider is that moire and aliasing are often invisible until you sequence it in full HD.  Moire brush can work well, but often slight differences in the algorithm will show in between the frames.  My favorite is actually to use the de-noise algorithm, maybe a little bit and keep the details up and defringe under the lens corrections tab, just max out the sliders. 

After that I upscale using After Effects, I believe it's bicubic.  At this point it's at pretty much the same level interms of sharpness as H.264, maybe a little higher.  However, the color details are massively higher.  Youtube fucks it ofcourse, obviously none of the macroblocking is in there on my computer. 

fotojohni

Does anyone know how to embed to autoplay in HD?  Might just not be possible

noisyboy

Quote from: fotojohni on June 02, 2013, 03:12:05 AM
First one to post a video!

Nice - thanks man! About time someone posted up in here :)

Real shame about moire and aliasing on the water.  It makes me wonder more and more about whether or not there is a moire filter somewhere in the chain between raw and h.264 (or on the flip side, something that is making it worse). I shot a load of stuff the other day in the country with h.264 (so plenty of water and trees) and could barely even notice it compared to what I get out of raw. I love what I can get out of the raw module but it's a real shame that anything that even hints at aliasing/moire is pretty much a no-go :(

Anyway - cheers man! What resolution did you shoot at do you mind me asking?

Thanks.

fotojohni

Quote from: noisyboy on June 02, 2013, 04:19:36 AM
Anyway - cheers man! What resolution did you shoot at do you mind me asking?

1.5K @ 2.67:1 That was with my card getting 33MB/s.

With new card I can get 1.5K @ 2.35, which is nice.   Only a 1.25 crop, still very large.  The issue is that the moire is effectively being magnified by 1.25. Not good.

I wonder how much the mosaic antimoire filter helps... I might have to buy one of those.  It's just the way the h.264 algorithm is set up.  I think it has a denoise algorithm built in and that both reduces detail, thus reducing card speed requirements, and reduces moire.  Try putting the "dust and scratches" filter in premiere on.  Definite reduction of detail but also reduction in moire.

Plus I had no idea what I was doing with some of the clips.  I shot hand held because I was traveling and didn't have a tripod and I seriously didn't think I would do anything with the footage, then I popped it into ACR and was blown away.  I got a little carried away with the colors, but maybe you won't believe me when I tell you that the saturation is on average @ -30.  I had to turn it down.  Really a stunning day, very lucky.  Too bad about the ridiculous moire though.

Emanuel

My first 6D raw test - 2.40 AR shot 1408x592 re-sized to 1728x720

Virindi

Just testing with my Sigma 50-500mm @ 500mm. 1536x624 turned into 2048x832 jpegs in camera raw. Then down to 1920.

And x5 lol this is crazy. 2500mm.
Edit: replaced 2500mm test by better one.

thefix

Some great test videos, it will be nice when the Moire issues with the 6d is resolved. I would expect more from a higher end camera, but hey who the hell am I anyways.
600D

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Virindi on June 04, 2013, 09:40:21 PM
Just testing with my Sigma 50-500mm @ 500mm. 1536x624 turned into 2048x832 jpegs in camera raw. Then down to 1920.

And x5 lol this is crazy. 2500mm.
Edit: replaced 2500mm test by better one.

How the hell are you recording at 5x? Just hit record after using the live view zoom? This feature is implemented with ML? Never knew this...

BTW I was laughing my ass off when you told in the edit that the horse wasn't injured or mental because it was standing still. lol

Virindi

Yes, with raw you can record in x5 live view it is still an optical zoom. You need a good lens of course.
In my tests I really see a difference in sharpness between the real 500mm from my Sigma and the x5 of my 24-105. But it's still ok and can be handheld thanks to stabilization.

Virindi

Ok I'm a noob in video editing so I'm just playing.. :)
At least it begins to look decent, I checked the distance reported by the lens, I'm amazed by the details I get.

Virindi

Hi. I captured another bird at liveview x5 yesterday.
I can't understand why the shadows get darker when the bird moves..?
I opened all the DNGs with Camera Raw, saved as jpeg with strong color and light correction, then just put together with virtual dub (I'm a noob in video editing...)

Virindi

Am I the only one with a 6D or what?
Ok I tried a new workflow on this quick shot.
Imported the .dng sequence in AE, adjusted with Camera RAW directly, upscaled from 1536 to 1920 with instant HD, and exported with a real H264 codec. You can't imagine how I struggle to learn how to use AE for the first time.
The result is much cleaner than the previous shots at least on the saved files more than on youtube, and the shadows don't seem to be flickering as with the bird.
Since it's a 1:1 crop from sensor, lens quality is more of a limit than actual shot resolution now.

Now to learn how to really edit and put some clips together. :)

fotojohni

pio_hyun

asombrir

I shot this handheld in a graveyard on my 6D with 55 mamiya prime. Ended up using Gopro Cineform studio to grade and compile into video then Premiere to resize and edit the footage. I need to try a more pure? workflow, but the ease of Cineform on a pc is nice.

http://youtu.be/ooZPoQaiy9M

Going to try something more serious next. I have a couple shoots coming up. I did also shoot some simple shots to compare raw vs raising the bitrate on 8bit compression.