Dng Preview in Mac OsX Finder

Started by swinxx, May 31, 2013, 07:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swinxx

Is it possible to preview the generated Dng files in the finder of Mac Os 10.8?

I can only see a black window..

Thx sw

RenatoPhoto

In this Tutorial
RAW Video: PostProcessing -- Beginners Guide --
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5654.0

.. you will find a link for

How to view DNG thumbnails in Windows:

Read it..

Explore that link and find out if they make a similar codec you can install in Mac.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

swinxx

hi renato.
have checked the link but only find the description for windows.
for mac i can not find anything for preview..
thx.

Hazer

On a Mac, if you batch the .dng files through Adobe's DNG Converter utility, which is a free download, Finder will then be able to display them.  This is a quick process.  Once you install the utility, you can click on any .dng file and it will open the utility.  One more click can batch the entire folder.  Make sure you have compression turned off, embedded .jpg turned off, and so forth.  The file sizes will actually be a little smaller when you're done.

Note that the files will still be .dng files -- I think DNG Converter just rewrites the metadata in a way that Finder can see.  Finder doesn't always display the colors correctly, but at least you'll be able to see thumbnails and use Quicklook without loading up an app.

Bioskop.Inc

I started off using Adobe DNG Converter, but it precesses the files for you - they don't come out as a flat Raw-like files & they get smaller in size.
Have since moved to using RPP (Raw Photo Processor) & it has everything you need to convert them to many different flavours of TIFF or JPEG in a batch. You also get all the options to alter DNGs: Hot Pixel remover, WB, RGB&Luma, Exposure, Sharpness, 4 preset curves (Film-like, L, Gamma & Colorimetric Gamma), some really nice Film emulation presets & lots more.

If you want a proper free editing program (cause you don't have PS etc...), then some people have recommended using: Darktable & Raw Therapee

scrax

Quote from: Hazer on June 01, 2013, 02:26:54 AM
On a Mac, if you batch the .dng files through Adobe's DNG Converter utility, which is a free download, Finder will then be able to display them.  This is a quick process.  Once you install the utility, you can click on any .dng file and it will open the utility.  One more click can batch the entire folder.  Make sure you have compression turned off, embedded .jpg turned off, and so forth.  The file sizes will actually be a little smaller when you're done.

Note that the files will still be .dng files -- I think DNG Converter just rewrites the metadata in a way that Finder can see.  Finder doesn't always display the colors correctly, but at least you'll be able to see thumbnails and use Quicklook without loading up an app.
That can beintegrated into raw2dng.app, I've made some test. It need ADC installed in the default location.
What are yous opinions is something needed in raw2dng.app?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

CaptainHook

Quote from: scrax on June 01, 2013, 06:40:35 PM
That can beintegrated into raw2dng.app, I've made some test. It need ADC installed in the default location.
What are yous opinions is something needed in raw2dng.app?

If raw2dng is modified to produce cinemaDNG files, OSX will be able to create previews for them just like with BMCC DNGs (that don't contain embedded previews), so ADC would be redundant and is probably the better long-term goal. ADC might make some people happy for now though, maybe as an option though?

scrax

Quote from: CaptainHook on June 02, 2013, 12:34:49 PM
If raw2dng is modified to produce cinemaDNG files, OSX will be able to create previews for them just like with BMCC DNGs (that don't contain embedded previews), so ADC would be redundant and is probably the better long-term goal. ADC might make some people happy for now though, maybe as an option though?

Using raw2cdng.exe from chmee with mono gives dng's with preview working ;)
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

swinxx

Great. So if its possible we need a mac version.
Thx