3 days with 5dIII ML compare to 50D TL

Started by kichetof, January 27, 2014, 11:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kichetof

Hi everybody,

First thing, THANK YOU !
I bought a 5dIII 3 weeks ago and 3 days ago, I installed ML on it.

Hum... it was finger in the nose! 5 minutes to install it! Thanks dev!

After a long day of shoot, I compare my new 5dIII with my old but lovely 50d with TL installed.
I noticed these changes between both (I compare only the missing or strangely thing from 5d):

• There're not advertising/warning/option to keep ML when you format card (SD or CF)
  • When the image is displayed in playback mode, the "image dot" (or graph/ettr? balaying from top to bottom take a "long time" 1-2s, when ettr it's enabled, there no drawing/dot balaying. (approximatively instantly on 50d, 1% solved it (it's seem to be here), I will trace the source to find the commit)
  • I just playing whit MLV Rec but I'm not a filmmaker, so I don't have a great knowledge.

Concretely, I was not lost between the 2 versions and the difference is minor. And I'm very happy! The Q button it's a real plus!

I wanted to give you my experience. I'm not very active on forum, but I follow every posts and commits :)

Many thanks to you Dev to perform your great work !
Tof

chris_overseas

Quote from: kichetof on January 27, 2014, 11:25:28 PM

• When the image is displayed in playback mode, the "image dot" (or graph/ettr? balaying from top to bottom take a "long time" 1-2s, when ettr it's enabled, there no drawing/dot balaying. (approximatively instantly on 50d, 1% solved it (it's seem to be here), I will trace the source to find the commit)

Thanks for the observations. If you can find the commit for the above issue then I'll have a go at applying it - I'm poking around in the ETTR code already anyway.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

a1ex

Quote from: kichetof on January 27, 2014, 11:25:28 PM
When the image is displayed in playback mode, the "image dot" (or graph/ettr? balaying from top to bottom take a "long time" 1-2s, when ettr it's enabled, there no drawing/dot balaying. (approximatively instantly on 50d)

The fast overlays are YUV and the slow ones are RAW. Note that if there's no raw data available for whatever reason, the overlays will fall back to YUV silently.

Of course, if you feel like optimizing the drawing code, it's not a bad idea. Current code is pretty generic, handles both regular and dual ISO shots with the same code, but this does make it a little slower. It also uses raw_get_pixel, which is kinda slow (a faster routine would use struct raw_pixblock * directly; there are examples in raw2dng.c, in and in raw.c:autodetect_white_level). Also, focus peaking code and RGB zebras are optimized pretty well, so you may borrow ideas from there too.

kichetof

Thank's "Audionut" for the commits, it's exactly what I think.

Thank's A1ex for your informations and the time! I'll trying to understand how to make it :)

I need to successfuly compile source on my mac (I had some difficulty with TL).

I'll try to find an elegant way to integrate the value of ETTR into the exif to make some generic preset for LR.
I need some time to understand hex and arm... respect guys !