Magic Lantern Cinema Camera?

Started by AnotherDave, May 31, 2013, 02:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherDave

Hey,
So... I'm just thinking.

Is it about time ML starts thinking about making it's own cinema camera?

What this incredible group of people - developers, tester, thinkers, etc - have been able to do with existing hardware in such a short period of time...
imagine what could be possible if they were to create a completely new system from the ground up!

That is one Kickstarter campaign I would happily fund!

Novosibirets

Quote from: AnotherDaveThat is one Kickstarter campaign I would happily fund!
If that ever happens, together with you will be happy to support the project on Kickstarter.

Quote from: AnotherDaveMagic Lantern Cinema Camera
Simply...

Magic Camera

KenFTW

Yomommassis

Cinema Lantern
I would support it
EOS 5D MkIII (ML alpha 3)| EOS 5D MkII (ML v2.3) | EOS 7D (ML alpha 2) | EOS T2i (ML v2.3)
f/2.8 70-200MM L USM | f/1.4 50mm USM | f/1.4 35mm L USM | T/1.5 24mm
Zoom H4n | Rode NTG2

Novosibirets

Quote from: YomommassisCinema Lantern
This variant likes me too!

N/A

Quote from: Novosibirets on May 31, 2013, 05:33:34 PM
If that ever happens, together with you will be happy to support the project on Kickstarter.
Simply...

Magic Camera

Easy on the huge font, please.

Considering most of the devs live in different countries, it would be an extremely difficult undertaking.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

1%

Where would we buy the sensors and where would they fab it without huge up front order?

vroem

Apertus promised a crowdfunding campaign somewhere this year ...

Sebastian

Actually we at apertus° want Axiom (http://axiom.apertus.org/) to be like the ultimate magic lantern camera. A high end camera that can easily be modified by its users for their needs and wishes in every possible aspect.
Just without all the reverse engineering and blinking out and decompiling of firmware as everything related to Axiom will be free/open and well documented. We hope that won't take the fun out of it :)

Skorpio89

if it is so it would be a best seller :D

noisyboy

I work in creating visual content for Digital Marketing and Social Media. I would GLADLY offer some of my time to helping create a Kickstarter campaign ;)

noisyboy

Quote from: Sebastian on May 31, 2013, 11:04:57 PM
Actually we at apertus° want Axiom (http://axiom.apertus.org/) to be like the ultimate magic lantern camera. A high end camera that can easily be modified by its users for their needs and wishes in every possible aspect.
Just without all the reverse engineering and blinking out and decompiling of firmware as everything related to Axiom will be free/open and well documented. We hope that won't take the fun out of it :)

Dude - are you a part of this? I absolutely love your ethics and ideas surrounding this project Sebastian. I really do wish you the best of luck in this! Anything I can do to offer help please let me know. It's just a shame that whenever a great project like this appears - the ugly head of Capitalism marches through and tries to ruin everyone day8)

JulianH

Quote from: 1% on May 31, 2013, 06:27:22 PM
Where would we buy the sensors and where would they fab it without huge up front order?

www.cmosis.com

They're in Belgium, small company, startup. Great future ahead though.
They make the 24MP fullframe sensor for the new Leica M and (not officially confirmed, but they don't deny it either) the BlackMagic 4K.

Not saying this all isn't extremely difficult. But I'm pretty sure CMOSIS would be open minded :)

AnotherDave

Maybe Apertus & Magic Lantern could create a crowd funded campaign to put those Axiom cameras into the hands
of ML developers and testers?

I'd buy into that too!

krashnik

I vote for funding what we already have and taking ML to the next level.  Add better support here on the site, give the Devs some money for servers & pro bitbucket accounts, etc.

I have opened a thread about this.  If we get funding to support the existing ML firmware, then we could potentially take it a degree further.  Regardless, we as a team need to see this project as fruitful and put energy into that direction.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: AnotherDave on May 31, 2013, 02:44:30 PM
Hey,
So... I'm just thinking.

Is it about time ML starts thinking about making it's own cinema camera?

What this incredible group of people - developers, tester, thinkers, etc - have been able to do with existing hardware in such a short period of time...
imagine what could be possible if they were to create a completely new system from the ground up!

That is one Kickstarter campaign I would happily fund!

Im in  ;D

g3gg0

build an own camera?
sorry to say that. this idea is totally nuts :)

a) beyond our scope

b) its nuts.

just an educated guess:
3 years development
developers: 200k€
investment: 500k€

material: 2k€ per camera
licenses: 0,5k€ per camera
manufacturing: 1k€ per camera
pcb yield: 80%
=> per camera net cost: 4,3k€

estimated volume: 200 p.a.
=> per camera cost: 8k€

and then we didnt earn any money at all.
to much risk to lose 1M€ for... what?

i prefer to buy a Canon EOS.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

g3gg0

http://www.eoshd.com/content/10517/an-incredible-achievement-roald-christessen-builds-his-own-raw-cinema-camera-and-grading-software

according to the article, the camera price estimation is quite good.
only that he did it within 1.5 years, which is remarkably good.
i wonder which equipment he brought with him into this project.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!