T3i RAW vs HDMI Uncompressed to Shuttle2

Started by andjarnic, May 30, 2013, 11:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andjarnic

Hi all,

Like many I am super excited about this ML development with RAW, but dismayed because of the Txi 21Mb/s limit reducing the maximum resolution possible.

First, with a theoretical maximum 21mb/s, will it ever be possible to get 1920x1080 RAW? I am guessing no, what about 1280x720?

Is there any chance a stripped down ML that is ONLY for RAW video record (e.g... nothing extra.. just purely focussed on RAW recording, not photos, HDR, etc).. by removing any/all unnecessary components to the ML files, would there be room to add code that *might* be able to compress the RAW stream so as to maybe get 1920x1080 compressed RAW (preferrably lossless or ProRes/DNxHD quality)?

Assuming the above is all no, and the best we're going to see is the 960x540... will that resolution, upscaled to 1920x1080 look a lot better than using the 1620x1080 clean HDMI out when the 1620x1080 is cropped and resized to 1920x1080?

I ask because I have the Shuttle 2 HDMI recorder, and am wondering since I have it, if it's better to just use that option and forget the RAW capability, or if resizing RAW would not add too much distortion/loss in quality and be better than the HDMI out?

Here's to hoping the ML pros can get better RAW resolution out of our TxI's.

1%

The raw with resize is better than YUV. You could always compare... plus the HDMI is interlaced (no 5d3 new fw yet so I dunno what they did).

Stripping down or any of that is nonsense.. ML isn't doing anything to slow down the edmac + sd interface. Pulling features just means you won't have them when you're not shooting raw.

Another option will be recording YUV in camera instead of HDMI to get progressive frames. A crop of the YUV will be slightly smaller than the raw.

andjarnic

Thank you Developer. I wish I had the bravery to build the nightly code.. I am a developer myself, but haven't touched C in years.. stick to Java and the web languages myself. :)

So, really then, my Shuttle 2 and HDMI out is pointless? Man.. I wish I had read this 4 days ago..my T2i is awesome except the HDMI died..so I just spent $350 to have a T3i refurb sent. If the RAW on SD Card is BETTER (even upsized to 1920x1080) than the HDMI out uncompressed.. I could have just kept my T2i and recorded RAW!! Oh well.. I suppose the flip out screen will be useful at some point.

So really the only drawback to the 960x540 is the lack of detail due to 1/4 the pixel count when recording the same frame of video?

With that in mind, what is the best way to resize the DNGs to 1920x1080 to try to preserve the best quality possible?

My only thought on stripping other stuff out was to reduce the code for all the other features to make more room to put in code that may be able to compress the RAW so that a higher resolution would be able to fit within the 21mb/s SD write speed. I don't know if the processor could handle compression code (would it be fast enough to compress RAW even slightly in real-time?).

You guys are amazing..I've no doubt you'll find a way to get the Txi's up to 1280x720 resolution!