MAC users-DNG processing: If you don't have PS, LR or AE (or even if you do)

Started by Bioskop.Inc, May 29, 2013, 03:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bioskop.Inc

I've been struggling with processing the DNG files since i don't have an Adobe product like Photoshop etc...
At first i was using Adobe's free DNG Converter, but it wasn't great - well pretty awful actually!
Then a photographer friend suggested using "RPP (Raw Photo Processor)" as he's been using it as a first step before moving his files to PS.

It makes them into TIFFs or JPEGs & there are loads of different flavours of each.
It has all the things you need, but the only thing missing is a de-noiser - but you could do that with something else.
And no sliders! (but i always hated those).
It also has some great pre-sets for Kodak film emulation etc.
And it does Batch exports.

Really impressed by this program.
Also, if you donate, you can get the source code to mess about with!

Here's a small taste of the Film Stock presets within RPP:
https://vimeo.com/67223392

Think they look pretty good & that's all i used within RPP, whilst in FCPX i just reduced Global Exposure by -5.

Murphy

For stills, I've really enjoyed using Darktable for processing raw photos http://www.darktable.org/ openSource which is a definite win in my book.

For DNG video sequences, I was using AE to process everything, but recently i've started using ufraw and ffmpeg to batch convert things for offline proxies, which is nice cause I can write a shell script to automate the process and go drink coffee while the computer thinks, but you're going to need something higher end like AE or Resolve for the online finishing. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of low end video editing software out there that will handle raw image sequences. Maybe Lightworks if EditShare ever get around to releasing the openSource version.

Will defs give RPP a look though.

jhall07

Easiest workflow I have seen is take them into photoshop, use the ACR, then export as tiffs and process through quicktime pro as an image sequence. But that does require Photoshop and Quicktime Pro, no AE, LR or Premiere though.

Bioskop.Inc

Quote from: Murphy on May 29, 2013, 04:12:03 PM
For stills, I've really enjoyed using Darktable for processing raw photos http://www.darktable.org/ openSource which is a definite win in my book.

Darktable looks really good - thanks for that Murhpy!

Quote from: jhall07 on May 29, 2013, 04:54:39 PM
Easiest workflow I have seen is take them into photoshop, use the ACR, then export as tiffs and process through quicktime pro as an image sequence. But that does require Photoshop and Quicktime Pro, no AE, LR or Premiere though.

Yeah, as i said in the title its if you've got no Photoshop etc... Also, some photographers don't like the way ACR handles Raw & so that's why RPP was suggested to me - i use FCPX

Bioskop.Inc

Quote from: alexunderboots on June 14, 2013, 04:51:40 PM
its my RPP https://vimeo.com/68351075

Do you mean that you made it?
If so this has been the best Raw processor that i've used & has been a complete blessing for ML raw files!
Everything about it is simple & powerful - love the Film Emulation presets!
Amazing!

AnotherDave

Just you Resolve Lite (*it is free) and works pretty quickly for converting raw to ProRes HQ.

RAWMagic
Resolve Lite

Should be all you need.  Really.

Bioskop.Inc

Quote from: AnotherDave on June 14, 2013, 05:12:06 PM
Just you Resolve Lite (*it is free) and works pretty quickly for converting raw to ProRes HQ.

RAWMagic
Resolve Lite

Should be all you need.  Really.

If only it were that simple!
Resolve doesn't work on my Mac - it isn't the newest & i'm not buying a new one (also still using Snow Leopard).

AnotherDave

Desktop or Laptop?

I had to upgrade my graphics card... cost me like $100.

Bioskop.Inc

Quote from: AnotherDave on June 14, 2013, 09:28:08 PM
Desktop or Laptop?

I had to upgrade my graphics card... cost me like $100.

iMac 2007 (yes don't laugh!) & it really isn't worth it even if they could - i'm just surprised/happy that FCPX works on it.
I will upgrade at some point, just waiting for it to burst into flames!

Also, really like RPP - it has some really nice Film Emulation presets & it is actually a really powerful little beast of a program. 

alexunderboots

Quote from: Bioskop.Inc on June 14, 2013, 05:01:21 PM
Do you mean that you made it?
If so this has been the best Raw processor that i've used & has been a complete blessing for ML raw files!
Everything about it is simple & powerful - love the Film Emulation presets!
Amazing!

my workflow:
RAW split in raw2dng
RPP default folder presents for each folder
batch RPP folder convert to jpeg (in last movie the are ±24000 jpeg)
batch folder convert to .mov with tlassemble
then premiere+AE

i use this script to batch folder conert in automator

for dir in "$@"
do
   tlassemble "$dir" "$dir.mov" -fps 24 -codec h264 -quality high
done