Lens for video...

Started by ShootingStars, July 24, 2013, 09:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootingStars

Right now I have a full frame with a 40mm 2.8 STM (my widest lens) for video.

I am looking to buy a WIDER lens for video and photography, but am stuck between:
17-40mm F4
35mm F1.4

Which one should I choose? I know that the wider the lens, the greater the depth of field which is good for videos. But the 35mm is just so good for photography...

N.Mendes

Go for the 35 1.4 dude, the 17-40 is too restricted in term of aperture..

F.4, you are fuck**ed in too much situations.. Don't expect to shoot in night with it..
And the depth of field doesn't worth the f1.4 one..

eatstoomuchjam

Quote from: ShootingStars on July 24, 2013, 09:58:38 PM
Right now I have a full frame with a 40mm 2.8 STM (my widest lens) for video.

I am looking to buy a WIDER lens for video and photography, but am stuck between:
17-40mm F4
35mm F1.4

Which one should I choose? I know that the wider the lens, the greater the depth of field which is good for videos. But the 35mm is just so good for photography...

You should rent each one for a week and try it to see if it suits your style of shooting.  Nobody can tell you which lens you'll like more.

mageye

I use Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC and I have to say I have been pretty impressed with it on many levels. It is relatively cheap and I think it competes with lenses that are more expensive.

What I like about it is that it's dynamic (as in useful for many situations), fast, sharp (from about f/2.8 ), fairly wide (alike 50mm), sweet bokeh (rounded).

I have been really surprised at the quality of this lens for the price (around £350 when I got it).

Oh it's also a Prime and it's fully manual (I prefer that for film)
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

mvejerslev

I'd go with the 35 1.4 myself. Its not that wide, but the look of that lens is phenomenal. Do also consider Canons latest IS primes. IS can help quite a lot on handheld shots.
5D Mark II, PC

ShootingStars

Quote from: mvejerslev on July 25, 2013, 04:09:20 AM
I'd go with the 35 1.4 myself. Its not that wide, but the look of that lens is phenomenal. Do also consider Canons latest IS primes. IS can help quite a lot on handheld shots.
I use a Steadicam Merlin so handheld is moot. 35mm 1.4L it is. Thanks guys.

Chungdha

If you want really wide buy Canon 10-22mm and remove the rubber on the back then you can use that lens at 11mm which probably be the widest lens that covers the whole sensor plus does not give you a fisheye effect. Plus being so wide everything is in focus so you dont have to change focus at all on the steadicam.

KSphoto

I have a Canon 28 1.8 and a new Sigma 35 1.4 DG. Both are great lenses. The 28 is cheap, fast and wide with low distortion. It is not the the best for IQ but I am rarely let down. The new Sigma is extremely sharp and has excellent Image Quality. Its built really well and looks great! It is directly comparable to the Canon L version but will save you a 4 to 5 hundred bucks. Not sure about its long term durability compared to the L but it is a very solid lens. If you are using this lens on a hand held rig I would suggest going small and light. The 28 is very compact and light. Both lenses have a fairly short focus throw.
5DC, 5D2, 5D3, EOS M, too many lenses.