ARGH my 5D3 is Bricked!

Started by johnha, May 29, 2013, 12:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnha

Well, I was following Cinema 5D's instructions for installing magic lantern on my 5D3 and it now appears to be bricked. It happened at Step 16 where after using Macboot, I put the SD card into the camera and now it won't turn on at all. All that happens is the battery symbol blinks on the top LCD.

I've tried different batteries, different cards, fully charged batteries, etc.

A real bummer. But I guess that is one of the risks of trying out alpha or pre-alpha software.

Before I send it in to Canon, are there any things I could try to attempt to unbrick my camera?

Thanks kindly in advance!
-John

LeviBetz

I don't know anything, but have you seen this article? http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/unbricking

1%

Try with no card and pull battery then re-install it.

Shield

I've also heard that you can put a freshly formatted CF/SD card with the Canon 1.1.3 firmware in the root and pull the battery and try it.

Not trying to step on 1%'s advice; his is great too.  Just trying to come up with something.

AnotherDave

Same thing happened to me when I accidentally made the CF card bootable without ML on it.

g3gg0

when only the battery symbol is blinking, then its not the main processor that has a problem.
-> doesnt look like a ML problem.

reason: ML only runs on the Digic, but the processor that handles battery mgmt and LCD is the Tx19a, which isnt touched at all. (and we even dont know how to touch yet)

did you check your battery contacts?
first try to get the battery symbol showing the correct charge.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

graham3141

I just recently got a 1000x lexar card and decided to test out shooting in raw with my 5D Mark II, I did with success. A few days later I did a shoot (not in raw) and decided to switch to using my friends 5D Mark II, I stuck my card in and things seemed ok then he gets an error

"Err 06, Self Cleaning Sensor Unit Malfunction. Consult with Canon Service Centre."

He proceeds to turn the camera off and back on at which point it will now only

display a flashing empty battery symbol on the top LCD.

So we continue the shoot and put the card back in my camera, everything seems okay. Half way through magic lantern disappears on my camera, I thought "hey that's odd, but whatever". When the shoot is over I take the camera inside and like magic my camera is doing the same. Taking the battery out, formatting cards, turning it on in different dial modes nothing works. Then I plug mine into an ac adapter (mine had had magic lantern working on it before) and suddenly it was revived and works fine. However my friend has not been so lucky. Any advice?  :(

stier

You should have some experience with Magic Lantern before attempting to run nightly builts.
Pull the battery, pull the bootflagged card. Insert clean, unflagged and freshly formatted card. Insert battery.
It doesn't boot? Not Magic Lantern's fault!
Does it boot? Hooray!

Shield

Quote from: johnha on May 29, 2013, 12:55:27 AM
Well, I was following Cinema 5D's instructions for installing magic lantern on my 5D3 and it now appears to be bricked. It happened at Step 16 where after using Macboot, I put the SD card into the camera and now it won't turn on at all. All that happens is the battery symbol blinks on the top LCD.

I've tried different batteries, different cards, fully charged batteries, etc.

A real bummer. But I guess that is one of the risks of trying out alpha or pre-alpha software.

Before I send it in to Canon, are there any things I could try to attempt to unbrick my camera?

Thanks kindly in advance!
-John

So was your camera ever actually bricked? Trying to find some sort of evidence that recent ML builds with raw video has ever completely bricked anyone's camera at all...

g3gg0

well, he posted once and never replied to questions regarding how to track down and fix the problem.
i think he already solved it on his own as there are some videos and stuff from him on this forum.
maybe just the battery was dead.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

johnha

Just wanted to follow up on this thread, sorry for the radio silence.

My camera was bricked but my circumstances were unusual. My camera had a problem after it came back from Canon service (for a broken HDMI port) where it couldn't recognize the battery. So, when I turned it on it would say something like unrecognized battery, press Set to continue. When I set the bootflag on, the camera got confused when it rebooted and encountered the battery message. That's when it bricked and became unresponsive. I tried a lot of things, but resigned myself to send it back in for service. But I'm a procrastinator, so I let it sit for a while and after leaving the battery out for a couple weeks, I tried to turn it on and it had magically un-bricked itself.

I still sent the camera in for service to fix the unrecognized battery problem. They fixed it and said it was the result of a dirty contact. But now the display inside the viewfinder won't work. ARGH. But that's another story...