Not possible to completely uninstall magic lantern from 5D Mark III?

Started by Mei Lewis, May 28, 2013, 03:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostfeliz

I'm having this bootflag issue, too. I had the official Alpha 3 running fine. When I tried to install a nightly build to get the RAW module working, things went awry. When I turn it on, it soon announces the loading of the bootflag along with a smile. The firmware reads as 1.1.3-ml-v2.3.NEXT. When I hit the Trash button, no Magic Lantern menus come up.

I wouldn't mine not being able to uninstall the flag, if Magic Lantern was working, but it's not.

Anyone out there who has this bootflag issue, but has Magic Lantern working?

UPDATE: I kept fiddling (worried about bricking camera with each step), but finally got everything working.
Steps I took:
1) I deleted all the ML files from the SD card. and replaced them with the official 5diii alpha build files.
2) I started up the 5diii with the Alpha 3 on the SD card. The Alpha 3 ML started working again on the 5diii.
3) Then I copied Canon firmware 1.1.3 onto the SD card. I was able to 'update' the 5diii firmware to 1.1.3. (i don't remember every step in that or if there were any issues).
4) then i carefully followed the guide at planet5D -- http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=17898
5) and it worked. the bootflag issue disappeared!

CONCLUSION: I think tried to simply update the Alpha 3 to the latest build. Maybe this is what's been happening to others. Good luck!!

BerlinChan

My solution to uninstall ML & remove bootFlag on 5DIII
I try the ML RAW Video on my friend's 5DIII,it works well,and then I should revert it.
Here is my method(I use CF card only, SD card not used):
1.With a Magic Lantern card, launch the V1.2.1 Canon Firmware Update process and follow the instructions on-screen, let the update complete;
2.Reboot Camera, Format CF card;
3.With a Formatted CF, launch the V1.1.3 Canon Firmware Update process and follow the instructions on-screen, let the update complete;
4.Now the bootFlag is removed.

The Documentation says "Re-installing Canon firmware will not remove Magic Lantern", but it works on my 5DIII. ???
And may you can launch the V1.1.3 Canon Firmware Update process with a ML card directly!But I have not try this, after all, flash the Firmware is a dangerous operation, these things already scare me a lot! :o

Mei Lewis

Thanks Berlinchan, but that doesn't seem to work.

I just tried your method of updating and then downgrading the canon firmware and it didn't work. The boot flag is definitely still set on my camera!

balb0wa

Any luck on removing the bootflag from the camera?

wish i hadn't put it on now, camera start up time is terrible

DHFW

Quote from: lostfeliz on July 02, 2013, 02:48:56 AM
I'm having this bootflag issue, too. I had the official Alpha 3 running fine. When I tried to install a nightly build to get the RAW module working, things went awry. When I turn it on, it soon announces the loading of the bootflag along with a smile. The firmware reads as 1.1.3-ml-v2.3.NEXT. When I hit the Trash button, no Magic Lantern menus come up.

I wouldn't mine not being able to uninstall the flag, if Magic Lantern was working, but it's not.

Anyone out there who has this bootflag issue, but has Magic Lantern working?

UPDATE: I kept fiddling (worried about bricking camera with each step), but finally got everything working.
Steps I took:
1) I deleted all the ML files from the SD card. and replaced them with the official 5diii alpha build files.
2) I started up the 5diii with the Alpha 3 on the SD card. The Alpha 3 ML started working again on the 5diii.
3) Then I copied Canon firmware 1.1.3 onto the SD card. I was able to 'update' the 5diii firmware to 1.1.3. (i don't remember every step in that or if there were any issues).
4) then i carefully followed the guide at planet5D -- http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=17898
5) and it worked. the bootflag issue disappeared!

CONCLUSION: I think tried to simply update the Alpha 3 to the latest build. Maybe this is what's been happening to others. Good luck!!

I had the same issue. I had Magic Lantern Alpha 1 (or 2?) installed on the SD card of my 5D3. But I didn't install Magic Lantern (I totally forgot that I had it installed already). I did a format in the camera of the SD card. I just applied the EOScard.exe bootflag and dropped the Magic Lantern latest build from Lourenco on it. It bootted the camera and the smiley appeared. But after that, nothing happened after pushing the trash button. The firmware indicated the correct Magic Lantern one. But going to the firmware update and trying to push the Set button (to enter the firmware menu) didn't function. Somehow the Set button (or middle push button of the joystick) didn't function and I got scared (I wasn't able to format the card either). Removing the SD card would cause the camera to ask for a card with firmware on it...

Thanks to lostfeliz I did kind of the same.

I formatted my SD card on my computer. I downloaded the old Alpha version, and put it on the SD card. I started the camera and Magic Lantern Alpha 1 was installed and functional, phew!
But the bootflag was still there. So now I uninstalled Magic Lantern the "correct way" from the Firmware update menu. I removed the card. Trying to get rid of the bootflag, I put another (non bootable aka normal) SD card in it. I formatted it in camera. I put it on my computer and put the normal 1.1.3 Canon firmware on it. Put it in the camera, and run the firmware update (it recognized it). After that, the camera was fully functional, but without Magic Lantern of course. I didn't see the bootflag smiley anymore. Nice!

However, I kind of felt that starting the camera was slower after that. And, also when the camera was in standby mode, it was annoyingly slower to come back from standby. It takes around 1,5 - 2 seconds. That was quicker before. So I'm still not sure if the bootflag is totally gone...

From here, I wanted to see if I could manage to get the SD card with Magic lantern Alpha 1 working, and yes without problems (and not bootable). After that I wanted to see if ML with a latest build was working, but without the bootable SD card. And there is where I got stuck again. Firmware update works, but hitting the trash button did not show the ML menu.

So no raw video for me yet... And that's a pity! By the way, I have got raw video working on my 5D2... So I'm familiar with it...

ronl

Hi Balb0wa,

How long is the startup time of the camera now with ML?  I'd really like to try out the raw histogram in photo (non-live view) mode but not being able to disable the boot flag and restore the camera to its previous state is holding me back.

Thanks,

Ron

Quote from: balb0wa on August 01, 2013, 10:15:11 PM
Any luck on removing the bootflag from the camera?

wish i hadn't put it on now, camera start up time is terrible

balb0wa

dont try it,  seriously , the camera is dead slow to boot up , with the bootflag on, i wish i had never touched it.

i dont thing the magic guys are bothered about it, and you get shot down on here if you mention it.

before pressing the shutter button, the camera would come on in less than half a second, now its like 2 seconds, if you want a quick shot, you can forget it, the moment has gone.

im thinking of sending mine to canon uk, and never touching a magic lantern build again.

i dont understand, if they knew how to enable the flag, surely the command to disable is opposite?

morsafr

Hello,

I agree that this is a major anoyance and I missed a few shots because of it.

I really hope that final version of ML for 5D Mark III will improve this "lag" or offer a method to properly remove ML if not needed.

In the meantime I will keep on trying the delightful features distilled by ML team.

Thanks again and keep on improving our Canon gears!

balb0wa

Just been talking to canon uk rcc about getting the flag removed, its not good, they say £400-500 for a new camera motherboard.

Stedda

You all ran experimental alpha versions of a software with explicit warnings... alex has said it before in multiple threads that you will have to wait for a way to disable the boot flag because as of now there is no SAFE way to do it.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

deletedAcc.0021

who in there right mind would spend upwards of 3 grand on a camera and then test experimental code on it.

It comes down to greed ... you want a camera that will do what a $15,000 red will do handed to you in the form of magic lantern.

If your gonna bitch about it, you should have been patient and let others test it and get the bugs worked out of it before trying it on your own camera.

I wouldn't worry about it guys ... they'll get it fixed before long.  So, you miss a shot or two waiting for your camera to boot.

balb0wa

to be fair it wasn't that clear, i never read about the boot flag issue, they don't mention it when they announce all these new features on twitter and facebook.

Audionut