Some help with workflow.

Started by roccosaya, May 28, 2013, 03:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roccosaya

Hi guys, I have a quick couple of questions.

I am recording at full 1080P with May 22nd build. I convert the raw file to DNGs, then load up in after effects. What I am witnessing is very "unsmooth" video when there is motion. Now, I know we don't want fast motion in 24P anyways, but it just seems I'm getting way too
much stuttering.

I've read the optimal shutter speed is twice the frame rate. I've been shooting video in Manual with 1/50 second shutter speed. I suppose ideally the shutter speed should be 1/48, but I do not know how to set shutter at that odd number.

I render the DNGs using after effects, and have tried the composition to be 24fp and 23.976fps, doesn't seem to make a difference. I have this ugly feeling I might be doing something wrong in after effects, but not sure. After I set the composition to be one of those two frame rates, I then just choose Composition menu, and then select Add to Render Queue. Finally, I then render i as mentioned to PRO RES 4444.

Can anyone give me a possible insight as to why I can't seem to get very smooth video? Thanks a bunch!

- Rocco

roccosaya

And maybe just one more thing... is it worth it to use interpolation on a 24P video and jack it up to 30FPS? I've read this might help on the internet too, trying to figure that out now in after effects. Again, any help appreciated!

noisyboy

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Interpret+footage+after+effects

;)

In project browser right click the DNG sequence, select Interpret Footage, type the frame rate of your composition into "assume this frame rate. If the frame rate of your footage doesn't match the frame rate of your comp it's doesn't line up and you get the stuttering you see.

Oedipax

Also, you can change your default image sequence import frame rate in Preferences/Import to 23.976 so you don't have to interpret every time.

roccosaya

Hey man, thanks a ton! That was exactly the problem, did what you said, and no stutter! Even though my composition setting would match the video footage still lots of stuttering. I did what you said, and presto! Perhaps I will just make it a point to do this for all DNGs I import for now on?

roccosaya

Oedipax,

thank you! Should I export at 23.976 or 24P exactly with the ML raw video?