650D/T4i Raw Video

Started by PeteTomov, May 28, 2013, 12:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabolandia

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 07, 2014, 09:20:57 PM
Depends. 650D is bottlenecked by a slow SD-card interface. You get about 41 MByte/s transfer rate. No more. Period.

Ciao, Walter

Thanks Walter!

sivencov_v

there are cards fast for our cameras, I recommend to buy the card at 90-95mb/s
here
http://ru.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/sd/extremepro-sdxc-sdhc-uhs-1-95mbs/ ;)
...завтра будет новый день!

jimmyD30

Quote from: sivencov_v on January 08, 2014, 06:07:08 AM
there are cards fast for our cameras, I recommend to buy the card at 90-95mb/s
here
http://ru.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/sd/extremepro-sdxc-sdhc-uhs-1-95mbs/ ;)

Yes, 95 MB/s cards worked well for me too, also although the 650D max SD card write speed is about 41 MB/s, 45 MB/s cards would not record for long at 1280x720@24fps (they wrote about 1 MB/s too slow for continuous recording). With 95 MB/s cards I recorded continuously at 1280x720@24fps until the the card ran out of free space, about 15 mins on a 32GB card.

Be aware that for some reason even with fast SD cards it could take 15-45 secs for the camera to enter continuous recording mode, some say the card needs to 'warm up'.

spider

Even with 45MB/s cards it is possible to record continuous 720p24

jimmyD30

Quote from: spider on January 08, 2014, 11:52:10 PM
Even with 45MB/s cards it is possible to record continuous 720p24

I would think so too and I believe you when you say this and I have heard others say the same, but when I tried my SanDisk Extreme 45 MB/s cards they seemed to write just a hair too slow for long term continuous recording, they were writing low to mid 36.x MB/s and it just wasn't enough, needed mid to high 37.x MB/s for continuous. BUT, maybe it was just the build I was using at the time or the copy of those particular cards. I wish they would have worked for me, because the 95 MB/s cards weren't cheap!

sivencov_v

dear friends! anyone else have flash with speed 95mb/s ? I would like to hear feedback from the owners? I want to buy such a vehicle, but I think worth it to take or not?

P.S. sorry for my English )

davidtlong

Quote from: Roger2004 on January 06, 2014, 08:50:57 PM
First test in 1280x720 - 24fps

Far from perfect (also the workflow was really annoying too) but would now love to have a 5dmk3 and playing with 1080 raw because coming from 1080 h264 to 720p even in raw is a bit of a shock...!

Roger,

Nice video.  Helps us understand what the shock is :)

dave

Roger2004

Thanks David, i really never shoot in 720p so that was a bit surprising !
But still, Raw on those cameras is clearly amazing (ML Team / Alex is incredible), what you can pull out of it is great.

HrRaiko

Quote from: jimmyD30 on January 09, 2014, 04:51:30 AM
I would think so too and I believe you when you say this and I have heard others say the same, but when I tried my SanDisk Extreme 45 MB/s cards they seemed to write just a hair too slow for long term continuous recording, they were writing low to mid 36.x MB/s and it just wasn't enough, needed mid to high 37.x MB/s for continuous. BUT, maybe it was just the build I was using at the time or the copy of those particular cards. I wish they would have worked for me, because the 95 MB/s cards weren't cheap!
Same here, have SanDisk Extreme 45MB/s and can rec only ~26sec @720p. That's it or can do something?
And cant get it atm, if i have 95MB/s card can i rec continuous @720p, but not higher res?
Canon EOS 650D | Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art + CPL Filter | Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED UMC AS | Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II | Kamerar SD-1 Slider/Dolly + Velbon PH-368 | YONGNUO YN-568 TTL | Benro KH25 | Sennheiser ME2 Mic

jimmyD30

Quote from: HrRaiko on January 11, 2014, 06:54:38 AM
Same here, have SanDisk Extreme 45MB/s and can rec only ~26sec @720p. That's it or can do something?
And cant get it atm, if i have 95MB/s card can i rec continuous @720p, but not higher res?

Although the card may be rated 45 MB/s, they don't always achieve that speed, that's been my experience (and others on this forum) anyway, probably because those ratings are usually READ speeds, WRITE speeds are usually a bit lower.

Yes, with a 95 MB/s card you can DEFINITELY achieve continuous 1280x720@24fps all day long, but that's the max I can get (reason being, the camera itself can't write any faster to the SD card). And if you format the card exFat, you can write larger than 4 GB file size. For example, I have recorded continuous video on a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s 32 GB card until it was full, about 15 mins.

sivencov_v

Quote from: jimmyD30 on January 11, 2014, 02:09:38 PM
Although the card may be rated 45 MB/s, they don't always achieve that speed, that's been my experience (and others on this forum) anyway, probably because those ratings are usually READ speeds, WRITE speeds are usually a bit lower.

Yes, with a 95 MB/s card you can DEFINITELY achieve continuous 1280x720@24fps all day long, but that's the max I can get (reason being, the camera itself can't write any faster to the SD card). And if you format the card exFat, you can write larger than 4 GB file size. For example, I have recorded continuous video on a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s 32 GB card until it was full, about 15 mins.
if I understand you, then all it is worth to buy this card?

jimmyD30

Quote from: sivencov_v on January 11, 2014, 05:25:29 PM

If you want to shoot continuous RAW at 1280x720@24fps on 650D then Yes!

The 95MBps cards will guarantee you can achieve this, as long as your camera can meet the 41MBps SD write speed the specs/forum members say it can do (which should be no problem and have not heard of anyone not getting this speed out of the camera). Reason I say this is because every electronic component every manufactured has some variation to it from the 'mean' stated in the specs, but usually very little and the better the manufacturer, the closer to the expected specs it will be.

For the 650D this isn't really a problem, because to get continuous 1280x720@24fps you need to write at a little above 37MBps, which falls well within the 41MBps spec even including some +/- variation.

Slower rated cards MIGHT be able to do it, depends on the 'copy' you get (every memory card made varies slightly in its read/write speed, the ratings given to a card are general and usually denote the read speed which is typically faster than the write speed).

This where the quality of the card comes into play, where as a SanDisk or Lexar would not be a problem, I have heard of KomputerBay cards causing issues.

FALLOUT

Quote from: sivencov_v on January 11, 2014, 05:25:29 PM
Well as successes, bought a card ? Share your thoughts and observations.
RU/ Ну как успехи, купил карту ? Поделись мыслями и наблюдениями.
Canon650D||Canon40mm 2.8 STM||Tamron18-200/3.5-6.3XR L||

sivencov_v

Quote from: FALLOUT on January 14, 2014, 05:58:44 PM
                  Well as successes, bought a card ? Share your thoughts and observations.
RU/ Ну как успехи, купил карту ? Поделись мыслями и наблюдениями.
о, наши люди) в моем городе не продаются такие к сожалению ...заказал по почте, card приедет 20го числа, как проверю ее, поделюсь впечатлениями  ;)

translate -
Oh, our people)) in my city are not sold such unfortunately ...ordered by mail, the card will come 20th of the number, how to put it, share impressions ;)

jimmyD30

Quote from: sivencov_v on January 14, 2014, 06:06:39 PM
о, наши люди) в моем городе не продаются такие к сожалению ...заказал по почте, card приедет 20го числа, как проверю ее, поделюсь впечатлениями  ;)

translate -
Oh, our people)) in my city are not sold such unfortunately ...ordered by mail, the card will come 20th of the number, how to put it, share impressions ;)

And...

Translate -
и ...

sivencov_v

my card came!) BUT! I not long rejoiced. Indeed,  the recording speed of RAW restricts the camera itself. And that would be a lot not to write, publish picture:
моя карточка приехала!) НО! я не долго радовался. Действительно, скорость записи RAW ограничивает сама камера. И что бы много не писать, выкладываю фото:

hence the conclusion:
on our cameras (650d) buy very high-speed card does not make sense (
отсюда вывод:
на наших камерах (650d) покупать очень скоростные карты нет смысла (

jimmyD30

Quote from: sivencov_v on January 22, 2014, 05:37:30 PM
my card came!) BUT! I not long rejoiced. Indeed,  the recording speed of RAW restricts the camera itself. And that would be a lot not to write, publish picture:
моя карточка приехала!) НО! я не долго радовался. Действительно, скорость записи RAW ограничивает сама камера. И что бы много не писать, выкладываю фото:

hence the conclusion:
отсюда вывод:

Ok, where did you buy your card? Maybe counterfeit? Doubt it, but try doing in-camera card speed test and post results. If card write speed is less than 37MBps the card may be fake or just a bad copy (return for replacement if not a big hassle). Also, the particular ML build you're using may affect RAW recording performance. Another thing is to turn all other ML stuff off and use fps override and set to 23.976 (ML may show 23.973), this little bit of difference can actually make it work versus 24 fps.

You really shouldn't give up on getting 720p@24fps out of the camera, the combination of your camera and card should allow you to (just barely) record at this rate. Also, in your regular Canon menu, set picture type to RAW, this will give you the largest image buffer even for using ML RAW and set video to 1920x1080@24fps even though you will be shooting ML at 1280x720p.

I can tell you that you will need to play with the settings to get the greatest performance out of the camera for shooting RAW at 720p 24fps.

gabolandia

Hello People!, i have my New Sandisk Extreme 8GB 45 MB/s, I ordered 4 cards with 8gb each one because using small capacity card is better for keep cooler the camera, i read this in a forum and is true! One card is full? you change to another card and the camera will be cooler again.

Today I tested the RAW Video with this card and I have 1 minute and 20 seconds of continuos 720@24p video! For me is enough because I do cinema and the takes are very small.
I tested at 648@24p and I have continuous video with no problem!

Regards!

PD: I used the option "Card Warm Up with 64mb" and i put the camera in Raw photo mode.

spider

Quote from: sivencov_v on January 22, 2014, 05:37:30 PM

hence the conclusion:
отсюда вывод:
Use the ML GUI overlay while recording. The canon GUI draws a lot power or turn small hacks on.

jimmyD30

Quote from: gabolandia on January 22, 2014, 10:15:02 PM
Hello People!, i have my New Sandisk Extreme 8GB 45 MB/s, I ordered 4 cards with 8gb each one because using small capacity card is better for keep cooler the camera, i read this in a forum and is true! One card is full? you change to another card and the camera will be cooler again.

Today I tested the RAW Video with this card and I have 1 minute and 20 seconds of continuos 720@24p video! For me is enough because I do cinema and the takes are very small.
I tested at 648@24p and I have continuous video with no problem!

Regards!

PD: I used the option "Card Warm Up with 64mb" and i put the camera in Raw photo mode.

Sweet, and if you really need to shoot for longer than a minute or so and want 720p@24fps you can always up-res the 648@24p footage, the RAW video (especially in 3x crop mode) should hold up well :-)

sivencov_v

jimmyD30
thanks for the tip! I conducted a test with 25 frames, it was modest result.
Today I will try your request 24 frames. I think everything will work out! :)

jimmyD30

Quote from: sivencov_v on January 23, 2014, 05:54:02 AM
jimmyD30
thanks for the tip! I conducted a test with 25 frames, it was modest result.
Today I will try your request 24 frames. I think everything will work out! :)

Sounds good! Let us know how it works out, also keep in mind it can take 15-45 secs before you get continuous footage OK message, meaning you will see yellow indicator for that period of time, then finally should see green (depending on build or if using MLV raw you may see different indicators).

sivencov_v

Quote from: jimmyD30 on January 23, 2014, 01:26:35 PM
Sounds good! Let us know how it works out
after my tests (recording 720p) is the following: Record 24 frames = 35 seconds, a record 23,976 frames = 45 seconds, recording 23 frames = more than 2 minutes.

in this case, you can safely record video where the frame will last a short time. :) (Commercials, music video, etc.)

FALLOUT

All of course understandable, but ... how do you solve the problem with the red and green dots.
And what developers think about this ?

Here's the topic : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6658.350 but nothing good here not found.
PIC 768x326 I here about it :
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Всё конечно понятно, но ... как вы решаете проблему с красными и зелёными точками.
И что думают разработчики по этому поводу ?

Вот есть тема : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6658.350 но ничего хорошего тут не нашёл.

PIC 768x326 Я вот про это :
Canon650D||Canon40mm 2.8 STM||Tamron18-200/3.5-6.3XR L||