650D/T4i Raw Video

Started by PeteTomov, May 28, 2013, 12:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akprodr

So how big is a 1280 x 720 frame? Mine are apparently 1272 x 712 (according to Raw Therapee and Sony Vegas).

Is this correct? Can it be changed to be the exact size? Vegas seems to have a hard time scaling this.

using nightly.2014Sep01.650D104

Thanks,

Andy

djaxel49

Hello Everyone,

I have browsed a lot of message in this topic I but did not found any answer to my problem.
It is simple : I can not record 1280X720 25fps in continous with raw_rec.so on my Canon 650D.

I have a scandisk SD card Extreme Pro 32 Go at 95 MB/s and exFAT formatted

My ML firmware is Nightly.2014.March22.650D104 (ok, it is a litte old, but did not find any reason that is too old for continous recording).

The Modified Page shows me :

Global Draw    OFF
FPS Override   OFF
RAW Video       ON, 1280x720

I can record 26-27 second maximum. After that my Canon close the miror (no crash, but liveview mode is stopped). I have to turn OFF and turn ON the power button. The video file is on the SD card, the dng frames are correctly extracted. The problem contanstly occurs everytime I record more than 27 seconds.

Thanks by advance for your help,

djaxel49

@akprodr

I saw this problem on Raw Therapee version 1.4 (windows plateform). But RT crashs to much on my machine, so I use Camera Raw and PhotoShop to develop my images, and the jpg size is correct = 1280 x 720. I think the problem come from RT. I do not know why ? May be because there is no metadata in the outputfile file if you use raw_rec.so ?

spider

Set auto power off to off or longer eg. 10Min

djaxel49

Thanks a lot Spider, it works ! I got continious raw recording ...

andrewespuni

Hello,
This is my first real world try with raw video in the 650D. I used raw2dng_cs2x2 to get rid of the pink dots, and it did an excellent job despite the resolution. I recorded at 1344x672 which gave me continous recording and a few shots in 1600x800 but this only gave me 10 seconds or so.
I had seen a lot of tests of raw quality, but needed some skin tones, real world shooting conditions, not only leaves and that stuff! You can see it here:

The process is a bit tedious, being the worse converting to dngs because of the time needed, but the result in image quality and the control over the image that you get from raw, is simply amazing. It really hurts to see the h264 now!!

ShootMeAlready

What rig did you use for underwater shots? Nice stuff.  Some of the skin tones were a bit pinky, have you tried the the Marvel picture styles 3.3, 3.4 or the flaat 11?  Its just for those H264 shots, you might find it helps.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

andrewespuni

ShootMeAlready,

I used an old Ewa Marine soft case I had for my Canon XH-A1. All I could do with it is press record out of the water and then dive in! You can't operate the camera easily inside that case. It was my first attempt at underwater video and I definitely need a lot of more practice!

I edited the video in a day and a half, including all the proccess for the raw archives, so I had not time to really tweak the files a lot in camera raw. I wanted to be in time for Neumannfilms "Summer In" contest. That's why I coudn't pay all the attention to details as I would have wanted.

I recently read that for big magazines and advertising agencies, skin tones MUST contain more yellow than magenta or they wouldn't publish a picture (talking about fashion, beauty shots, ads, etc). Which, translated to our RGB world should read as more green than blue for a skin tone to be "pleasant". I will try this concept from now on!

In raw video, picture profiles don't apply as you know, but for the h264 I have used cinestyle a lot. It's a great tool but I find myself using the neutral profile with contrast all the way donw most of the time now. Sometimes cinestyle gives me very noisy footage, but I haven't determined in which situations that happens. I don't have time to do all the tests I would like to!

Thanks for your comment!

ShootMeAlready

Ok to get more green than blue.

Marvel cinestye ver 3.4 adds slight green to skin good for northern sun, sounds like what you want.  The Marvel ver 3.3 pic style adds slight orange which is good for southern sun.  Simlaar's flaat_11, actually supports 11EV peaks, and adds slight yellow to skin, good for indoor lighting.  The trick is to get a proper white balance else the pic style never looks right.  I also found you need to center exposure EV=0, as I like to use Tv priority when I dont need the shallow DOF in the clip.  If exposure is not right it impacts your H264 since there is less recovery room in post, and the right exposure helps get the right colour (ie. a red looks like a richer darker red, where as overexposed looks like there's yellow hue and the red seems off).  H264 is much more difficult to work with colour hue IMHO. BTW the Marvel and Simlaar stuff is free, google is your friend.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

ONEfromTWO

Hello! Boys, try to take off Raw on the 650d at Iso400 noise is strongly noticeable. At Iso800 so much. Possibly do I do that not so??

ShkipeRR

Hello. I would also boast of its RAW video, shot on 650D, the picture very much, but a little spoiled video stabilization, following time plan without stabilization program to make a video.
(P.S. Sorry for my English - translation Google translator =))

andrewespuni

ONEfromTWO never tried those ISOs with raw, so I cannot help you. What about lower ISOs? are they looking fine in raw?

andrewespuni

Hello, this is my last video, recorded with a t4i.

My workflow was as follow: shoot everything with a lot of care of not clipping any highlight in the focus points area (the damned pink dots), use batchelor3 with raw2dng_cs2x2 to extract the DNGs, develop them in After Effects with Adobe Camera Raw and exported a clip with all the videos in Black Magic's 4:4:4 10bit codec. Then I edited it in Premiere Pro, added a LUT and some grain... whoa! Takes a lot of waiting for all those operations, but I love the end result!

areito5

I cant get my T4i to record raw. I installed MAGIC LANTERN .
do i have to install any other firm ware or software.
Frank
Bronx NY

Walter Schulz

Module tab -> Enable MLV_REC.mo *or* RAW_REC.mo -> Restart cam -> Movie tab -> Enable and configure RAW/MLV recording.

dreamARTz

andrewespuni

What lenses have you used for Land Cruiser vid? It looks amazing!
Canon EOS 650D 18-55mm kit + canon usm 55-200mm + canon 50mm 1.4

Juryx

Hello, I am new to the whole raw video think. I just update newest nightly built on my T4i and I am trying raw for the first time. The quality what I am getting from my T4i is not quite close compare to what I have seen here or youtube, so I know that T4i can do better.
Workflow:
resolution 1472x828
I used raw2dng_cs2x2.exe for converting raw to DNG and for removal of pink dots. Than I used after effect to generate video sequence in avi loos less format.
The first video is just terrible its avi, straight from AE without any corrections in camera raw. There is a lot of noise and those lines on the edges, its just awful.
Here is just screen shot from wm player, because after upload to youtube it wasn't that visible

The second one is little bit better. I used the same process as on the first one but from AE I took it premiere and export as H.264 HD for youtube. Its better but still not as good as would expect.
So here is my question, what am I doing wrong ? Is there some set up before shooting what I should do or something in the workflow ?

And second question, I am using SD card SanDisk Extreme 80 MB/s, will it help if I format it on exFAT ? And what is the highest resolution in which I can get continuous shoot at least 20 second on T4i and which SD card I need for it ?

Thanks for any help!

andrewespuni

dreamARTz, sorry for the late reply. I used my Tokina 11-16 2.8, cheap but great Canon 50mm 1.8 and Samyang 85mm 1.4 (the old one, not the cine one). Thanks for your kind words!

FALLOUT

Hi guys. What is the situation with "ML" for 650D (T4i) ?
                                                               Completed the development?
                                                               How to work with RAW?   

Canon650D||Canon40mm 2.8 STM||Tamron18-200/3.5-6.3XR L||

Walter Schulz

1) Fine
2) As long there is a maintainer: Nope! And lucky we are!
3) Use ExFAT file system. Post-process is quite the same for all cams supporting RAW/MLV.

mathewhgreen

Hi

I am shooting 768 x 462 on my 650D and need to use the PINK DOT REMOVAL tool.
I have run it straight out the box and the RAW file when I look at it in MLRawViewer is still showing the dots.
Does anyone know what I have to do to get it to work ok?
Cheers
Mat

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

Tobyandtamar

I shot a whole Music video on the 650D.

Looks pretty amazing I think.

https://youtu.be/gMYpZOzeaWQ

TOineBZX

Hi everyone !
I'm new here and just new ML user. I got a 650D/T4i and 18-135mm Canon STM, for the moment i was photographer only. This is my portfolio https://www.flickr.com/photos/toinebzx/

I have a question :
Can i use a 128Go SD card as this one ?
http://www.amazon.fr/Komputerbay-Digital-Extended-Capacity-vitesse/dp/B00CX8SJDM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453241293&sr=8-1&keywords=128Go+sd
or
256Go as this one ?
http://www.amazon.fr/Komputerbay-Digital-Extended-Capacity-vitesse/dp/B00CX8SJDM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453241293&sr=8-1&keywords=128Go+sd

Which one could you advise for 1920x720 :
45kb/s is enough ?
90kb/s is better ?
150kb/s ?
How many minutes can i record on 32, 64 or 128 in 1920x720 ?

Please, excuse my poor english and thanks for your answers.

remi

Hi everyone,

I had "ML" on my T4i/650d I use the modules raw_rec and mlv_play. When I start to record my camera said "early stop (14) didn't make it to estimated record time." after many research I think the problem became from my flash memory card. I use a SanDisck ultra 80mb/s Sdhx 1 "10". some people said "use a SanDisck Extrem pro 90-95 mb/s" you can see this flash memory card here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NDL54C/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B007NDL54C&linkCode=as2&tag=tbonestech-20&linkId=XSZ7NG7EQP5GXQAX

if I used this Flash memory card did you the problem gone ?

sorry for my english.