Previous topic - Next topic

spider

Is 1080p selected in the canon menu?

Tongotongo

hi, Yes 1080 24 . Saludos.
Canon 650d Tamron 17-50 mm 2.8 canon 50 mm fijo 1.8 magic lantern

spottydog10

Hi all, nice to be hear.
I'm not being very successful with raw video on the 650d.
The card is a Sandisk extreme pro 95mb/s.
I keep getting crashes (see pic) or when it does work the playback just stops after a couple of secs and the camera turns off.
Also, how do you edit the raw movie files? Vegas refused it.
Sorry if these have been discussed before as I'm new to the whole thing.

Cheers,
Mike

spottydog10

Hi Walter,
Thanks for that, there's a lot of reading there.
Is there step by step work flow instructions anywhere?

Thanks,
Mike

spottydog10

Anybody advise me on the crash?

Thanks
Mike

Jacu

Hi all!

First of all, big thank you to the whole team for doing such a great job on developing magic lantern for canon 650D. It is good to know, that you don't have to have canon 5D to be part of the community ;)

I do have a quick question: is it possible to remove pink dots from the 50fps footage from 650D? I managed to record a 30-sec clip on 50fps (720) but because the footage is squashed the pink dot remover seems to fail to remove the dots. Or is it possible to resize the dng's to the right resolution and then process it with pink dot remover?

It would be a bomb to have the possibility of shooting short clips with 50fps.

Big thanks in advance!

J.

spottydog10

edge11

Quote from: Jacu on May 19, 2014, 11:07:22 AM
Hi all!

First of all, big thank you to the whole team for doing such a great job on developing magic lantern for canon 650D. It is good to know, that you don't have to have canon 5D to be part of the community ;)

I do have a quick question: is it possible to remove pink dots from the 50fps footage from 650D? I managed to record a 30-sec clip on 50fps (720) but because the footage is squashed the pink dot remover seems to fail to remove the dots. Or is it possible to resize the dng's to the right resolution and then process it with pink dot remover?

It would be a bomb to have the possibility of shooting short clips with 50fps.

Big thanks in advance!

J.
Nope, but chromasoothing seems to solve the pink dot problem regardless of resolution.

Effektgubben

Hey guys!
I'm trying to record some raw video on my 45MB/s SDHC card and it works but not as well as it's supposed to. When using a 95MB/s card (SDHC as well) it works a lot better and I even get better results than most people even though the 650D has a speed limit around 40-50MB/s, right? That seems to be because most 45MB/s cards are actually 10-45MB/s cards. Still some people get great results with 45MB/s cards, almost as good as 95MB/s. Have I simply choosen a bad 45MB/s card that rarely gets up to its max speed or is there anything I can do about it?

I've read here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5780.25 that A1ex has a method for exFAT formatting cards which I can't find. If I got this right exFAT with 128 KB is supposed to increase write speed. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong but it rather decreases write speed for me.

I've also found that .raw is a lot better than .mlv: I get more than twice as long recording time!!! Is there anything I can do to improve mlv recording or will .raw be better until mlv is fully developed?

jimmyD30

SD card rating is for read speeds (close approximation anyway), write speeds are much slower. I'm using 95MBps cards to get the most out of the 650D, 45 MBps rated cards definitely will NOT write fast enought to get continuous 720p@24fps raw out of the camera even though the write speed limit for the camera is like 37-41MBps.

I've read where a slightly slower card, 65/75/85MBps (I forget which) did work, but barely and it depended upon the copy you got, some worked, some didn't. I know the 95MBps cards are expensive, but they're really the only ones that will be guarenteed to work to get continuous 720p@24fps out of the camera.

And yes, I have the same experience with RAW vs MLV, the audio aspect of MLV will not allow continuous 720p@24fps and probably never will.

spider

Quote from: jimmyD30 on June 08, 2014, 12:50:41 PM
45 MBps rated cards definitely will NOT write fast enought to get continuous 720p@24fps raw out of the camera even though the write speed limit for the camera is like 37-41MBps.
I don't know what you are doing but I have 3 Sandisk 45MB/s rated Cards and with all of them it is flawlessly possible to record 720p24 until the card is full.

jimmyD30

That's impossible unless you have REALLY small cards, because they only write at no more than 25 MBps (this is my testing AND SanDisk's own spec reports) and continuous 1280x720@24fps requires 37.1 MBps. So I'm not sure if you're referencing the correct info or are your cards only like 128MB in size?

If they are real small, then yes, you can write continuously until the card is full of course for like 30 secs because the camera buffer will allow for it :D

Rewind

Quote from: jimmyD30 on June 08, 2014, 09:56:36 PM
That's impossible...

Confirm these cards are just fine for 720p continuous. Their write speeds benchmarks in ML test about 40 MB/s (controller limit)
Manufacturer's write speed claim is 45 MB/s, which is true (confirmed on usb 3.0 card reader)

jimmyD30

Quote from: Rewind on June 08, 2014, 10:43:11 PM
Confirm these cards are just fine for 720p continuous. Their write speeds benchmarks in ML test about 40 MB/s (controller limit)
Manufacturer's write speed claim is 45 MB/s, which is true (confirmed on usb 3.0 card reader)

Read more carefully, SanDisk says "Read/Write speeds up to 45MB/s" , yes, the read part does go up to 45MBps, not the write speed, sorry, but the devil is in the details. I own these exact cards and tested them in camera and with USB 3.0 and no such luck, write speeds 30-35 MBps all day long. I do realized different copies vary, but not by that much.

Quote from SanDisk site: http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/sd/extreme-uhs-1-45mbs/

"45 MB/s Read/Write Speed for Faster Performance and Downloads

With read speeds as fast as 45MB/s, this card unleashes the full shooting potential of your advanced camera or DSLR."

Note how at first they combine the statement about 'Read/Write speeds of up to 45Mbps', then they qualify that statement by saying 'With read speeds of up to 45 MBps...', the they NEVER mention write speeds again, only as a combined statement with Read Speeds, subtle, but meaningful legal difference (to avoid lawsuits for false advertising).

This is common advertising gimmick to trick the consumer into 'believing' what they wish were true, but really in fact isn't.

UPDATE: I just re-tested my 45MBps SanDisk 16GB cards, in camera and USB 3.0 card reader, my results:
USB 3.0 card reader: 43.9 MBps Read / 37.5 MBps Write
In Camera: Read 41.7-43.5 MBps / Write 35.7-37.5 MBps

So, my apologies, I don't remember getting this high of write speeds, BUT I do know they did NOT work for continuous 720p@24fps RAW in my camera with FRAME SKIPPING=OFF.

spider

Quote from: Rewind on June 08, 2014, 10:43:11 PM
The new yellow cards are working perfectly too.

http://www.amazon.de/SecureDigital-Capacity-Speicherkarte-Frustfreie-Verpackung/dp/B00422J0CG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1402427368&sr=8-3&keywords=sandisk+16gb

Rewind

So now we have SRM memory interface working with raw_rec module.
It gives us additional 2x31 MB of buffer memory for recording.
Thanks to mk11174 for finding STUBS and for Dmilligan for making changes to modules.

Some quick results at 23.976 fps:

Resolution                     Old rec. time no SRM (GD off)       New rec. time with SRM (GD on)
1568 x 656 (2.39:1)      32 s                                              53 s
1600 x 672 (2.38:1)      18 s                                              32 s
1728 x 720 (2.40:1)      7 s                                                12 s

So we have x1.7 recording time increase even with Global Draw on

mdfaisal

So Guys, which one is better ? A1ex Raw2DNG with chroma smoothing or PDR ?
I have tried it both, but i don't see any difference. But With Raw2DNG cs2x2 it makes the workflow more simple

is there any case that Raw2DNG with chroma smoothing will create artifact in a picture?

spider

Quote from: Rewind on July 09, 2014, 05:02:55 PM
So now we have SRM memory interface working with raw_rec module.
Which build are you using because there are some failed nightly builds.

Rewind

Quote from: spider on July 21, 2014, 06:03:16 PM
Which build are you using because there are some failed nightly builds.

That was unified from July, 8. I've edited raw_rec according to Dmilligan first changes and compiled. That changes were not in nightlies.

spider

Mk submitted the stubs for 650d

WLShafor

Can't wait to install ML on my t4i

ShootMeAlready

I found with 600d that using the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards (write 90 mb/s), that I was able to get a 23.3 mb/s continuous write, which was about 2.3 mb/s faster than was expected.

Has anyone tried using Sandisk Extreme Pro (write 90 mb/s) with anamorphic (2.39)  1728 x 723 @ 24 fps???  Its about 80% of a 1280p anamorphic frame., so up res is not that big.  The equation  requires about 42 mb/s, and perhaps with the very fast cards the SD controller can support a continuous write???

PS: My Lexar 32GB 400x SDHC were 20.0 mb/s write to the decimal.  I could get 1152x433 which requires 19.9 mb/s continuous write, but it skipped frames around 40-45s at 960x540 which requires 20.7 mb/s.

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

AgentJJ

We just shot the entire series of the First Five Years @ 1280x720 24fps and many takes were well over several minutes.  We used the Sandisk Extreme Pros.

If you want to see it, I posted it in the "Share your Videos" section of this forum: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12998.0

ShootMeAlready

Quote from: AgentJJ on August 14, 2014, 09:13:00 PM
We just shot the entire series of the First Five Years @ 1280x720 24fps and many takes were well over several minutes.  We used the Sandisk Extreme Pros.

I saw episode 1, what a cool thing.  You made the 650D shine!  I like the set photos too. 
China ball lights, LED lights, nice to see the full indy lighting treatment. 
My constructive comments: 
I liked the raw/colours, and the 720p frame size shined (it seemed very TV like full size on my 27" screen).  Nice pace but I would like to see some non-dialogue driven shots.  Perhaps physical comedy and clowning?
If you head out doors to a new location, I would like to see a few more establishing shots worked in. The shots seemed very dialogue driven (heads).
The vocal audio was very loud compared to the ambient sounds,  I think out doors it should be a little more mixed in level else it starts to sound studio dubbed (personal taste perhaps?).
Great stuff!!!
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"