650D/T4i Raw Video

Started by PeteTomov, May 28, 2013, 12:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andre2000

Strange thing is the files are on my memory card once I connect to my PC but will not open.

In addition Adobe after affects will not open the file which is a *.RAW

Andrew

Andre2000

I removed ML via the update firmware via canon interface.

Then followed Installation procedure from scratch, Updated to 4th April nightly build.

Recorded another file though this time I enabled mlv_playback as well as mlv-rec. I recorded a 30 second file. When I press canon preview It states preparing then display reads 'files ends prematurely during block header'

I'll try anything that won't brick my camera and should result in a resolution.

Is the latest nightly build proven to be working at least to record and playback?

Thanks again

rainless

Quote from: Andre2000 on April 03, 2014, 03:07:22 PM
Strange thing is the files are on my memory card once I connect to my PC but will not open.

In addition Adobe after affects will not open the file which is a *.RAW

Andrew

I thought you said there WAS no file... :p

Anyway of course it doesn't open a RAW file. That's why there's all those "RAW to DNG" programs out there.  You should probably watch a couple of tutorial videos and check out a few of the tutorials here in the "RAW post processing" section.

As for your card... Is the file space shrinking? Because... if so... I would imagine it's simply saving to a different folder than the one you're looking in. (On my card there was nothing in the DCIM/100 folder because it created a DCIM/101 and then a DCIM/102 folder).

And look in your computer... not on your camera.

Quote from: rainless on April 03, 2014, 03:44:31 PM
I thought you said there WAS no file... :p

Anyway of course it doesn't open a RAW file. That's why there's all those "RAW to DNG" programs out there.  You should probably watch a couple of tutorial videos and check out a few of the tutorials here in the "RAW post processing" section.

As for your card... Is the file space shrinking? Because... if so... I would imagine it's simply saving to a different folder than the one you're looking in. (On my card there was nothing in the DCIM/100 folder because it created a DCIM/101 and then a DCIM/102 folder).

And look in your computer... not on your camera.

It doesn't work like a normal Canon video. You shouldn't expect it to... it's in a completely different format. So you don't just record and playback like that. (although with mlv_play module loaded you get sort of a preview in file manager.
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

Andre2000

Rainless,

Did I say I was a noobie.

Thanks for the good advice, Seems the files may well have been good. I'll read the ML user manual, slow down a little and take my time to work through any Issues.

Thanks again.

Andrew

Andre2000

Whilst the video records fine at 960x540, It will not record without the frame stopping error at 1280x720. Which I presume translates to it cannot write to the card fast enough. Unless there is another reason including set up on the canon firmware or the ML.

My card supposed to accept a write speed of around 55.4MB/s. Just wondering where the bottleneck might be.

This is the card I purchased:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-Ultimate-Class-UHS-I-Memory/dp/B0085T0VXY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Andrew

rainless

Quote from: Andre2000 on April 03, 2014, 04:55:41 PM
Whilst the video records fine at 960x540, It will not record without the frame stopping error at 1280x720. Which I presume translates to it cannot write to the card fast enough. Unless there is another reason including set up on the canon firmware or the ML.

My card supposed to accept a write speed of around 55.4MB/s. Just wondering where the bottleneck might be.

This is the card I purchased:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-Ultimate-Class-UHS-I-Memory/dp/B0085T0VXY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Andrew

Maximum write speed for your camera is 40mbs. There's a chart linked-to frequently in this raw video section (and it's probably a sticky as well) that details all the write speeds of the various cameras. For example my 600D is limited to a 21mbs write speed. So it doesn't matter how fast your card is if your camera isn't fast enough to write to it.
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

Andre2000

Rainless,

Thanks again for your insight. I guess I got lots of information to digest, yours was very relevant.

Andrew

rainless

Quote from: Andre2000 on April 03, 2014, 05:31:16 PM
Rainless,

Thanks again for your insight. I guess I got lots of information to digest, yours was very relevant.

Andrew

Meh... I always felt like "people helping people" was the whole point to a tech forum. :)

jimmyD30

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 29, 2014, 10:58:58 AM
Writing a file with 128 Kbyte on a medium with 512 byte block size: 256 write operations have to be handled.
Writing a file with 128 Kbyte on a medium with 128 Kbyte block size: 1 (one) write operation.

Less overhead.

If the card is used to store small data files there will be unused disk space allocated by each file.
Writing a XML with 1 Kbyte -> 128 Kbyte allocated.
127 Kbyte unusable for other files.

Not an issue when used within a cam IMO.

Ciao
Walter

Exactly... Why I recommend 128KB moreso with using RAW is that each RAW 720p frame is almost 1 MB in size, so you only write 8 blocks of data per frame. If you were to format 4096 Byte block size (the default and most commonly used) then you would need to write roughly 250 blocks of data per frame with each block consisting of its own header and other components along with the data. Using a larger block size allows you to eke out every last bit of performance in order to help get 720p RAW continuous and when formatted exFAT which allows over 4 GB file size you can literally fill the card with one continuous shot however large the card. Now managing a huge file in post, well that's something you need to consider depending upon the post processing resources available to you :-)

SongsByHamilton

This is admittedly a starters question. I'm really just getting into raw video. I'm using mlv on my T4i and what I'm noticing/reading is that when I record the video, it's actually cropping the frame on the live view and apparently the video to a smaller square in the middle. Is there anyway to turn this feature off so that the 1280x720 you're recording isn't just a center crop of a 1080 video so that I'm able to record the full screen? Thanks!

_DK_

@SongsByHamilton: No. Raw Just reads out a certain area off the whole sensor and writes the image on the card without anything done to it.This means that there is a added crop factor to raw videos.
In normal video it uses what is called line skipping to process the image of the whole sensor into a single video. This is partly what causes moiré patterns.
This is not possible with raw due to camera limitations of processing power.
Another limitation is, that the controler of a T4i can only write just fast enough so that we are able to record 720p. Unfortunately the camera is not able to provide more write speed. This can not be fixed in the future since this is a hardware problem.
Still the 720p video will be way sharper and will have a much higher dynamic range than normal video.
EOS 650D, 17-50 2.8, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 70-300mm
Sorry if my English is a little bad as I am not a native speaker

SongsByHamilton

@DK, Thanks for getting back to me! I appreciate the information. The continuous recording isn't a problem I've got the 95 MB/s cards so they write fast enough to get the continuous 720. What I'm wondering though is how everyone compensates for the cropping of the video. It takes the recording from the middle and cuts off everything else that it should be recording and puts a black area around it. Is the only option to move the camera back further to compose the scene the same way you normally would? Whats happening is if I position the camera on the tripod and sit down to record after composing the shot, what I end up with is a zoomed in version of my face which isn't what I should be getting. So it looks more so that it's just recording a smaller area and blowing it up in camera. Thanks again for any info!

_DK_

I compose the shot right after I switched on raw. I just set up everything with the black bars on the display, so nothing is cut of or zoomed in.
Basically the raw video is like zooming in a bit. So you don't necessarily need to go back you can use a wider lens, if it still fits your visual style.
If the screen is to small with black bars on it, I suggest using a viewfinder, or a small external monitor to get a better view.
EOS 650D, 17-50 2.8, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 70-300mm
Sorry if my English is a little bad as I am not a native speaker

SongsByHamilton

ah I see. Alright thanks for the info DK. Do you happen to know if this would still be an issue on a full frame like the 5D3 or 6D? I've been considering either of those and if that would solve this issue it might be what makes me pull the trigger.

andy kh

i am so disappointed using magic lantern after buying 650D.now i cant control audio and unlike other camera it gets pink dots while shooting raw which takes double time in workflow.
5D Mark III - 70D

andy kh

Quote from: SongsByHamilton on April 08, 2014, 03:46:59 PM
ah I see. Alright thanks for the info DK. Do you happen to know if this would still be an issue on a full frame like the 5D3 or 6D? I've been considering either of those and if that would solve this issue it might be what makes me pull the trigger.

5d mark iii is the best for shooting raw. there is no issue which u mention above
5D Mark III - 70D

jimmyD30

Quote from: andy kh on April 08, 2014, 04:01:20 PM
i am so disappointed using magic lantern after buying 650D.now i cant control audio and unlike other camera it gets pink dots while shooting raw which takes double time in workflow.

Yeah, the pink dots are due to the 650D's hybrid focusing system (phase and contrast detection is utilized), which offers faster and more precise auto-focusing, but affects the ML RAW output as such.

rainless

That's the trade-off for that 40mbs SD card controller. :)

Fortunately there's all kinds of software available for removing the pink dots from the 650D.

It's always better to save up a little bit more and get a 7D or a 5Dmkii though. You're talking about 200-300 bucks but a UNIVERSE of difference.

jimmyD30

Quote from: rainless on April 09, 2014, 11:45:14 AM
That's the trade-off for that 40mbs SD card controller. :)

Fortunately there's all kinds of software available for removing the pink dots from the 650D.

It's always better to save up a little bit more and get a 7D or a 5Dmkii though. You're talking about 200-300 bucks but a UNIVERSE of difference.

And the last software versions I used for removing the pink dots worked pretty good, except one worked better for normal mode and another worked better for digital 3x crop mode. Maybe there are newer versions, but it looked like the development on those apps was petering out the last I looked a while back.

You can get 5DM2 for a decent price used on ebay or wherever, but personally I'm looking to get the 5DM3 except they're still a little pricey. I'm thinking they'll come down in price (at least a little I hope) once the 5DM4 comes out, but if you consider Canon's release cycle for the 5D it probably won't be until next year at the soonest.

rainless

Quote from: jimmyD30 on April 09, 2014, 12:09:19 PM
And the last software versions I used for removing the pink dots worked pretty good, except one worked better for normal mode and another worked better for digital 3x crop mode. Maybe there are newer versions, but it looked like the development on those apps was petering out the last I looked a while back.

You can get 5DM2 for a descent price used on ebay or wherever, but personally I'm looking to get the 5DM3 except they're still a little pricey. I'm thinking they'll come down in price (at least a little I hope) once the 5DM4 comes out, but if you consider Canon's release cycle for the 5D it probably won't be until next year at the soonest.

5D3 price drop? Forget it.

You'll be waiting forever for that 5D4 to drop the 5D3 price. I haven't even heard a 5D4 rumored. They could easily stretch out the mk iii another 2-3 years.

No... if you need raw video at higher rez now and you can't afford a 5D3, then your best bet is the 5D2 or the 7D. If you can afford to wait until the 5D4, the whole point in having a 5D3 would be irrelevant because there'll probably be a whole SLEW of cameras that can record raw video by then.

Hell... You can already get a Black Magic Pocket for about the same price as a 5D2 or 7D (and not much more than what you spent on that 650D) So it's not like you're out of options. :)

jimmyD30

andy kh

shot with canon 650D in mlv raw
5D Mark III - 70D

rainless

Quote from: jimmyD30 on April 13, 2014, 05:53:05 PM
>:( :( :o :-[ :-\ :'(

So many emotions...

Then of course there's the Panasonic GH4 coming out later this month http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1028453-REG/panasonic_dmc_gh4kbody_lumix_dmc_gh4_mirrorless_micro.html

...which shoots 4K at 1500 bucks as if it were no big deal at all.

No... by the time the 5D mk iv comes out I absolutely won't be thinking about a 5D mk iii...

jimmyD30

Yeah, my friend is getting the GH4, but 4k what? H.264? I'll pass...

rainless

I'd take 4k H.264... if they had a patch that allowed us to do it continuously on the 5D mk III.

The point is this is just a $1500 panasonic. This raises the bar for all the other manufacturers. It's going to be tougher and tougher for Canon and Nikon now to release a camera that DOESN'T have 4k. Because sometime during the lifespan of the next gen of Canon and Nikon... 4k is going to be the standard.

(And the sooner they have 4K in a Canon DSLR the sooner we can have a 5k ML raw)