650D/T4i Raw Video

Started by PeteTomov, May 28, 2013, 12:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyD30

Quote from: anakin316 on February 17, 2014, 08:08:15 AM
my raw video despite whatever white balance setting i use, turns out very warm. I only converted to .dng files for now, but i wanted to know if there is a way to fix that since I guess it could be fixed in adobe after effects but is this normal?

Hello, when using any ML RAW format (probably all raw formats) no white balance is applied nor picture style. I'm not a raw expert, but basically raw is a dump of the sensor information without any processing (or very little anyway) by the camera, so everything you want to do to the video style needs to be done in post. But, many videographers will take a reference pic/image of something pure white in the environment they are shooting video to help set up the correct white balance in post considering every light source emits a different color temperature (even sunny days compared to cloudy days), especially fluorescent lights.

You can certainly browse this forum or google for more info regarding raw video color correction and the color temperature of light.

anakin316

so when you shot your train video did your original video look very warm?

jimmyD30

I have to say not really, I did adjust the white balance a little bit in post due to the overcast day, but I'm guessing because the scene didn't really have any warm colors to begin with it didn't have a warm tone to it. I don't know what your post processing work flow consist of, but shooting raw will almost always require color correction unless you are gong for some kind of artistic look to your video.

If you look at my Snow Fall video comparing raw to h.264 you can notice that the raw has a greenish tone to it, which could have been accounted for in post, but that wasn't the point of the video, so I just applied a very light amount of color correction to both videos for additional comparison reasons.

But you can readily see the difference in color tones between raw with no in-camera color processing and the h.264 which although I shot it flat (cinema picture style), still had some in-camera color processing done to it like white balance and picture style being applied to it.

anakin316

well what I have noticed and read is that when using raw2dng, the dng files turn out to be around 6200K and with a +66 tint. Apparently the wb settings and the picture style settings are not taken into account when shooting raw. So I just wanted to know if it was the same for everyone since on this thread, no one talked about it.

nanomad

Yes. Raw is indeed raw. You can apply any picture style you want in post with a far better output
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

anakin316

Thanks jimmy and nanomad for clearing my doubts. Happy Shooting!!!

andy kh

hi 650D guys. i have been shooting mlv raw with my canon 550D.it can records 1152 X 432 continous. i m thinking of upgrading to 650D since it can write 40mb/s. can anyone advice me if i should buy this camera or not
5D Mark III - 70D

Walter Schulz

Used 50D would be a better choice if you can do without the 650D's display option.

andy kh

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 27, 2014, 03:54:28 PM
Used 50D would be a better choice if you can do without the 650D's display option.
[/quote

i need for mlv raw and not raw.50d is good for raw but there is no point of shooting mlv raw with 50d since it cant record audio.
anyway thanks
5D Mark III - 70D

andy kh

is there any chance of getting rid of red/green dots sooner or later? sold my 550D.very disappointed. i think magic lantern is best for 550D. more options like audio control n it gets clean raw.
5D Mark III - 70D

Bidder88

Hello every Ml users,

I just have install ML in my 650D and im doing the first steps to now better how to use in the best way this magnificent program!

Im trying film in RAW but it is strange our i dont understand how it work.

I have follow a few steps to activate Raw Video,

Modules ->load modules now..  :

and activate
ETTR.MO - Off
file_MAN.MO - OFF
PIC_VIEW.MO - Off

RAw_REC - Ok

now in menu MOVIE I SET
Resolution - 1280x720
ASpect Ration - 16:9
Preview - Auto
Digital Dolly - off
frame skipping - off
card warm-up - off
small hacks - off
and playback off too

In Movie Mode On when I press LiveView button to record, show the frames count / expected, Time, file name, 36 MB/s, 20ms idle

Can anyone tell me some tips to make this video raw definition work better?

PS: I just can film with this settings 02:10 and then show me 1 skipped frame, why show me this info?

best regards 

edge11

Is any one getting 1280x720 continuous mlv? I'm only getting exactly 1:50 seconds of footage with a san disk extreme 80mb/s uhs-1 class 10 32gb card. Is there any way to get 720p continuous mlv? Would a 90mb/s card help or am i already over killing it because of the controller speed limit?
Thanks guys.

jimmyD30

Quote from: edge11 on March 17, 2014, 10:16:55 AM
Is any one getting 1280x720 continuous mlv? I'm only getting exactly 1:50 seconds of footage with a san disk extreme 80mb/s uhs-1 class 10 32gb card. Is there any way to get 720p continuous mlv? Would a 90mb/s card help or am i already over killing it because of the controller speed limit?
Thanks guys.

So far as I have seen, no one is getting continuous raw using MLV for more than 2 mins or so at 720p. The non-audio version of raw (the original ML RAW) can deliver continuous raw ad infinitum using fast SD cards (95 MBps) formatted exFAT. The max in-camera SD write speed has been determined to be about 41 MBps for this camera, so that's the limit and usually requires a fast SD card (rated 95 MBps) to meet such write speeds as the card's rating usually denotes the read speed with about 45-60 MBps actual write speeds.

edge11

Ah i see.
So i returned my san disk extreme 80mb/s uhs-1 class 10 32gb card and got a san disk extreme pro 95mb/s uhs-1 class 10 32gb card (it was $10 more and might have).
Whats the procedure for exFAT? Do i just format my card as exFAT and then the proceed as usual, or is there an extra step?
thanks guys.

Also, would any one be kind enough to share their workflow?

jimmyD30

Quote from: edge11 on March 24, 2014, 03:56:58 AM
Do i just format my card as exFAT and then the proceed as usual, or is there an extra step?
thanks guys.

Also, would any one be kind enough to share their workflow?

Yeah, I just use a windows machine and format the card exFAT with 128 KB block size (only use this large block size with cards you will use raw video or else you will waste a lot if space).

See my ML RAW work flow videos here: https://vimeo.com/jamesdesira/

_DK_

@jimmyD30:
Can you explain what the 128 KB block size does, and why you should only use it for raw video? Obviously it gives a better performance, but whats the downside?
EOS 650D, 17-50 2.8, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 70-300mm
Sorry if my English is a little bad as I am not a native speaker

Walter Schulz

Writing a file with 128 Kbyte on a medium with 512 byte block size: 256 write operations have to be handled.
Writing a file with 128 Kbyte on a medium with 128 Kbyte block size: 1 (one) write operation.

Less overhead.

If the card is used to store small data files there will be unused disk space allocated by each file.
Writing a XML with 1 Kbyte -> 128 Kbyte allocated.
127 Kbyte unusable for other files.

Not an issue when used within a cam IMO.

Ciao
Walter

edge11

Quote from: jimmyD30 on March 26, 2014, 05:33:58 PM
Yeah, I just use a windows machine and format the card exFAT with 128 KB block size (only use this large block size with cards you will use raw video or else you will waste a lot if space).

See my ML RAW work flow videos here: https://vimeo.com/jamesdesira/
I haven't been able to get it to work.
The card doesn't take the firmware update like it does when i have it to fat32
I'm following the instructions from page one of the 650d magic lantern thread.
Works 100% fine with fat32 doesn't work at all for me in exFAT.
any one know what i am doing wrong or have any suggestions as what i can do to make it happen?

spider

You have to make the card bootable with eoscard.

glassescreditsroll

So is there a difference between mlv and raw rec? I know raw dosent record audio but are the workflows different? Is one easier? Can anyone point me in the right direction to where I can find an up to date workflow for raw post?

Andre2000

Hi,

I'm a newbie to ML and have for the past few weeks been reading through the many threads.

I have the 650D and Installed ML however I'm having some Issues:

I purchased a Transend 90MB/s ultra 32gig USH-1 Write: 55,4MB/sec.

The only Module I have loaded is raw_rec.mo set initially set to 1280x720 these are my only settings in ML

Raw-Rec enabled

After about 10sec I get an error 'movie recording stopped automatically' nothing was saved to the memory card.

I then under Movie tab I reset the Raw video to 640x360 I do not get any error, however nothing again was saved to the memory card.

If I record with the canon firmware 1920x1080 @24  there are no issues.

I guess It could be the memory card or more likely be user error in the way of setup.

Any help in identifying the root cause of the issue would be greatly appreciated. Including cannon forware settings and also ML settings.

I guess If it's the card which I purchased from Amazon ( Not 3rd party seller) I'll dispatch it back to them.

Andrew

rainless

Quote from: Andre2000 on April 03, 2014, 12:33:31 PM
Hi,

I'm a newbie to ML and have for the past few weeks been reading through the many threads.

I have the 650D and Installed ML however I'm having some Issues:

I purchased a Transend 90MB/s ultra 32gig USH-1 Write: 55,4MB/sec.

The only Module I have loaded is raw_rec.mo set initially set to 1280x720 these are my only settings in ML

Raw-Rec enabled

After about 10sec I get an error 'movie recording stopped automatically' nothing was saved to the memory card.

I then under Movie tab I reset the Raw video to 640x360 I do not get any error, however nothing again was saved to the memory card.

If I record with the canon firmware 1920x1080 @24  there are no issues.

I guess It could be the memory card or more likely be user error in the way of setup.

Any help in identifying the root cause of the issue would be greatly appreciated. Including cannon forware settings and also ML settings.

I guess If it's the card which I purchased from Amazon ( Not 3rd party seller) I'll dispatch it back to them.

Andrew

Use the latest nightly, try mlv_rec instead of raw_rec, set the camera to 960x540 and get back to me.
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

Andre2000

HI,

I download the latest build which was April 2nd. I noticed the disable all modules was enabled by default.

I loaded the mlv_rec then set under Movie tab: RAW Video to 960x540. Got different results after 6 seconds I get frame skip but no file is saved. Another time instead of the red camcorder logo in rhe top right hand corner I get a green logo that seems to record for at least 30 seconds but no file on playback. So no file in ML up to this point is saved to the memory card.

Thanks for your help.

Andrew

spider

How do you look for the file? Canon playback button?

Andre2000

Correct.

Also when I press the ML menu button ( cannon trash) It states recording in progress. The red recording light on bottom right of camera is illuminated.

Andrew