Matching RAW with in-camera h.264 material

Started by Steven, July 01, 2014, 07:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

I would like to be able to easily match those shots that are shot in raw and those that are only recorded externally or internally to h.264. I was hoping to be able to use Digital Photo Professional, canons own raw converter. Which allows picture styles like the cinestyle to be applied to .cr2 raw photos. But sadly the software doesn't recognize the extracted DNGs.

Is there a way to make DPP recognize the extracted frames? Or can someone give me a workflow alternative?

martin_a

You should try to apply the cinestyle LUT to your RAW footage and see if it matchs ;)
5D Mark III
16-35 f/2.8L II USM
24-70 f/2.8L II USM

Midphase

Best way is to use a heavy blur filter on all the .raw footage!   :P

kgv5

Actually it is not that bad, when h264 is exposed properly, has good white balance and added sharpening it can be used with raw in some cases. The hardest part IMO would not be the sharpeness (or lack of it) but color accuracy. Fortunatelly raw grading capabilities helps a lot to make a good match.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

N/A

Try shooting in something like Cinestyle or VisionColor's VisionTech for maximum DR, then use a LUT on both the h.264 and raw during color grading to get similar looks.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

jimmyD30

Quote from: Midphase on July 07, 2014, 08:24:59 PM
Best way is to use a heavy blur filter on all the .raw footage!   :P

LMAO!

@Steven

But seriously, try shooting h.264 as flat/cinestyle (there is a picture style available for download here: http://www.technicolor.com/en/solutions-services/cinestyle-download/cinestyle-faq), basically it's these camera style settings...

Sharpness: 0
Contrast: -4
Saturation: -2
Color Tone: 0
ISO: a multiple of 160

The flat picture style will get your h.264 footage out of the camera looking as close as possible to raw. Then apply Visionlog or Cinelog LUT in post to both as a starting point for color grading.

evanbuzzell

Quote from: jimmyD30 on July 08, 2014, 02:24:49 AM
LMAO!

@Steven

But seriously, try shooting h.264 as flat/cinestyle (there is a picture style available for download here: http://www.technicolor.com/en/solutions-services/cinestyle-download/cinestyle-faq), basically it's these camera style settings...

Sharpness: 0
Contrast: -4
Saturation: -2
Color Tone: 0
ISO: a multiple of 160

The flat picture style will get your h.264 footage out of the camera looking as close as possible to raw. Then apply Visionlog or Cinelog LUT in post to both as a starting point for color grading.

QFE! This is how I do it. Also helps to use a higher quality export h264 codec than the standard ones like MainConcept (part of premiere). I put the vision log 64bit LUT on the upstream, setting the cinemaDNGs to BMDFilm and then using the rec 709 blackmagic cinema camera LUT on the downslope. If you shot your original material well, it will come out quite nicely.