[ALREADY DONE] 5D3 - 1/24 shutter in 24fps movie

Started by Northernlight, May 26, 2013, 09:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northernlight

Hi, I have both a 5D2 and a 5D3 running ML! (And a 1DX waiting for ML!!) ;)

There is a feature I am missing on the 5D3, which is available on the 5D2.

The feature I am missing is 1/24 exposure (shutter) when shooting movie in 24fps/23.976fps.
On my 5D2 I can choose 1/24 shutter when filming in 24fps/23,976, but on the much more powerful 5D3, we cannot, why?
On the 5D3 we are limited to maximum of "only" 1/25.6 shutter in 24/23.976fps.
The strange thing is that when shooting movie in 25fps on the 5D3, we are able to choose 1/25 shutter/exposure, so it seem is not a hardware limitation on the 5D3 limiting the max (longest) shutter at 24fps.

The reason I am missing this is I am filming a lot in the dark (auroras/astro), and now with the breakthrough of RAW video, it would be particularly nice to have 1/24 exposure also on the 5D3 as we have on the 5D2, since the 5D3 has much better ISO performance. When doing my work, I am almost always underexposed (exposed to the left), so every single thing which can help me bring the exposure more to the right (without relying on levels/exosure adjustment alone) is wanted and appreciated! In this case, extending exposure time from 1/25.6 to 1/24 will help.

I know it's not a massive difference from 1/25.6 - 1/24, but would be nice to squeeze the most juice as possible out of the 5D3, particularly when this is possible on the 5D2.

So, can we expect the nice option of 1/24 shutter when filming in 24fps will be possible soon on the 5D3 also??

NL.

Northernlight

What do you mean already done? Has it been added just now? It is not possible on may 22nd build for 5D3. I can only choose max 1/25.6. What can I be doing wrong then?

BR.

NL.

a1ex

Yes, it is ;)

1/23.976 and 1/24.011, can't get anything in between though. Look in Movie menu.

Northernlight

Quote from: a1ex on May 27, 2013, 05:05:29 PM
Yes, it is ;)

1/23.976 and 1/24.011, can't get anything in between though. Look in Movie menu.

Ahh figured it out, had to enable shutter fine tuning under menu image finetuning, under move menu. That's why the exposure would not go higher than 1/25.6. I  could not understand as I was too used with menus for 5D2 and believed settings should be similar on 5D3.

Sorry for wasting your time, thank you so much!

Keep up your fantastic work! You guys are all fantastic!

Canon DSLR's would not be in the same class without ML, and Canon knows it!

BR.

NL.

a1ex

At first I thought expo override works just like in 5D2, but Canon firmware seems to refuse 1/24. Go figure.

Image finetuning was written for getting rid of TV flicker and for extreme shutter speeds like 1/25000, but it seems good for the other extreme too.

Northernlight

Quote from: a1ex on May 27, 2013, 05:36:31 PM
At first I thought expo override works just like in 5D2, but Canon firmware seems to refuse 1/24. Go figure.

Image finetuning was written for getting rid of TV flicker and for extreme shutter speeds like 1/25000, but it seems good for the other extreme too.

I figure this; limiting Canon DSLR users to 1/30, even when shooting in 24fps, is just another of Canons intentional annoying SW "limitations" to protect cannibalization of their video dep. The C300/C500 can film in 24p using 1/24 shutter.

It may not sound like a lot at first, but an increase in exposure from 1/30 -> 1/24 is actually a whopping 25% !!!!
My measurements when reading LV RAW histogram even shows that the real-life improvement is closer to 0.4EV !!!

So I really appreciate this option, and it will help people like me filming in very low light tremendously!! (relatively slow moving objects, using wide angle lenses)

I cannot seem to choose the ultra high 1/25000 shutter though, but less important for what I am doing. I will search forum reg. this.

Nice that the shutter fine-tuning stays in memory, so when I restart the camera it is there by default! THANKS!
I wish though, that it was easier to switch off this option (and on). As it is now I have to roll the wheel all the way until the fine tuning levels are back to zero (0). Hope you are able to look at this and make it easier to instantly switch it on (at a predefined value) and off.

With RAW video, 24p, 1/24 shutter I cannot wait for darkness to come back where I live! ;)

(Hey I can even shoot RAW video @20p, using 1/20 shutter should I want ! ;) )