[SOLVED] POST DEFLICKER with XMP

Started by Baquster, May 26, 2013, 07:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audionut

No problems here with code a few revisions before yours.  And doesn't appear that there was any changes that effected XMP's.

I'll double check again a little later with the latest revision, when it looks like a1ex has slowed on pushing fixes and updates.

Audionut

Marsu42

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on June 06, 2013, 05:39:45 PM
ACR reads most files but fails 3 out of 20 aprox.

How is "fail" specifically? Does it fail silently (ignoring the xmp) or does it return an error message? ACR (Lightroom 4 & 5) seems to have no issue with all xmp files here, maybe I'm just lucky.

RenatoPhoto

No error, it simply ignores the exposure compensation.  At the beginning I use to just run all of the xmp files through a little converter and I got 0% percent problems.  After the last change now I cannot get 100% read nor can I process them through the converter, because then it ignores them all and I cannot get ACR to read them no matter what I do.  It is very strange.  Even if I use some older compile, I can not get them to work.  I appears that something happened to my camera in the process.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Audionut

Have you been playing with the source?

Just to confirm, your XMP's are like this,

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Magic Lantern">
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
  <rdf:Description rdf:about=""
    xmlns:crs="http://ns.adobe.com/camera-raw-settings/1.0/"
   crs:ProcessVersion="6.7"
   crs:Exposure2012="+0.42237"
   crs:AlreadyApplied="False">
  </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>

RenatoPhoto

Thanks for the info.  It is the same format.  I am absolutely sure that something changed in the camera.. there is no question in my mind.  The problems is that I dont know how to get it back to what it was before.

The anti XMP virus has come my way!!  I can process the ufraw files but xmp is not read all the time by ACR.

The really strange thing is that if I touch the xmp files in any way then they 100% fail in ACR.  I use to be able to open them in notepad, notepad+++, excell and change settings.  Now if just open them and save then then ACR will not read them at all!!

Maybe something changed in the CR2 file itself?
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Audionut

It won't be the XMP's then, in the sense that the data contained is correct.  I can input crap data and ACR won't read, but as soon as I remove the offending data, ACR will read them fine again.

What color space are you setting in camera?  AdobeRGB will change the first character of the CR2 files as compared to setting sRGB color space in camera.

_46A0001.CR2
D46A0001.CR2

RenatoPhoto

I use Adobe RGB i.e. _xxxxx 

Even if i roll back to the builds where I could modify xmp, the camera now puts out new xmps that I cannot modify in any way.

Audionut

Switch the camera to sRGB.  If you only shoot raw photos it's just a flag that gets ignored in ACR.

RenatoPhoto

Eureka!  Problems with XMP solved

I can now modify my xmp files.  My camera was set one hour ahead of my computer time.   Anytime I messed with xmp the edit time was set 1 hour earlier then the created time and ACR would not read the files.

I can now read my xmp files in ACR 100% of the time.  I had an issue with the Bulk Rename utility because I was modifying the name of the CR2 file.  This put a modified time stamp on this file which was later then the XMP file.  Now I rename my xmp files and also use the option in Bulk Rename Utility to set my time stamp of Date Modified to Current Time.

LEARNED LESSON No 1: Make sure your camera time is not ahead of the computer time.

LEARNED LESSON No 2: If the name of your CR2 file does not agree with the xmp, change the XMP always.  In this manner the xmp will be modified after the CR2.  If you do it the other way ACR will not read the files.

Marsu42

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on June 13, 2013, 04:40:18 PM

... but by manually "touch"ing the files, here's a better solution - I created a dedicated bug ticket since I don't think this belongs in a "q&a" thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6468.msg50708#msg50708

platu

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on June 13, 2013, 04:40:18 PM

I can now modify my xmp files.  My camera was set one hour ahead of my computer time.   Anytime I messed with xmp the edit time was set 1 hour earlier then the created time and ACR would not read the files.

I can now read my xmp files in ACR 100% of the time.  I had an issue with the Bulk Rename utility because I was modifying the name of the CR2 file.  This put a modified time stamp on this file which was later then the XMP file.  Now I rename my xmp files and also use the option in Bulk Rename Utility to set my time stamp of Date Modified to Current Time.

LEARNED LESSON No 1: Make sure your camera time is not ahead of the computer time.

LEARNED LESSON No 2: If the name of your CR2 file does not agree with the xmp, change the XMP always.  In this manner the xmp will be modified after the CR2.  If you do it the other way ACR will not read the files.

Have you tried XMP files that are now generated for silent pics?  I shot a timelapse using intervalometer + silent pics... the XMP files were generated but ACR, Lightroom, or After Effects didn't seem to pick up the exposure adjustments from the XMP.   This is a very new commit so I'm not sure if it's just me or something that doesn't function properly when the files are DNG+XMP.
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/92fa76fb870df73fe8fc440c9de0f63d9af76589

EDIT:  I now see that this is a small problem with the XMP code which Audionut just identified.

Audionut

There was still a bug in the XMP code.  It should be fixed now.  It's working for me.

screamer

hi all, and sorry if i'm off topic, but i've readed all in the forum about xmp deflicker without solving my issue.
basically my problem is that the exposure compensation calculated and displayed on liveview when i shoot a timelpse with ettr and delickering activated is alway way over the +4/-4 range. so my xmp is full of +3.99 compensation intead of the correct one. tried all the cominations of ev in deflicker, and also in ettr but cannot have correct exp compensation.
if it' not clear i can post some combinations of settings i use
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

Audionut

Can you delete the ML config file and the config files from the module folder and try again with default settings.

If it still seems to be broken for you, can you post a CR2/DNG with associated XMP.

screamer

Think i've resolved ;)
http://youtu.be/VOvp5imv-g8

wow guys, this new Method For day\night timelapses is better t'han every Method i've used before, very stable deflickering and ettr is pretty useful, Great work guys
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

platu

Alex, I just shot a sunset timelapse using the combination of ML intervalometer, silent pics, XMP post deflicker, and Auto ETTR (always on).  This combination works really well, with the bonus of saving shutter actuations.  The only thing I did notice is that in the 25 second timelapse I did, there were 6 specific frames (mostly spread out) that the exposure adjustments were off, causing noticeable flicker in those 6 spots.  I had to manually correct those frames.  I didn't use an ND so my shutter was at 8000 to start, eventually dropping to 640, than 360, and ISO remained constant at 100 till the end.  I have a feeling that the 6 times where the XMP exposure adjustment were off may have corresponded to same moments when the shutter needed to change due to Auto ETTR.  I just can't be sure without having a way to match the drops in shutter speed to the incorrect XMP exposure adjustments.   Since shutter, ISO, etc. are not written to the DNGs, maybe both shutter and ISO can be written to the XMP.  With that, I would be able to verify my theory.

Edit:  Here's the timelape I did with the 6 frames already corrected.  No flicker... pretty much auto mode for timelapses.