Disable Bootflag on a 5D Mark 3, but how?

Started by fun3md, May 26, 2013, 01:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fun3md

Hi guys
i need to ask about the "disable bootflag" problem on a 5D Mark 3. Today i installed the Dev enable bootflag .FIR and tried autobooting ML. This all worked fine. But now i got a new EyeFi SD Card and want to use it. The problem is that i NEED to disable the bootflag in NVRAM to be able to use this card. If the Bootflag is on, the 5D won't boot.

Is there any option or method to disable the bootflag on a 5D Mark 3 again?

Current Setup
5D Mark 3
1.1.3 FW

16GB SD Card (for testing ML)
8GB EyeFi X2 pro

Mei Lewis

I have a similar problem. I've just tried out the new raw firmware for the Mk3 which enabled bootflag, but now I can't disable it.

I need to disable it because I usually run 5d3 alpha Magic Lantern from the SD card while using large CF cards in the CF slot. The CF cards all have 5d3 magic lantern on becuase I used them with that camera too.

Is there a way to disable to bootflag on the Mk3 and completely remove ML?

------------

The uninstall instructions given here:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Install

Don't seem to work:

" Uninstalling ML from the camera
    With a Magic Lantern card, launch the Firmware Update process and follow the instructions on-screen. "

That doesn't work because the firmware update just finished and there are no on-screen instructions.

noisyboy

The way I get it to work is by making the card bootable with all your usualy ML shit on their and the fir that you used to install it in the first place. When "update" it'll look like it's installed again but tell you to move to another shooting mode to remove the bootflag.

That is on a 6D and we don't even have alpha yet lol

Mei Lewis

Quote from: noisyboy on May 26, 2013, 04:34:44 PM
The way I get it to work is by making the card bootable with all your usualy ML shit on their and the fir that you used to install it in the first place. When "update" it'll look like it's installed again but tell you to move to another shooting mode to remove the bootflag.

That is on a 6D and we don't even have alpha yet lol

So you use the same card you used to install magic lantern, with exactly the same files, with magic lantern already loaded you run the firmware update again?

The green text on black still doesn't appear for me.

Levinson

bwwaaahaaa haa haa haaa!! Once installed, it's there....for EVER!!!!!

;) P.S. if you work it out, please tell me how to do it too
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

noisyboy

Quote from: Mei Lewis on May 26, 2013, 04:40:23 PM
So you use the same card you used to install magic lantern, with exactly the same files, with magic lantern already loaded you run the firmware update again?

The green text on black still doesn't appear for me.

Yeah dude. You did run EOScard to make it bootable right (sorry if this sounds patronizing, just double checking)? Also, a minor detail is making sure you are in "M" (manual) shooting mode to do this. Also like I say you do have the ML .fir file in the route as well and not a canon .fir?

Cheers :)

Danne

This is what Alex says in another thread about the bootflag issue "I need to prepare a special FIR. Short answer: call("DisableBootDisk")
"
This means that even if we run eoscard to make the cards booable we already have the bootflag set enabled on the 5d mark 3 if we managed to run magic lantern, and no way of disabling it at the moment. Check your start-up time on the camera. Should be significantly slower with the bootflag enabled.
I,m pretty sure Alex will get us the disable bootdisk shortly. Enjoy the rawmovie ride meanwhile. Magic lantern, making history, making movies ;)