Raw on the beach (600D/T3i raw video)

Started by N/A, May 26, 2013, 07:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N/A

Just happened to be at the beach a few days after the 600D raw build came out and was able to get some great test footage.

A couple of the shots were shaky from holding the cam and the strong beach wind, sorry! Those builds still had bad pixel issues but its since been fixed. Also, looks to be some aliasing and banding in the vimeo version that wasn't there in the original. The dolphin shot toward the end was 10x zoom, hence the roughness of that clip.

Rokinon 35mm Cine on the 600D, denoise and exposure/wb adjustments in ACR, exported to Prores 4444 and edited in FCPx with some slight color correction.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Roman

Wow, that came out good... much better than I expected given the 600D speed limit!

I'll have to get a faster card and give it a go.

Andy600

Nice one N/A!

This is the most impressive 600d raw video footage I've seen so far. A bit of film noise will help with some of the aliasing artifacts but it's really not that bad. Good job!  :)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

N/A

Thanks guys. Oh good idea Andy, a little film mojo never hurts

BartL

Haha.
I thought the moderator on this subforum was not available  ;)

Anyway, this is very awesome.
Unbelievable that this is possible with a camera in this segment.
Without doubht we laugh about statements like that in the future, but even though, for now it's true!

I love how you list all your equipment, including but not limited to a cheap ass wobbly tripod.
What SD card did you use to record this?
Can you still edit the raw footage in FCP X?

thefix

The 600d is a pretty epic camera for the price and I am a Big fan of Rokinon lenses. Nice work with the video, it goes to show you that you can still get pro results with an affordable price tag. Nice Job fellow 600D user!
;)
600D

N/A

SD card was Sandisk 95 MB/s. Yeah its seriously an underdog cam, with the right lens and enough knowledge you can get some extremely professional looking results from it.

BartL

Quote from: N/A on June 04, 2013, 03:23:32 AM
Yeah its seriously an underdog cam, with the right lens and enough knowledge you can get some extremely professional looking results from it.
Very subtle, you 'forgot' to add: "As you can see."  ::)
It's not really fair that real professionals get to use cameras that yield a good result more easily.
The same goes for chess, beginners wind up in the most difficult positions to solve.

As you say, the 600D really is an underdog camera.
I was inclined to whine about it here, but decided to do it here.

andjarnic

Hi all,

I can't tell what resolution this was recorded in, but it looks great. I am waiting on my T3i to come in (replacing a T2i with the Canon loyalty program because my T2i HDMI out died and repairing it was about $50 less than upgrading to a refurb t3i.. figured the $50 was worth getting an almost new camera and flip out screen).

Anyway, I replaced because I use a Shuttle 2 with HDMI out and the 1620x1080 clean ML output. With a little crop and uprez, from what I've seen (haven't actually been able to do it yet) it looks really good at full 1080P. I plan to use DNxHD not uncompressed because of the space requirements and costs of SSDs.

Anyway, my thought is.. if I can only record 1/4 HD resolution at RAW (14-bit no less) vs an almost full HD at 10-bit 422, wouldn't the extra 3x pixels with low compression (but at 10-bit) be "better" than the 14-bit at 3x less pixels in RAW once it's uprezzed to 1080p? I am thinking more in terms of indie movies, music videos, commercials, even wedding videos, that line of use.

I will test both once I get my camera and a more stable T3i build is ready for use.

N/A

Hdmi is still 8 bit 4:2:0, you'll just be saving it to a better editing codec.

andjarnic

That is true.. I forgot it's only 8-bit out of the camera. So naturally 14-bit is going to give much better detail. My question is in regards to the 1/4 pixel count in the 14-bit. At least from what I've read the most stable 16:9 format with 14-bit RAW on the T3i is 960x540, exactly 1/4 of 1080P. So, if I understand right, when I choose Raw and 960x540, a frame shows up on the LCD that shows what is being captured. What I am not sure of is since the resolution recording is 1/4 the pixels, even at 14-bit, will that provide good enough detail once blown up to 1920x1080 to be better than what I can get using the 8-bit HDMI output with a 1620x1080 image slightly cropped and blown up?

I suspect that the overall image will look better, but are we losing any detail by recording a smaller frame of video with 1/4 the pixel count?

On another note, would there be any benefit in recording a 16:9 resolution that is close to full 1080P (not sure if that is even an option yet) at a fractional FPS value.. for example, with Aodbe AE the interopolation looks really good when using slow mo. If we could record close to 1080P at 12fps, then use the best option to speed it up to 24fps, would it look good enough (if not even better) than recording at 960x540 and uprezzing x4?

Critical Point

You should do another test with the 3x zoom feature, because it gets rid of the aliasing, and shoot raw at 960x540, then upscale it to 1280x720. This would be theoretically the best image quality the 600D can give at the current time. I am very curious to see just how would a clip like this look like. 
600D & GH2 / PC.

N/A

I was thinking the same thing, will have to wait till I get an nd for the rokinon. Honestly though, I shoot mostly music vids and promos so my concern is vibrant yet natural color and clarity. The uprezzing is counter-productive BUT there's also a "look" to it. Some compare it to 16mm, idk. It does have a certain aesthetic quality to it.