Flicker Free ETTR Timelapse: - -Beginners Guide & Basic Post Processing --

Started by RenatoPhoto, May 26, 2013, 01:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Lightroom reads the xmp files just fine. See to it they are named the same as the cr2 files(I, m on a mac)

saltador

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 28, 2013, 09:34:44 PM
Not sure what expo ramp is, but yes anyway....  ;D

I just finished a test and i feel so stupid right now. It didn't work.
is ETTL supose to change shutter, f-top, iso to adjust exposure?

I know you were joking but i am still not sure what it does.
before this ETTL, intervalometor has a manuel ExpoRamp..i think it was called.

in my test nothing it changing.
i thought i follow all steps but must be missing something.

t3i
auto ETTL always on
intervalometor 5 sec
deflickering on
image review 8sec

is there other module that has to be active?
like auto exposure or something else.

Also read the Opening post for mac xmp workflow

but... I think Lightroom should be able to open the cr2 files and read the exposure adjustment included in the XMP file, even if you are on a mac.

I couldn't get the exiftool think to work..i read the steps and don't get it..don't work.

but i import to lightroom as many said it should work as well but..all my pics have the same settings and nothing changes.
i syncronised the folder..nothing..
i copied the card to my HDD and imported to LR..no xml shows thou..i think they must be hidden..but i'm thinking i must be doing something wrong from the capture moment.

sorry about the rant..anyone could shine some light in here please..????

thanks for your help..all its been all day reading about this..

saltador

Quote from: Danne on September 28, 2013, 09:39:52 PM
Lightroom reads the xmp files just fine. See to it they are named the same as the cr2 files(I, m on a mac)

hi.

i only see the CR2 on the folder from my t3i..is the xmp hidden? how to make it visible?

thanks..

i still think that i'm not doing it right from the capture..so..i hope to get clear there too.

thanks.

fcpk

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 28, 2013, 06:11:02 PM
According to Alex you have to do that in post.  I think he set Exposure target to -1EV
Ramping of this Exposure target would be useful but Alex says that is not possible. 
Here is an excellent now ramping module for Timelapse:
Intervalometer Ramping Module (adv_int.mo)
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8431.0

I am still experiencing weird problems with ETTR on last build.
It ramps up things to ISO 12800+32" exposure... and still shows a dark image on the liveview. However taking a picture with those settings is massively overexposed.
it seems there is some weird bug with liveview and long exposures? this is with -4EV exposure target.

Here's a picture of the screen during one of those tests:

EDIT: for what it's worth, this is with highlights display enabled, without them it's still not displaying the right exposure simulation

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: saltador on September 29, 2013, 02:04:54 AM
i still think that i'm not doing it right from the capture..so..i hope to get clear there too.

In the opening post..

11. Go to the Shoot Tab

12. Scroll to Slidecar file type and press Q.

13. Set Slidecar file type to UFRaw or XMP , and check the other settings i.e 50% and 4 EV.  Press Q

14. Scroll to Intervalometer and press Q to change it.

etc
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: fcpk on September 29, 2013, 02:14:33 AM
Here's a picture of the screen during one of those tests

I does not looked overexposed.  Look at the histogram, it seems that more exposure is needed to to a proper exposure to the right.  For night photography you probably should use WB like 4000.
You could also compare with Canon exposure for reference.  Go to bulb mode set your ISO to automatic and take a couple of pics.
You can also import those images to your software of choice and look at the histogram. 
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

fcpk

the preview is definitely wrong though.

example with max ISO 800:

Here's the preview display

Here's the image it takes:

fcpk

and if I let it go to ISO 12800 it's just massively overexposed, and that's at -4EV exposure

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: fcpk on September 29, 2013, 02:26:33 AM
and if I let it go to ISO 12800 it's just massively overexposed, and that's at -4EV exposure
have you taken a few shots to let ETTR stabilize.  It might take more than two..

My crystal ball is down today... and by the way you have not even said what camera you are using and what build.  maybe this function is not supported... 

fcpk

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 29, 2013, 02:38:26 AM
have you taken a few shots to let ETTR stabilize.  It might take more than two..

My crystal ball is down today... and by the way you have not even said what camera you are using and what build.  maybe this function is not supported...

Sorry, 5DMkIII, build from sept29

I will take a couple more pictures, thanks:)

fcpk

I am not seeing the ETTR E value in picture review mode(in the histogram), is that normal?
(it appears in liveview and RAW EV indicator is activated to ETTR Hint)

Danne

Quote from: saltador on September 29, 2013, 02:04:54 AM
hi.

i only see the CR2 on the folder from my t3i..is the xmp hidden? how to make it visible?

thanks..

thanks.

Lightroom doesn, t let you preview the actual xmp files. I don, t even see the changes in thumbnail corner in lightroom any more. It is however easy to determine if the xmp was applied by looking at the exposure slider. If it has moved at some point, than you, re ok.

fcpk

after quite a few pics ettr seems to stabilize here, so I guess it's working as expected. Is it sane/possible to use ettr & bracketting?

audunbrekke

Earlier I have had problems to get ETTR to adjust when using intervallometer. I have now reset all settings on my 6D, and in ML. I have also loaded the last ML from the nightly builds. Now the ETTR is adjusting the exposure when using intervallometer. But it adjusts all to much. Every other picture is overexposed and underexposed. It seems to be adjusting to much.  It now makes the worst flicker ever. Is there a setting that can set the maximum exposure adjustment between pictures ? In earlier ETTR versions there was a setting for how many seconds the average is calculated over ?

If I shot pictures manually with ETTR it also behaves strange. When it shows the preview it shows a big ETTR value, often -4 or +4, and it says f.eks last exposure 1/250 next exposure 1/2. but when the preview is finished, and the liveview shows, the ETTR values adjusts, and is nearing zero. When next picture is taken it is normally close to the best exposure. If I then look at wich shutterime it has used it is not the shuttertime that ETTR said it should use for next picture.

a1ex

ETTR by itself optimizes each photo without considering flicker; for that, you need to use post deflicker. These are two independent tools, each one does a single thing, and for a flicker-free timelapse you usually want both of them.

I don't understand what's going on from your description; try reading this: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Maybe a video of ETTR adjusting things can help.

rsmith02

Can someone describe the current tools to use for deflickering, since the guide in this thread appears outdated?

According to http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8149, the .xmp method has been removed, at least for the Canon 600D, and I can confirm that with the 10/3 build xmp files are no longer output with the cr2s (though for some reason the .xmp output menu item is still there.)

I can't very well use the ETTR mode without some way of deflickering, so I wanted to ask what to do. I'm using Lightroom to process the .cr2s.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: rsmith02 on October 05, 2013, 12:46:01 AM
Can someone describe the current tools to use for deflickering, since the guide in this thread appears outdated?

Outdated?? I just updated it today!!!  Just read it and you might learn something.

rsmith02

Hi Renato, I appreciate your work to detail it so clearly. This workflow seems promising and I planned to test it tonight.

I followed the steps and got stymied by deflickering.
If you see the thread I linked to it indicates that at least for the past month the XMP sidecar files aren't produced by ML (at least for my camera, I can't comment on others), and while it's hinted that there is other software can deflicker, the only one I found is the (somewhat expensive) LR Timelapse one. Am I missing something?
Here it lists xmp output as a "won't fix" to be replaced by a "post tool." https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/1595/600d-no-deflicker-sidecar-file-xmp-or

Without sidecar files this workflow isn't possible to follow and I'm stuck.

RenatoPhoto

New tool is not available yet.  I use xmp with every timelapse with 7D and 5D3.  For now you cant use ML flicker free feature for 600D.

rsmith02

Doyle4

@RenatoPhoto

In the mac guide theres a lil error iv spotted by the user who used it and must of gotten confused.

Step 7 where it says Select all and choose Auto White balance, this only needs to be done if the xmp's havent been created, if they have, doing this is not not needed, if they dont have xmp's this needs to be done before step 2 or after (only reason i move them is sometimes when using exiftool, if images are on memory card it can be slow, putting them into a folder on your desktop makes the process much quicker). Once all changed to Auto they all need changing back to As Shot (if they was happy with their white balance).

in the same section it says, "Make any edits should you want them" that can be removed.

Cheers.

blainesuque

Is anyone else expeirencing a shutter shake in the in camera intervelometer timelapses? if so, is there anything that neeeds to be done in any of the menus to prevent this from happening? Below is an example i did, i shot it straight at the wall next to a window and a board so it can be used as a reference of the shaking. im almost positive it isnt my tripod and because i shot it 3 times in my house in a stable position.

https://vimeo.com/76573195

Shot canon 5dmk3

blainesuque

i dont believe so, because its happened with almost every timelapse i have done using magic lantern, when i use my control intervelometer, it never happens. weird.

Doyle4

looks like someone may of been walking around... my footage can look like that in mild winds if my tripod isnt waited, also noticed slight shake when iv walked away and come back. try using after effects stabiliser.