(Auto) ETTR (Exposure to the Right): -- History & Beginners Guide

Started by RenatoPhoto, May 25, 2013, 07:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tankvps

Quote from: Audionut on August 18, 2013, 02:18:17 PM
That's correct tankvps.

And always on means that it continually calculates the exposure based on the previous shot.

Thanks.
But for Halfs dblclick, After I half click the shutter button twice, and then full click to shoot, no magic happens. How long should we wait for the calcuration?

Audionut

Double click half shutter should produce the same actions as the set button option.

ouuzi

I am having a problem with the slowest shutter speed.It keeps changing.I shoot landscape and I need the ISO to 100,so usually I set the slowest shutter speed to 32" since I do not mind because of the tripod.Is there a way to make ML to remember the settings?

Audionut

ouuzi

It does change in ETTR module settings.I have kept it at 32" but yesterday I tried to shoot some landscapes and because the shutter speed was set at 1/2 by it's own ,it increased the ISO to get proper exposure.

ThLDQ

Hi ETTR guys.
I must be doing something wrong...
I tried ETTR on my 7d and followed the instructions from the first page of this post.
But I get a wrong result : exposing to the left.
An example :
- first picture 1/60, 4,5, iso 400, Manual mode, ETTR always on -3EV. The exposure is normal and the histogram center and left
- second picture calculated by the 7d : 1/250, 4,5, iso 100. The histogram is completely on the left.
Shouldn't it be the contrary and the 7d shouldn't have calculated an over exposition like 1/60, 4,5, iso 800 or more ?
I'm completely confused.
Thierry

a1ex

You have to set how many highlights you are willing to clip.

ThLDQ

The values are :
Trigger mode : always on
Exposure target : -3EV
Highlight ignore : 0,2%
Clipping mode : no clipping
Slowest shutter : 1/44
The rest : OFF
Thierry

a1ex

ThLDQ

Ok, I tried with -0,5EV, 0,2% Highlight ignore, no clipping, Slowest shutter 1/8.
I took a picture Iso 400, 1/125, 5.6. The histogram is centered.
The second picture with the ML settings was exactly the same,
The third one was 1/250, 5.6. The histogram is on the left with a pike on the right. The +/- ont he top of the screen shows -1, and when I go on the Quick menu of the 7d, The exposure correction shows -1.
And when I go to the Canon Menu the Exposure correction has been modified to -1 (I've never changed that value !). When I put this value to 0 and I take pictures with ETTR on, the value is modified to -1.
Thierry

a1ex

Let it ignore more highlights, maybe let it clip some channels too. Or shoot something with less dynamic range.

Or set the SNR limits if you use a recent version.

ThLDQ

akumiszcza

I'm using Auto ETTR on 50D. This build (https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads/Tragic.Lantern-2.0-Andy600.Build.2013Aug27.50D109.zip), based on Tragic Lantern 2.0, makes it possible to use Auto Snap feature and does not require entering LV mode. Normal nightly builds (checked yesterday) won't do it.

1. What is different between these builds? I see Tragic Lantern is merged into nightlies from time to time (later than the mentioned build anyway).
2. Quite often I see "exposure out of range" (or similar) message. A1ex mentioned that it's possible to use Auto-ETTR in very low light conditions (cave - http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6554.msg59368#msg59368) outside LV. What else is needed to get 50D to work in larger range? It is larger than old builds now, but still I can't use it in low light (not to mention caves) or in bright scenes.

Audionut

Quote from: akumiszcza on September 05, 2013, 07:34:03 AM
I'm using Auto ETTR on 50D. This build (https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads/Tragic.Lantern-2.0-Andy600.Build.2013Aug27.50D109.zip), based on Tragic Lantern 2.0, makes it possible to use Auto Snap feature and does not require entering LV mode. Normal nightly builds (checked yesterday) won't do it.

The main development line has those features.  Check the OP of this thread ;)

akumiszcza

Quote from: Audionut on September 10, 2013, 02:55:16 AM
The main development line has those features.  Check the OP of this thread ;)

I don't see anything in opening post about this. Settings are fine, the same for TL50D build and nightlies. Auto Snap just doesn't take another photo on my 50D in nightly build (at least several days ago). Or maybe is there a place where I can download newest ettr module alone?

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: akumiszcza on September 05, 2013, 07:34:03 AM
1. What is different between these builds? I see Tragic Lantern is merged into nightlies from time to time (later than the mentioned build anyway).

I dont know specifically what is different but each developer can be testing or using different code that can make the camera behave differently.  When a code is acceptable to be merged with the unified then it will show up in the nightly build.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

akumiszcza

Quote from: Audionut on September 10, 2013, 03:01:13 PM
http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

I know where nightlies are, Audionut. Anyways I've downloaded latest 50D nightly just now and always on/auto snap does not work.  They work fine in two last TL builds. I'm just saying there is something there that should be probably included in main builds.

Canon eos m

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on May 25, 2013, 07:24:06 PM
Updated September 15th 2013..

In case that you know nothing about ETTR then go read here:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml

and then here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/optimizing_exposure.shtml

The luminous-landscape information was provided thanks to Michael Reichmann.

Wow! Lovely articles. Thank you for posting the links.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

ouuzi

I am noticing a slow down of ettr in the latest build.Is something changed ?I am using 5/10 build and I have set the trigger to Halfs DBC, I was using this till now.After double click it takes noticeably more time to end calculations(it goes to ettr(5) if this makes a difference),I have also noticed that I see something like a thin line of pixels scanning down the screen from top to bottom.
My setting are:
Defaults all except link to dual iso and SNR limits off both.

akumiszcza

Quote from: ouuzi on October 05, 2013, 10:05:47 PM
I am noticing a slow down of ettr in the latest build.Is something changed ?I am using 5/10 build and I have set the trigger to Halfs DBC, I was using this till now.After double click it takes noticeably more time to end calculations(it goes to ettr(5) if this makes a difference),I have also noticed that I see something like a thin line of pixels scanning down the screen from top to bottom.
My setting are:
Defaults all except link to dual iso and SNR limits off both.

As for this scanning – I've noticed it in October 3 nightly (see this post http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8322.msg80410#msg80410) and it was connected with RAW zebras I think. Sometimes almost all of the photo was overlaid by it, as you can see in the screenshot there. Anyway, the problem disappeared in later nightly for me.

Audionut

I picked up a 50d a few days ago and the zebras are borked.  Histogram seems accurate though. 
When I get some time I'll have a look.

The only time I have noticed AETTR being slower is when the debug/show metered areas options are enabled.  This is to be expected afaik.

Africashot

I just updated to the latest build by a.d. for 5d2, A. ETTR module is loaded but it appears grayed out, what can be the reason? I have tried all sorts of settings but can't seem to get it to work...

EDIT: Please ignore the above... image quality was set to jpg for RAW recording...
ML 5D2 & T3i

OlRivrRat

I shoot a 5DM2 & am trying to get into this AutoETTR thing ~ The 5d seems to be going through the paces ie when I press the SET Button it Beeps, the Mirror & Shutter sequence, followed by another Beep ~ But ~ the Exposure that I take next does not ETTR ~ anybody have any ideas ~ I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong just don't know what.

ORR ~ DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)