Convert to lossy dng

Started by jmanord, June 08, 2013, 10:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmanord

I am working on getting a camera, and apologize for not having personally tried this with any raw footage, but anyone wanting to store the raw files may want to consider using Adobe's new lossy dng format. I use it to store my "B" photos and it saves a considerable amount of space while retaining most of the flexibility of the raw file. Of course you will be locked into the Adobe ecosystem and it would add an additional conversion step. As usual, thanks to the awesome ML contributors!

Audionut

Quote from: jmanord on June 08, 2013, 10:15:15 PM
lossy

This single word is the problem for me :)  While it is supposed to be visually lossless, the fact remains that data is discarded (never to be regained).  How much of a problem this might cause for future edits, I'm not sure.  I'm not willing to find out either.

I'd rather just buy more/bigger HDD's.  Cost per GB continues to drop and we are almost back to pre flood prices (in AU at least).

jmanord

cost  ;)

In case I'm not the only one that is limited the most by this keyword, here are some numbers I calculated (feel free to correct them).

Cost to store one hour of dng footage on a hard drive = US $13.18 (approximately)
Cost to store one hour of lossy dng footage on a hdd  = US $2.13 (approximately)

Here is a comparison of a dng vs a lossy dng with adjustments made. The comparison shows the difference between the two using them as layers with the "difference" blend mode selected.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/099jm71eqlaw9vv/lYa3y4r8U8#f:diff.jpg

Audionut

Yes.  I was thinking as a photographer.  Not as a videographer with hours upon hours of footage.

eyeland

Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...