60D RAW video - it's working !!!

Started by marekk, May 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

Quote from: PSimpso on January 20, 2014, 10:15:30 PM
What Picture Style are you using when shooting raw? Are people usually using the Technicolor profile or does it even matter when shooting raw?
raw is just that, raw. there is no picture style, there's not even white balance (other than metadata)

comurit

Quoteraw is just that, raw. there is no picture style, there's not even white balance (other than metadata)

This is completely true, however you can flatten your raw by using a log, in this case vision log gives you a flat image  to start with, then  you can apply a lut.
Have look at this site http://vision-color.com/visionlog/ and download your vision log if you are using ACR or lightroom.
You can really see the difference, once your log is applied you have to tweak your white balance.
I usually import my files in AE , camera raw opens  with the vision log applied, I start  to edit the white balance, and contrast if needed, that's it.
Once it's ok I export the footage as a prores 444 and I import it into premiere pro for color grading.
I can't run da vinci resolve or speedgrade, my macbook pro isn't powerful enough to run these software, it 's a 15" macbook pro mid 2009 with 8 gb ram and a ssd hard disk. I would have loved to use da vinci resolve but I can't.
In premiere I usually work by adding adjustment layer blending it in an overlay mode, then I put the opacity of the adjustment layer to 50%.
It all depends what kind of look you want to give to your footage, if I want to tweak it further I add colorista 2 on the footage and adjust shadows, highlights and midtone, if needed I use a mask too and  a little bit of sharpness too.
I hope this will help someone, please feel free to share your post processing.

Kurtzva

Quote from: dmilligan on January 16, 2014, 02:47:12 PM
You need to be more specific. What were your settings? Exactly how many frames were recorded/skipped? Does it change when you change the resolution? Use different cards? What about crop mode? Run the card benchmark, what does it say? Did you set the picture quality to S2? What fps are you using? Are you in 1080p24 in the Canon menu? FPS override? GD off? As you change any of those things how does it affect the number of skipped frames?

What's the file size? raw2dng is a command line tool, so if you're not familiar with the command line, operating it may be challenging, try using one of the many available GUIs for it (search the forum). AFAIK Resolve cannot directly open ML raw files, nor are there any players that I know of (other than MLV player, which is only for mlv_rec created files).

Hey! Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry about the late reply. Been trying to get everything together for a comprehensive test. This is what I have..

1. The only card that worked was a 32GB card running at 80MB/s. Again, I know the whole read/write thing. I'm just stating what I'm reading off the card itself.
2. I ran benchmark on the above (only that works) card, and it yielded the maximum read/write speed of the camera itself, which is 20-21MB/s.
3. I enabled frame skipping, and well, I don't remember the exact number, but for a clip about 20 seconds (about 650MB in size) skipped about 350 frames on the max resolution. At 720p, I was still getting drops, but a bit less. Around 200+ frames.
4. I've tried various different picture qualities. I removed RAW completely, I removed jpg completely, lowered them both as well. Didn't make any difference. None that I was able to see anyways.
5. I film in 24fps. Nothing else.
6. The file size is about 650MB for a 20 something second clip. I followed the workflow for Raw2Dng, and this is what I get every single time: "This ain't a lv_rec RAW file". The file name will clearly show .RAW at the end of the file. I've tried a couple players that are supposed to read .RAW files off a Canon camera, it displays this colorful white noise.
7. Sorry. Haven't tried the fps override or the GD settings. Yet. Figured this would be enough information to proceed.

I've tested on every single nightly going back a week now. I know some of them got updated, and some haven't. I get the same results across the board.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT

Okay. So I tried the below things and it was able to be read by RAW2DNG and it was able to spit out all the DNG files. That said, it gives me like 70 DNG files for a 30 second clip.

I enabled the fps override. I'm not sure about the specific of the setting itself, but I turned it on and tried a few different things. If I keep it at 2.5, it'll record with the GREEN video camera. If I put it at 24, it'll record with the RED camera. Not really sure what the difference is. The RED produced a .RAW file that was larger and more DNG files came from it. I'm not sure what "DG settings" are.

Would someone kindly share all the details of their settings for maximum quality? Some of the videos of the 60D raw I've seen are absolutely stunning.

I'm running the latest version of CC7 and nothing, including After Effects, Premiere Pro, Lightroom or Photoshop 14.2 can read the DNG files. I keep getting a file format error and I'm almost positive I have the RAW update installed. "Photoshop cannot open this file. If you are attempting to open a raw file from a digital camera, make sure you have the latest Camera Raw update installed via Help>Update....".

I've even tried the below two:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5694 and http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5495

The codec didn't work and the converter wouldn't recognize the DNG files that RAW2DNG produced. According to this: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows the last update came out almost 2 years ago. Am I reading that wrong? I'm guessing those are standalone updates. More recent ones use the CC Application Manager to update. But since either the codec, nor the converter worked, it's leading me to believe the DNG files produced have something wrong with them.

Thanks again! I'm getting closer and closer each time!

Hairuku

This may or may be more off topic than anything, but Intel recently announced their new Intel "Edision" project, of an SD sized computer http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/do-it-yourself/edison.html

It would be interesting if we could somehow utilize this processing for something like AA?

dmilligan

Quote from: Kurtzva on January 24, 2014, 09:47:38 PM
I enabled the fps override. I'm not sure about the specific of the setting itself, but I turned it on and tried a few different things. If I keep it at 2.5, it'll record with the GREEN video camera. If I put it at 24, it'll record with the RED camera. Not really sure what the difference is. The RED produced a .RAW file that was larger and more DNG files came from it.
Do you not understand what frame rate is?

Did you put the camera in 1080p24 in the Canon menu?

Also, it sounds like you have more than one camera? Is that what you mean by RED and GREEN?

Kurtzva

Quote from: dmilligan on January 27, 2014, 01:16:28 AM
Do you not understand what frame rate is?

Did you put the camera in 1080p24 in the Canon menu?

Also, it sounds like you have more than one camera? Is that what you mean by RED and GREEN?

Yes. I know exactly what frame rate is and how it works. How exactly was that helpful?

Yes. Canon menu settings were on 1080p 24fps. That said, I've tried it on 720p 24fps, as well as the lowest at 60fps. I wasn't seeing any difference.

No. I only have the one Canon 60D. The Red/Orange/Greed are the colors of the little icon while recording in RAW. I'm guessing they are 3 different states of recording, one more optimum than the other.

dmilligan

I'm sorry I didn't understand, what you wrote you made it sound like you didn't understand what FPS override did, and you seemed surprised that different fps would have a different file size and different number of frames. It also wasn't clear what you meant by "it recorded with the green camera". You are apparently talking about the recording indicator, but that wasn't clear from your original post.

I cannot read you mind.

PaulC

So I have ML Raw working perfectly on my Canon 60D on one SD card (SanDisk Extreme 45mb/s) but I recently bought a new one (SanDisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s) and it doesn't want to work properly.

I'm pretty sure that I installed it the same way on both cards. The problem is that the raw_rec module won't load (as well as the other modules):

Any solutions?

Canon EOS 60D - (Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Helios 44M 58mm f/2)

dmilligan

Quote from: PaulC on January 27, 2014, 08:44:29 PM
I'm pretty sure that I installed it the same way on both cards. The problem is that the raw_rec module won't load (as well as the other modules):

Any solutions?

update to the most recent build, that one looks really old

PaulC

I'll maybe try that. Although, it just randomly started working anyway! Thanks.
Canon EOS 60D - (Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Helios 44M 58mm f/2)

leandroprz

Quick question guys. To upgrade from stable v2.3, do I just delete the old files and copy the new ones to the card?

Thanks

jimharrison.film

Quote from: leandroprz on January 29, 2014, 06:51:21 AM
Quick question guys. To upgrade from stable v2.3, do I just delete the old files and copy the new ones to the card?

Thanks

Yes, I got a bit confused by all the updates at the beginning of this thread. All you need to do is copy the latest nightly build for the 60D onto your card, replacing any files it asks permission to.

jimharrison.film

Here's my first proper Raw Video with the 60D. The town I live in floods every year so I thought I'd capture it:

philot

Quote from: gabezermeno on May 27, 2013, 07:47:05 PM
Anyone else noticing that the shots seem properly exposed on the camera and then underexposed when your editing? You then have to brig up the exposure which creates more noise.

Same here, i found the same observation in a couple of comments but no proper explanation. I mean - I certainly do know how to fix this in post, but I couldn't really figure if this is a GENERAL problem affecting all cameras or a 60D specific issue.

I tried different lenses and different settings but on the computer the footage is always underexposed compared to the camera.
Is there a workaround??

Any hint would be appreciated!

dmilligan

don't trust what you see on the screen, the YUV data doesn't acurately represent the data in the raw footage, expose to the right using the raw histogram/zebras/autoettr/etc.

expect to be doing some amount of grading in post (that's the point anyway!), if you're in a hurry and don't want to grade, raw is not for you.

see: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10289
(his problem is about silent picture, but raw_rec is nothing more than continuous silent pictures, so a1ex's advice applies here too)

philot

Thanks for your reply!

I wasnt specific enough earlier: I am aware of the fact that the camera screen is not representative for the RAW video output. But as you already named the RAW histogram - I actually stuck to expose to the right but the histogram at adobe camera raw wouldnt show an identic curve but go 2-3 stops down (which in practical terms is not a problem as 2-3 stops down would actually represent the correct exposure, its just that its not what the camera histogram showed).
The YUV-exposure meter is a good point and probably the answer to my question.
So the RAW histogram in ML is more like an approximation as it still depends on the values of the yuv-exposure meter?

Autoettr is not available for the 60D.

dmilligan

Quote from: philot on February 03, 2014, 09:30:42 PM
I wasnt specific enough earlier: I am aware of the fact that the camera screen is not representative for the RAW video output. But as you already named the RAW histogram - I actually stuck to expose to the right but the histogram at adobe camera raw wouldnt show an identic curve but go 2-3 stops down (which in practical terms is not a problem as 2-3 stops down would actually represent the correct exposure, its just that its not what the camera histogram showed).
AFAIK, ACR does not show you a histogram of the raw data, it shows you the histogram of the result with all of the settings applied. Just watch it change as you move a slider. (And there is always something being applied. Don't think that there is a 'neutral' ACR setting with all values at 0 that somehow represents the raw data, raw is 14bit linear data and it's being converted into an 8 bit non-linear color space for viewing on your computer display, a gamma curve is being applied even at all settings set to 0).

If you think there is a bug or something wrong about what the ML histogram is displaying, then take a screen shot of it and post that along with an unmodified dng output from raw recording.

So the RAW histogram in ML is more like an approximation as it still depends on the values of the yuv-exposure meter?
The raw histogram is not an approximation. It is exact. Here's an oversimplification of the camera's pipeline:
photons -> raw data -> debayer, curves, pic style, etc. -> YUV -> screen

Autoettr is not available for the 60D.
Yes it is, I use it all the time

philot

Ok, so after a couple of tests and playing around with the histogram options i DID find the way to somewhat match the two histograms - in the end it was about having selected "logarithmic scaling" what boosted up the curve. stupid me.
thanks again for all your input!!

and as for the auto ettr issue - I still dont know why i cant find it in the exposure menue. For a second i thought i might have hidden the option by accident but this wasnt the case.

Any further clue what i might have done wrong this time? auto ettr wont show.

dmilligan

jacktortuga

My first post! Great vids guys, Bought Canon 60d yesterday as a back up camera and i was hoping to shoot raw on the 2.3 stable version, but sadly RAW shooting wasnt included yet. (Noob)

Anyway just to clarify things, the version that has RAW capabilities is in the nightly builds right? Theres 48 pages here and i cant read em all :D

Edit:

Or should i use this file uploaded by marekk: (wondering if its the latest as of feb 2014)

Quote from: marekk on May 24, 2013, 11:24:26 PM
Pls use full ML package from this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u305oejjhm130k0/60d_raw_full.zip

you probably installed ML stable release and some files are missing.

And as ive said ive installed the stable 2.3 already, should i first uninstall that version in my 60D first before indtalling this version. Sorry for the stupid questions, ive just discovered ML recently. Thanks!

dmilligan

If you have the stable installed, all you need to do is download the nightly, unzip it, and replace all the files on the card with the new ones from the zip.

All the 'installer' does is set a flag in the camera that tells it to boot up from the autoexec.bin file on the sd card. Once it's set all you have to do is update the files on the card.

Don't use marekk's builds, the nightlies are much more up to date.

Please don't expect not to have to spend a tremendous amount of time reading and learning about this. You don't need to read this entire thread in particular (but there are others you should), but if you want decent results, you're going to have to do your research. This is a complicated hack, that is difficult to install, dificult to setup, difficult to use, and difficult to post process. It is not something for people who don't have a significant amount of time to read about it.

jacktortuga

Quote from: dmilligan on February 05, 2014, 01:56:27 PM
If you have the stable installed, all you need to do is download the nightly, unzip it, and replace all the files on the card with the new ones from the zip.

All the 'installer' does is set a flag in the camera that tells it to boot up from the autoexec.bin file on the sd card. Once it's set all you have to do is update the files on the card.

Don't use marekk's builds, the nightlies are much more up to date.

Please don't expect not to have to spend a tremendous amount of time reading and learning about this. You don't need to read this entire thread in particular (but there are others you should), but if you want decent results, you're going to have to do your research. This is a complicated hack, that is difficult to install, dificult to setup, difficult to use, and difficult to post process. It is not something for people who don't have a significant amount of time to read about it.

thanks for the help dmilligan i got it to work!

BTW im now experimenting with RAW resolutions using a Sandisk 32gb 45mb/s, would've bought the 95mb/s but it was already sold out during the sale at the Photoworld Asia sale last week here in the philippines. Thanks again man!

jacktortuga

Tried shooting in 2.35:1 resolution to get that feature film look, and experimented in resolutions. So far Im kinda disappointed in my Sandisk 32gb 45mb/s card. Should've waited for that 90mb/s!

Can shoot for about 100+ frames or about 4-5 secs. Im using the 1728x736 resolution so i can use the camera sensors full width, coming from a full frame user (i saved up for a full frame camera for my photography, a Canon 6D) i want to maximize the width since the 60D is already a crop sensor and its already a tight shot in a Sigma 35mm.

4-5 secs can do for now shooting landscape scenes and whatnot, hope i can get that 90mb card soon for longer takes.

dmilligan

It's not the card, don't waste your money, the SD controller in the 60D can't go faster than around 20MB/s. There's not much you can really do with the resolutions low enought to be continuous, so really RAW on this camera is limited to short bursts. I can get about 15s at 720p, that about the best you can expect.

holtwebb

RAW doesn't seem to be available on my 60D. Everything works great, but no RAW options.

I downloaded the most recent version of ML just last week (v2.3.60D.111). Is there something else I need to download?