60D RAW video - it's working !!!

Started by marekk, May 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalprince

Quote from: Paddi on November 16, 2013, 05:27:14 AM
well the only thing i would suggest is you check the folder for the actual new files/ try installing it again with the FONTS.DAT file

i cant find any FONTS.DAT file what did you mean? help me pls =(

Paddi

Quote from: metalprince on November 26, 2013, 10:32:46 PM
i cant find any FONTS.DAT file what did you mean? help me pls =(

FONTS.DAT file should be in your data folder inside the ML folder thats is the new nightly build. If you dont find it there, you're gonna have to get that file from the ML stable 2.3 version and paste it in the New ML folder, inside the 'data' folder (nightly build ML)

I hope this helps.

comurit

metalprince

Quote from: Paddi on November 28, 2013, 05:00:37 PM
FONTS.DAT file should be in your data folder inside the ML folder thats is the new nightly build. If you dont find it there, you're gonna have to get that file from the ML stable 2.3 version and paste it in the New ML folder, inside the 'data' folder (nightly build ML)

I hope this helps.

oh friend i saw that file already exist.But still i cant M tab in t ML? i cant load modules for raw video thing

anemptybox

In the list of aspect ratios, I see 4:3, 1:1,2:1, but I don't see anything else that could be used to maximize vertical resolution when using a 2X anamorphic adapter. Right now the most I can get on continuous recording in 4:3 is 768x576, which will become 1536x576(2.66).  2.66 is cinescope's full width, but I would like to be able to record in 2.39 and 1.85  which means I need 1.195(roughly 6/5) and .925.  Is it possible to get these aspect ratios?

I've also noticed that the higher  the horizontal resolution and the lower the vertical, the higher the continuous record total resolution. Which means I could turn my anamorphic on it's side and squeeze 1600x320(5:1), into 1600x640(5:2 ratio) as opposed to a horizontal squeeze of 4:3's continuous 768x576 into 1536x576. So I guess my second question is what is the perfect aspect ratio regardless of commonly used ratios, to yield the highest amount of total resolution when paired with a 2x anamorphic lens?

If anybody knows how to tweak ML to do this, I and others would be pretty stoked.
Canon 60D, Rokkor lens set(no adapter & infiniti focus) MC Rokkor 16mm 2.8, MD Rokkor-X 24mm 2.8, Rokkor-X 28mm 2.8, Rokkor-X MD 50mm 1.4, MC Rokkor 58mm 1.4, MC Rokkor 100 2.5, MC Rokkor 135mm 3.5, MD 35-70mm 3.5, Tokina 100-300mm 4

abrainin96

After installing the most recent update, I wasn't able to load my modules, thus I couldn't use RAW. Help?

comurit

anyone doing any better with raw?
cheerse!!!!

comurit

:'( is anybody out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hellooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Flocksock

"anyone doing any better with raw?"

What do you mean? "anyone" tried raw to a different time.
What do you want? Check the latest release an try raw for yourself
if you want. And post video, too. any feeback is good.

Kurtzva

Hey guys!

First of all, thanks for this! Awesome!

Second, it don't work for me! :(

I have a Canon 60D, running latest firmware, running latest ML, 100%. Then following the above instructions to the T, I got the RAW option available and I am able to start recording, but after the 1st frame it captures, it fails and terminates recording. I end up with no RAW file.

I have tried 4 different cards, ranging from speeds of 20-90mb/s.
I have tired lower resolutions recording RAW, no dice.

I've been flashing Android devices for years, and if a Camera is anything like an Android device, no two are really completely identical. Could it be possible that my camera simply doesn't like it? Or do I need a much faster card?

I'm sorry if this has already been asked. I wasn't able to find anything. I appreciate any help you could give me on this! I'd love to be able to record RAW!

Thanks!

Hairuku

I'm still using the nightly build from Nov 18 and it is working fine, if you can get your hands on that version at least it'll be able to workfor you

tin2tin

dmilligan

Quote from: tin2tin on December 20, 2013, 05:25:46 PM
Has MLV been ported to 60D yet?
There's no porting to do, you can use it if you want. The issue with MLV is the extra overhead required doesn't make a lot of sense for the 60D with it's extremely crippled SD slot. You're better off using raw_rec so that you can get as high a resolution/duration as possible.

a1ex

I didn't try MLV lately, but thought the overhead is now next to none (so I was expecting it to completely replace raw_rec at some point).

If raw_rec will still be faster in the long run, I may resume maintaining it as a minimalist branch recorder that does one thing and does it well (that is, simplify the code, remove advanced stuff like digital panning, focus on speed and robustness, and leave all the extra options to MLV). Thoughts?

dubarry

as long as you don't get rid of raw_rec completely!

the 175 frames are just too good to give up.  Not just the quality but the useability of the raw video is just fantastic.

Kurtzva

Quote from: Hairuku on December 20, 2013, 05:23:04 PM
I'm still using the nightly build from Nov 18 and it is working fine, if you can get your hands on that version at least it'll be able to workfor you

I was wondering if perhaps someone can tell me what is the minimum card requirement to get RAW working?

I'm really not understanding why I can't get RAW to work on my camera specifically.

I've updated now running the latest ML nightly. The new UI sleek, and I see the RAW module. I can enable it and get it to run, but for some reason, it's telling me, at 24fps, a camera that should be able to do 20mb/s and a card that does 30mb/s (sorry, I know the read vs write isn't the same, I can't remember all the values), I'm only getting 6mb/s, it'll record and fail within a second or two.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks!

filmcubepro

here's a tip so you guys don't waste time and money.
1. it has already been said, but the 60d only writes at 20 mb/s max . So if you plan to buy a new sd card, make sure to take this into account.
2. even though the and sd card say 95 (or any number) mb/s, it doesn't mean it writes at that speed, it means they will mostly read at that speed, for offloading.
3. I'm not sure for other cards, but with Sandisk, on cards that are higher than 16gb , the camera formats as exfat. this particular change may be a reason, but cards higher than 16gb usually write slower for raw movie rec.
4. per my experience, 16gb sandisk sd at 30mb/s and 45mb/s maintain a speed higher than 20 mb/s when recording. they are fairly cheap so you can stack up on those. and you'll get the maximum time of recording out of them.

Hairuku

Quote from: Kurtzva on December 21, 2013, 12:20:31 AM
I was wondering if perhaps someone can tell me what is the minimum card requirement to get RAW working?

I'm really not understanding why I can't get RAW to work on my camera specifically.

I've updated now running the latest ML nightly. The new UI sleek, and I see the RAW module. I can enable it and get it to run, but for some reason, it's telling me, at 24fps, a camera that should be able to do 20mb/s and a card that does 30mb/s (sorry, I know the read vs write isn't the same, I can't remember all the values), I'm only getting 6mb/s, it'll record and fail within a second or two.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks!

Make sure your image quality (from the Canon Menu button not ML menu) is not set to RAW image quality, set it to just a medium JPEG or something and that increases the buffer size of the clips, I find that I can record 2.35:1 ratio at 1280x522 (or something maybe 544) around 30 second clips. Though usually stop down to 1152x5something to get continuous recording I don't mind wide formats and even enjoy the cinematic feel of framing etc.

The card I use is a Sandisk 60MB/s write card. I only had issues for premature recording of second or 2 clips when I was shooting at some astronomical resolution. Interesting though, the last option would be a defective card or SD slot in the camera.. Though I can't imagine that being the case

Also: here is a 15 second shot I did with a 28-70mm 2.8L, I think the quality is fantastic and can't wait to work with it more, might even tinker with the code myself and see what happens.

EDIT: For continuous shooting I use a 2.67:1 ratio at a resolution of 1152x432. Though mostly I shoot at 2.35:1 at 1280x544 in 31-36 second clips. I also like the look of non-raw video because combined with my lens it is soft and great looking! Good luck and have fun and be creative!

vroem

Quote from: Bioskop.Inc on October 17, 2013, 03:26:18 PM
BAD PIXELS:
Here's a link to Marrek's build that gets rid of the bad pixels (you need to turn on LV_AF_Raw in the Raw Video menu).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0jiq5wuzwp6igyi/ml60d_01_09_2013.zip
The only way to get rid of the bad pixel bug is to get this build from september 2013. Is there any development going on to resolve this bug in the official Magic Lantern? I couldn't find a bug report on this, I suppose I can open one?

filmcubepro

Quote from: vroem on December 29, 2013, 06:48:18 PM
The only way to get rid of the bad pixel bug is to get this build from september 2013. Is there any development going on to resolve this bug in the official Magic Lantern? I couldn't find a bug report on this, I suppose I can open one?

actually this problem doesn't arise with the 5d's . its a problem relative to the 60d along with other dslr. To fix this problem in camera, marekk's build is the most effective solution, but gives artifacts.

if you can settle for a fix in post, Adobe camera raw (implemented into after effects) and lightroom have an automatic dead pixel remover. however , this means your workflow will rely on those applications for grading and such ( if you really want to grade raw files).

the dead pixel is mainly why we 60d users can't use the davinci resolve raw workflow

i honestly use lightroom to color CORRECT into a flat enough profile. and then export as uncompressed 16 bit Tiff container . the file is no longer raw once it reaches davinci resolve, but you still have your original 14 bit of data. ( and the detail recovery that raw allows has already been utilized in lightroom)

Hairuku

My question is that I want to record 2.35:1 widescreen but the box is in the middle.. is there any way to record edge to edge and only crop the top and bottom off of the screen? Instead of having to record everything inside a little box? Seems extremely unhelpful as a crop camera you already have to move back farther and this is like double cropping and having to move back a tremendous amount.. very egregious.

filmcubepro

Quote from: Hairuku on December 31, 2013, 05:44:46 PM
My question is that I want to record 2.35:1 widescreen but the box is in the middle.. is there any way to record edge to edge and only crop the top and bottom off of the screen? Instead of having to record everything inside a little box? Seems extremely unhelpful as a crop camera you already have to move back farther and this is like double cropping and having to move back a tremendous amount.. very egregious.

then you have to change the resolution 1080p with that aspect ratio , the width won't be 1920 exactly , but it does go edge to edge , but your record time drops dramaticly ,
i'm afraid there is no other way

Hairuku

Quote from: filmcubepro on January 01, 2014, 04:54:48 AM
then you have to change the resolution 1080p with that aspect ratio , the width won't be 1920 exactly , but it does go edge to edge , but your record time drops dramaticly ,
i'm afraid there is no other way

Dang, 1728x736 would be perfect to record in. I wonder if there is some sort of hardware hack I could wire up to get it to send video quicker than the SD slot... Or are we hardware limited by the camera itself? Or just the SD card? I just got a 60D so I am still pretty new to all this.

Bioskop.Inc

Quote from: Hairuku on January 01, 2014, 11:38:02 PM
Dang, 1728x736 would be perfect to record in. I wonder if there is some sort of hardware hack I could wire up to get it to send video quicker than the SD slot... Or are we hardware limited by the camera itself? Or just the SD card? I just got a 60D so I am still pretty new to all this.

The 60D is hardware limited & nothing is going to change this.
However, if you lower the crop factor you will get longer recording times & some settings do upscale very nicely (better than H264 in video mode).
The only set back is that to get continuous RAW recording on the 60D, you have to use a low crop factor that doesn't really upscale any better than the internal H264 video mode.
So you either use short bursts of Raw (which is workable) or use Raw for those detailed shots that video mode can't handle.

filmcubepro

anything from a width of 1152 and over, upscales adequately.

look at the bitrate info while you're recording :the closest you are from 22 mb/s , the better your card is.

Quote from: Hairuku on January 01, 2014, 11:38:02 PM

besides, your the 60d can't really go over that bitrate: "bottlenecked" , those sneaky people from Canon :p