60D RAW video - it's working !!!

Started by marekk, May 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From China

filmkid1080

Does anyone know why I cant change the shutter speed? like the number changes but if I go to like a higher shutter speed it wont make it darker.... I don't have NDs so this is kinda annoying.

maybe I just need to disable something?

gary2013

sounds like exposure is locked. make it manual exposure.

metalprince

Quote from: Paddi on November 08, 2013, 04:12:07 AM
have you installed the nightly build or just the ML Stable version 2.3?

yes already installed =(

Paddi

Quote from: metalprince on November 16, 2013, 01:08:23 AM

yes already installed =(

well the only thing i would suggest is you check the folder for the actual new files/ try installing it again with the FONTS.DAT file

Theiamania

Hi everybody,
I'm starting to record in RAW with these settings:

Video Format from  menù Canon: 1280*720 50p
Video Format from menù ML: Raw 1280*514
CBR 1.x (default)

Scan Disk extreme Pro 957MB/s

unfortunately rec stops after few second (7...9 sec) , the camera icon in upper right corner becomes from yellow to red and than stops...
What is wrong?
Help please.  :P :P :P :P

Haliburton

When selecting your RAW recording size, look at the bottom of your screen.

ML will tell you the data rate of the *frame rate and pixel dimensions you've selected. Anything over 20 MB/s is faster than the 60D can write to the card, and will cause recording to stop when the camera's buffer is full.

You can maximize the size of buffer available to ML RAW by going into the Canon menu, and setting stills quality to the smallest JPG. Also set Auto Power Off to OFF.

Too, for most stability while shooting RAW, once you have made all the settings you need for your scene, turn off Global Draw.

*Related to this is that you can film larger pixel dimensions at lower frame rates. I sometimes shoot timelapse at maximum possible resolution, at up to 7 frames per second, which still generates less than 20 MB/s to write to card.

It also means that many of us (as you seem to as well) have begun using wider aspect ratios such as 2.39:1, common in feature films... something we might not have explored, without the limitation of 20 MB/s.

We also plan our takes better, so that we can capture what we need in the 30 seconds or so we have available to us in RAW. That's longer than many scenes we see in finished films: it forces us to be organized!

There's no just-letting-the-camera-run-for-minutes-on-end, with 60D raw.

Finally, once you've finished filming, be sure in the Canon menu to set stills quality and Auto Power Off back to your preferred settings! You wouldn't be the first ML user to take a bunch of tiny JPGs of something important, or to have your battery die because you were depending on the camera to shut itself off :)

Quote from: Theiamania on November 16, 2013, 12:49:52 PM
Hi everybody,
I'm starting to record in RAW with these settings:

CBR 1.x (default)

Scan Disk extreme Pro 957MB/s

unfortunately rec stops after few second (7...9 sec) , the camera icon in upper right corner becomes from yellow to red and than stops...
What is wrong?
Help please.  :P :P :P :P

Theiamania

Hi Haliburton and many thanks for explanations,
but I still have problems...
I setted stills quality to the smallest JPG. Also setted Auto Power Off to OFF.
always with this setting, it stops... :'(

CBR 1.x (default)

Scan Disk extreme Pro 95 MB/s

I tried to shot Raw 768*308 and it works... so, is my Scan Disk extreme Pro 95 MB/s a FAKE? >:(

I also cannot see what I shoted... and I have to extract SDHC and check in reader card what I daone. All (shorts) file were on card but i didnt0 see them on camera, by player >:(

Flocksock

You wrote "so, is my Scan Disk extreme Pro 95 MB/s a FAKE?"

No. You card works fine.
The 60D ist not able to write faster than 20 Mb/s.

With a 20 mb/ s card you will get 20 mb/s
If you have a 50 mb/s card .... you also only get writing speed 20 mb/s
with a 95 mb/s card you also get only 20 mb/s.

get it?

Theiamania

Okay now; great,
I see many, many video test with canon 60D filmed at 1280* an over but I figure out now they are not sol long few seconds...
Many thanks for explanations!

:-*

Flocksock

Check this thread:
Current raw video capabilities - All ML cameras
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0

If you check this thread you find some videos...
and some people post infos like this:
--------------------------------------
370 Frames
1280x720
Sandisk Extreme Pro 16gb 95mb/s
610 Frames
1280x582
Sandisk Extreme Pro 16gb 95mb/s

610 frames / 25 fps = 24 Seconds.

kunle

Flocksock
I had the following results using the same card - I have just loaded the raw files in raw2cdng and the results are below:-

1728x972 137 frames
1728x736 205 Frames
1280x582 706 Frames
1280x720 395 frames

All at 23.98 FPS -Global draw etc disabled.

These were the results of the tests i did in September, I was so impressed with the results that I bought a second hand canon 50D for continuous recording.

Canons 5D MK III and 60D all with ML, Samyang 35 mm f/1.4,Samyang 85mm, Tamron 17-50mm vc, canon 70-200 L f4, Sigma 10-20m, SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4.Sigma 50mm f1.4 art, Canon 24-105mm.

filmkid1080

Does anyone experience a lot of noise when filming RAW? I find that its always way noisier than the h264.

filmkid1080

Flocksock

Hej filmkid1080.
Great Video. very nice shots. There are some "magic lantern raw video" channels on Vimeo. Maybe you get more feedback there. Anyway. as i said. very nice video.

Bioskop.Inc

Quote from: filmkid1080 on November 19, 2013, 02:47:41 AM
Does anyone experience a lot of noise when filming RAW? I find that its always way noisier than the h264.

Go back 2 pages - I wrote a post explaining how ETTR will cut down your noise levels, there's even a video!
I also covered other basic things you should be doing when using RAW with your 60D.
(Think i'll paste it onto the first page)

NB. People have stopped replying to questions simply because they have been answered a thousand times.

Learn to use the search function or just read through the topic - there's actually loads of useful info.

filmkid1080

yeah I looked at that. I understand the ettr kinda but if I turn up the iso and expose to the right wont it just make it grainier?

Bioskop.Inc

Quote from: filmkid1080 on November 21, 2013, 09:02:42 PM
yeah I looked at that. I understand the ettr kinda but if I turn up the iso and expose to the right wont it just make it grainier?

With ETTR you've got to unlearn everything you've had to accept using a DSLR, just because you're shooting in RAW.
Here's some useful reading, the first link is the easiest to understand:

http://schewephoto.com/ETTR/
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/optimizing_exposure.shtml

It will only be grainier if you really push the ISO beyond the camera's limits - so i don't go much higher than 800 (stick to multiples of 100 for RAW - forget the the multiples of 160).
Also, in good light you choose ISO as normal, try to ETTR as much as possible, but you don't need to go overboard.
Its really important to use ETTR & a higher ISO in darker situations in order to limit/reduce the noise.
An ND filter is invaluable for ETTR.

Anyways, experiment till you get it right/understand - practice makes perfect....

PaulC

Quote from: filmkid1080 on November 19, 2013, 05:04:47 AM
http://youtu.be/RwvD_qijvAY my latest test footage

Great video showing the capabilities of RAW video. Gives us a better idea than the typical flowers, babies and pets videos!  :P
Canon EOS 60D - (Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Helios 44M 58mm f/2)

comurit

filmkid1080

Quote from: Bioskop.Inc on November 22, 2013, 11:37:56 AM

It will only be grainier if you really push the ISO beyond the camera's limits - so i don't go much higher than 800 (stick to multiples of 100 for RAW - forget the the multiples of 160).

so if the correct exposure is say 600iso you dont push it more than 800?
well what if you need an iso of 1600 for a correct exposure then ettr would be something like 2000 iso?

Bioskop.Inc

Quote from: filmkid1080 on November 22, 2013, 10:55:13 PM
so if the correct exposure is say 600iso you dont push it more than 800?
well what if you need an iso of 1600 for a correct exposure then ettr would be something like 2000 iso?

The 60D isn't great at low light, so its going to be limited in what you can shoot - RAW isn't really going to get you a better picture simply because the camera's sensor just isn't that great.
You really need to test out what is good for you, but at higher ISOs you might need to use something like NeatVideo to de-noise, but this will be easier to do & yeild better results because you are using RAW.

Remeber to use the RAW Zebras (i put them to 95%) & i tend to ETTR with a value of E -0.4, so its not too much over normal exposure but just enough to be able to pull it back.

Experiment & test

Theiamania

Just an other questions>
which kind of video format I've to set on Canon menù when I shot in Raw?
For example, if I shot 1280*... with ML, which video format have to choose in Canon menù.

bbpetrid

Quote from: alanjdoolan on September 29, 2013, 10:27:04 PM
Having the same issue though I'm hitting 80 frames.  I tried reducing the ratio and hit about 100.  What cards are you guys using?

I am having the same issue. I don't think its because of the card I'm using (Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s), cause i didn't have this problem before.
I get the following message, no matter what resolution i use in raw video:
"Early stop 15: This is a bug please report it"

I use all the recommended settings (global draw off, S2 JPEG quality etc).
I wasn't having this problem before.
It must be the latest nightly built i installed (22/11/2013).

If anyone could help i would appreciate it.
Thanks a lot for your help.