60D RAW video - it's working !!!

Started by marekk, May 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulC

Hey guys,

I've just started using RAW on my 60D but I'm having real problems with noise in all of my clips. Is there an easy way to get over this problem?

As far as I know, I'm using update #12.

Even with the noise issue, the level of detail and dynamic range you can get with the RAW footage is amazing. Thanks for all the hard work you developers have put into this!

Paul.
Canon EOS 60D - (Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Helios 44M 58mm f/2)

raffal92

Shooted entirely on canon 60d ml raw at maximum resolution possible 2:35 Aspect Ratio... longer shoot VBR-15

raffal92

as you can see i have a lot of bad pixel there is a way to remove them?

maxwellmcauley778

Where's a link to the ML Raw hack found at....??

sarotaz

Quote from: raffal92 on October 16, 2013, 11:41:25 PM
as you can see i have a lot of bad pixel there is a way to remove them?

Bad pixel is a common problem not resolved yet. Only way to hide these pixels is working in adobe products (After Effects or Photoshop).
Please post your workflow.

P.S. (i'm italian too, contact me in pvt)

Bioskop.Inc

NOISE & ETTR:
Ok, so the noise issue is because you aren't following the ETTR rule - more light=better detail & less noise.
Here's a video i made to demonstrate exactly why you should be following ETTR:

Use the Raw Zebras & a good reading should be about -0.4ev (you're nearly or just a bit overexposing).
I tend to use a higher ISO (400/800) & an ND filter, but if you make sure that you're exposing [enough] to the right (ETTR) & have good light then most ISOs should be fine.
Just remember that this is RAW & you'll have to do post work - you can recover everything!

BAD PIXELS:
Here's a link to Marrek's build that gets rid of the bad pixels (you need to turn on LV_AF_Raw in the Raw Video menu).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0jiq5wuzwp6igyi/ml60d_01_09_2013.zip

Here's a link to an earlier version (can't remember which one works best - think the one above has Dual ISO as well & some other stuff):
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-HdscXfsKpgbTJiT18tcS1ldjA/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1

It works & is the only workaround for the 60D ATM.

Don't be afraid to use the lesser crop modes - I find 1280x... upscales really nicely & you get longer recording times!
Also, remember to change the Picture Quality in the Canon Menu from SRAW to S2 (jpeg) - you'll get longer recording times.
Turn Global Draw off when recording.

And finally, if you want really high res bursts (i.e. higher than 1728x...) you can achieve this by doing the following:
Press x5 zoom button (remember to turn off Global raw first & set Frames Per Second Override!)
Press ML Menu button
Goto Raw Video Menu & you'll notice that you can go further on the Resolution scale (max 2512x...., but i use 2240x.... to be safe).
Exit ML Menu
DO NOT EXIT x5 zoom mode
Press record & you should be able to get about 73frames.

Its not perfect, but once you find a higher resolution that works well it can add to your videos.

Good Luck! 

Alex135

Quote from: Bioskop.Inc on October 17, 2013, 03:26:18 PM
BAD PIXELS:
Here's a link to Marrek's build that gets rid of the bad pixels (you need to turn on LV_AF_Raw in the Raw Video menu).

Here's a link to an earlier version (can't remember which one works best - think the one above has Dual ISO as well & some other stuff):
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-HdscXfsKpgbTJiT18tcS1ldjA/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1

Don't be afraid to use the lesser crop modes - I find 1280x... upscales really nicely & you get longer recording times!
Also, remember to change the Picture Quality in the Canon Menu from SRAW to S2 (jpeg) - you'll get longer recording times.

And finally, if you want really high res bursts (i.e. higher than 1728x...) you can achieve this by doing the following:
Press x5 zoom button (remember to turn off Global raw first & set Frames Per Second Override!)
Press ML Menu button
Goto Raw Video Menu & you'll notice that you can go further on the Resolution scale (max 2512x...., but i use 2240x.... to be safe).
Exit ML Menu
DO NOT EXIT x5 zoom mode

Its not perfect, but once you find a higher resolution that works well it can add to your videos.

Good Luck! 

Sir, you just saved me a lot of time and effort trying to figure out why my 60D could not record more than 4 seconds of 1280x720 30fps video. I knew there was something I had to change in order to make it work but it was a while ago that I read it and couldn't for the life of me remember. For this you have my thanks.

For workflow I have a question. I have been getting mixed results when I bring my raws over. The raw2dng frontend GUI for Mac. Using this I can create the DNG images and it renders a Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) for me as well using ffmpeg. The proxy, however, shows hot pixels. When I bring the DNG files it creates into After Effects there are none but instead I get more noise and a different exposure. (no settings changed during import) What am I doing wrong?

Anyone willing to help out a newbie? :)

And to everyone working so hard on Magic Lantern, you are amazing.

Bioskop.Inc

Quote from: Alex135 on October 17, 2013, 07:23:21 PM
For workflow I have a question. I have been getting mixed results when I bring my raws over. The raw2dng frontend GUI for Mac. Using this I can create the DNG images and it renders a Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) for me as well using ffmpeg. The proxy, however, shows hot pixels. When I bring the DNG files it creates into After Effects there are none but instead I get more noise and a different exposure. (no settings changed during import) What am I doing wrong?

Try using the Dropbox linked build I posted & this will get rid of the Hot Pixels.
If using a Mac then try RAWmagic, which is available free on the Appstore & see if that makes a difference - it works really well.

PaulC

Thanks very much Bioskop.Inc. I think it's just a case of having to practise a bit more! Brilliantly detailed response.

Sergio Villegas

Hello, First of all, thank you to every one that has worked hard on getting this updates to work with the 60D.
I am facing a problem that I don't know how to fix it and it is driving me crazy. When I "run the modules" the left dots go green and then to the right of each module it reads "err" and the modules cannot be uploaded. I have tried many things, but I can't just get it to work.

Can some one please help me?

Thank you in advance!!!!

SAI

Hey im having trouble with using RAW. I uploaded the module fine, but when i record it stops andgives me an error and there are know files in playback. The i tried recording again and stopping it before the error came. but still no file saved. Has anyone experienced this? is there a new file that i need to download?

SAI

are you supposed to remove the old autoexec.bin? or keep both on the sd card?

comurit

yes you have to remove the old one and replace it with the new one.
Good luck!!

sarotaz

hey guys updating my 60D to last version of ML, the temperature indicator shows over 60 ° C and changes in red color (in h264 shot). Is it normal?
What is the normal sensor temperature for this camera?

SAI

Quote from: comurit on October 19, 2013, 09:57:24 PM
yes you have to remove the old one and replace it with the new one.
Good luck!!

Thanks Just installed the latest nightly build. The Raw files are showing up, but nothings reading it. Do i need to convert it? is there a workflow tutorial? Work in a small Media Company iin the Virgin Islands. The Owner has a 5D Mark II No ML and my little 60D With ML is starting to Out Pace his! love ML!

SAI

@ Comurit Thanks Boss, I got it going before i read the post. I Downloaded RAWmagic for mac and then open the Files in Adobe Bridge. Is Raw2dng.exe better?

3rdwave

Press ML Menu button
Exit ML Menu
DO NOT EXIT x5 zoom mode

Good Luck!

This is by far the best way to shoot raw on the 60D at the moment.
Thanks for this.

sabit

Guys, I need help! Set ML 2.3, everything works fine! Sets the update number 10, turn in mode M, to load modules. But no one module is not loaded and no inclusion in Movie mode RAV. I apologize for my English.

PaulC

This is probably a stupid question, but... surely if picture quality is set to S2, you won't have the same ability to manipulate the video as with SRAW?

Bioskop.Inc

Quote from: PaulC on October 22, 2013, 05:48:48 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but... surely if picture quality is set to S2, you won't have the same ability to manipulate the video as with SRAW?

Not entirely a stupid question, but I meant change this setting when in Video Mode!
For some reason selecting S2 (jpeg) gives you longer recording times compared to when in SRAW - It has absolutely no effect on the Raw Video you are filming.

Obviously if you're taking photos, then any of the RAW options are the ones to go for (i like a combination of RAW & JPEG).

visivopro

Hey Everyone

I have a simple and possibly stupid question. I want to shoot some Raw and I have gotten everything installed and working but I can only seem to record 9 sec or less at 720P. Is that normal or is there a way to do at least 15 or more sec? It seems like that's just what you get right now but I thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks for the help

3rdwave

BAD PIXELS:

Press ML Menu button
Exit ML Menu
DO NOT EXIT x5 zoom mode

Good Luck!
So maybe I spoke too soon.
I'm getting pixels shown in the image below.

Could this be because I have Global Draw on?

I'm shooting:
1472x626 @ 2:35
using the above settings.

Thanks for your help everyone!

sabit

Please re-install the update ml60d_01_09_2013.zip It worked!

krp2nte

Ok Super Friends.  I am finally getting to business and shooting some RAW magic of my baby boy.  I have kept up on this thread all summer and I know I have everything down--except one thing.  (I did search the forum but this Q has seemed to go unanswered).

I bring my DNG's in to ACR.  While previewing the images and making minor tweaks--the hot pixels are not present (as expected).

BUT!

When I save the images in a new folder with the tweaks--the hot pixels are still friggin there!  As you all know there are few options within ACR as it pertains to image output so....what am I missing?

Please and thank you in advance :)

(If I pull the image all the way into photoshop and then save as jpeg, the hot pixels are gone--but if I just hit the "save image" button in ACR it get the hot pixels staying.)