60D RAW video - it's working !!!

Started by marekk, May 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjacklee

Quote from: tool on August 12, 2013, 11:14:05 AM
Dual iso, it's hardware related, dual amp only on 5DmarkIII and 7D. Read the PDF alex made.

Ohh I see... thanks for the info.. :)

mcnys

today i'm going to try record some raw video on 60d, so i need some information...

i will use my fastest card that i have for this, will install ml on it (which version is best for 60d raw at the moment?).
i will set my camera to s3, global draw off, and choose resolution (which one is the best?), i will then expose my image slightly to the right (ettr)...and that should do it?

From China

To try,more and more
then you`ll find it

PaulC

Hey guys,

So I've been following the development of raw video on the 60D for quite a while now. It looks like things are really starting to look good!

I was just wondering (and I hope this is the right place) how close we are to seeing an official stable release of raw video for the 60D? I realise that it takes a lot of time to perfect something like this.

Thanks, and keep up the awesome work you are all doing!
Canon EOS 60D - (Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Helios 44M 58mm f/2)

tool

iamoui

Quote from: tool on August 14, 2013, 12:53:04 AM
Pink frames ruined many shots:
https://app.box.com/s/k1xm5g6w2unserhygqrr

Direct Sunlight and no IS.

Yep, I've been getting more random pink frames than with earlier builds, too...

Other than that (and minus the shake) the footage looks great! What lens were you using? Any filtration? Raw settings? What was your post workflow?

iamoui

Quote from: PaulC on August 13, 2013, 11:03:37 PM
Hey guys,

So I've been following the development of raw video on the 60D for quite a while now. It looks like things are really starting to look good!

I was just wondering (and I hope this is the right place) how close we are to seeing an official stable release of raw video for the 60D? I realise that it takes a lot of time to perfect something like this.

Thanks, and keep up the awesome work you are all doing!

What do you mean by "really starting to look good?"

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a stable release of the 60D any time soon. It has a hardware limitation of 20.6 MB/s (or something like that) so full HD recording is not possible.

filmkid1080

ok so I dont understand how you change the resolution of the frame... all I get is 69 frames(maybe its my card). I downloaded a nightly build from a month ago and the raw module. Did I download the wrong one?

tool

Quote from: iamoui on August 14, 2013, 01:37:48 AM
Yep, I've been getting more random pink frames than with earlier builds, too...

Other than that (and minus the shake) the footage looks great! What lens were you using? Any filtration? Raw settings? What was your post workflow?

Shot above heads with Manfrotto 190XPROB + Triopo B3 ballhead, with the 3 legs and central column extended and acting like a monopod (3 legs bad decission, one leg would be better)  Canon 60D + Canon 70-200 F4L Without filters (no UV, nothing, bare lanse), lense hood on, Facing sun. ISO 100 (I think), f11, shutter 1/1000 25fps. I'm not used to shoot fast action on video mode, later at iso 100 and 1/50 too much blur for motocross freestyle.

Workflow --- RawMagic -- AfterEffects-- ProRes 4.2.2 ---> HandBrake 20mbit x264. I'm used to edit raw on Lightroom, don't like Camera raw. Just a few corrections at camera raw, shadows highlighs and contrast.

PaulC

Quote from: iamoui on August 14, 2013, 01:39:35 AM
What do you mean by "really starting to look good?"

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a stable release of the 60D any time soon. It has a hardware limitation of 20.6 MB/s (or something like that) so full HD recording is not possible.

I just mean that the resolutions people are squeezing out are good enough to work with. Each little improvement is nice to see.

I'm aware that we'll not get full HD recording, but even lower resoultions, when up-scaled, are far better than H.264.
Canon EOS 60D - (Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Helios 44M 58mm f/2)

Aeryk

Does everyone on this thread use a Mac?

Can

Quote from: Aeryk on August 16, 2013, 04:52:38 PM
Does everyone on this thread use a Mac?

I use a PC - why do you ask?

Aeryk

Quote from: Can on August 16, 2013, 05:46:41 PM
I use a PC - why do you ask?

because with Rawmagic and such it seems like the Mac workflow is only getting easier and more streamline. I asked if there was such a thing for Windows/PC and wasn't even acknowledged. I was just wondering if I was the only Windows user in a land of Mac.

filmkid1080

ok can someone do a tutorial on how to put the right firmware on the 60d? please? Im pretty positive I have the wrong firmeware on it and I dont understand how I can even shoot a few seconds of raw video.

superkvas

Hi everyone!
This is my RAW video.
All footage created via raw2dng ProRess

Bioskop.Inc

Quote from: Aeryk on August 16, 2013, 05:59:54 PM
I asked if there was such a thing for Windows/PC and wasn't even acknowledged. I was just wondering if I was the only Windows user in a land of Mac.
It does help if you try & look through the forum, but I think you should be looking here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5557.0

Quote from: filmkid1080 on August 16, 2013, 06:19:59 PM
ok can someone do a tutorial on how to put the right firmware on the 60d? please? Im pretty positive I have the wrong firmeware on it and I dont understand how I can even shoot a few seconds of raw video.
Right, you basically install the unified ML build v2.3.
Then you can download the latest Nightly Build or go through this thread to find a custom build by Marekk (there's one with LV_AF_RAW which will cut out the hot pixels).
You replace the AUTOEXEC.BIN in the root of the card & then the ML folder (if the RAW version only has a MODULE folder then put this in the ML folder).
Once you put the SD card back into the camera, go into ML & go to the MODULES section & Load the modules.
In video mode change the Pic Quality (in Canon Menu) to S2.
Go to MOVIE menu in ML & turn on RAW VIDEO - go into the sub-menu & choose a resolution (max starts with 1728x?)
When recording, turn off GLOBAL DRAW.

Aeryk

Quote from: Bioskop.Inc on August 16, 2013, 07:03:31 PM
It does help if you try & look through the forum

I've looked through just about every thread that seemed even remotely relevant. But I'll keep looking, thanks.

filmkid1080

filmkid1080

so how do you get rid of the dead pixel looking things...and the frame skipping?

raffal92

i have a lot of bad pixels.... they are always the same, but they dont appear always... is there a solution?

vovaja

the use of raw video, spoiled whether the matrix camera? raw video makes hot pixels?
canon 60D, hellios-44-2,canon 28-135mm

Bioskop.Inc

Quote from: filmkid1080 on August 17, 2013, 04:21:23 AM
so how do you get rid of the dead pixel looking things...and the frame skipping?
Quote from: raffal92 on August 20, 2013, 01:28:26 AM
i have a lot of bad pixels.... they are always the same, but they dont appear always... is there a solution?

Use this build by Marekk & in the RAW sub-menu turn on LV_AF_RAW - it does get rid of them, but is not ideal.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-HdscXfsKpgbTJiT18tcS1ldjA/edit?usp=sharing

However, you can get rid of them if you use Photoshop's raw converter & there are other Free programs out there like RPP or RAWTherapee that can do this too.

raffal92

Wow this build solved my problem.... i'll do some other test but it really solves the problem...
This is one of the first test i did with the last release i used, in some shoots you can see bad pixel

I'm really impressed how ml raw manages shadows, no compression artifacts only the shadow... it's very awesome...

i can get 8s 208f with sandisk 45mbs the same with 95mbs version

Burni_

Quote from: raffal92 on August 20, 2013, 04:53:35 PM
Wow this build solved my problem.... i'll do some other test but it really solves the problem...
This is one of the first test i did with the last release i used, in some shoots you can see bad pixel

I'm really impressed how ml raw manages shadows, no compression artifacts only the shadow... it's very awesome...

i can get 8s 208f with sandisk 45mbs the same with 95mbs version

You get 208 frames in 1728 x 972? Can you say more about how did you achieve that? it's like 8 seconds and something and so far I haven't heard of anyone getting more than 4.3 seconds on a 60D? Good job btw! :)

larrycafe

Quote from: Burni_ on August 21, 2013, 02:19:05 AM
You get 208 frames in 1728 x 972? Can you say more about how did you achieve that? it's like 8 seconds and something and so far I haven't heard of anyone getting more than 4.3 seconds on a 60D? Good job btw! :)

From the youtube description, it is 1728 X 736 (2.35:1)