60D RAW video - it's working !!!

Started by marekk, May 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Kesl

Here's the screenshots:

Thank you for all the work you've done here. And A1ex and nanomad and everyone else I have no Idea who you are but thank you, all of you

Abstrak

Quote from: John Kesl on July 17, 2013, 01:31:37 AM
Here's the screenshots:

Thank you for all the work you've done here. And A1ex and nanomad and everyone else I have no Idea who you are but thank you, all of you

I was about to say how the hell are you getting 38 mb/s on the 60D then I went back a page and seen you have a Mk ii as well lol

marekk

here is a raw_rec code for 5DMKII builds.
https://bitbucket.org/pravdomil/magic-lantern-hack/src/4c786d285287d28e4c7cc9ab72a82753f2fc7a2f/modules/raw_rec/raw_rec.c?at=unified

I'm going do add black borders and automatic disabling of global draw during recording to 60D build (till the end of this week).

Quote from: John Kesl on July 17, 2013, 12:34:57 AM
With the 5dmk2 the option to have black border is only available when global draw is off, it's in the RAW rec submenu. I recently shot a short film with my friends mk2 saw the feature and think it's fantastic. I know maybe you don't have the mk2 I'll post some screen grab in an hour or so.

John Kesl

Quote from: marekk on July 17, 2013, 12:01:53 PM
here is a raw_rec code for 5DMKII builds.
https://bitbucket.org/pravdomil/magic-lantern-hack/src/4c786d285287d28e4c7cc9ab72a82753f2fc7a2f/modules/raw_rec/raw_rec.c?at=unified

I'm going do add black borders and automatic disabling of global draw during recording to 60D build (till the end of this week).

Wow. Awesome. Thank you.

marekk

Ok, here is a new version of ML for 60D

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-HdscXfsKpgeWFDTHBNMnhfcEE/edit?usp=sharing

New options (thanks to 5DMKII users):
- enable/disable global draw during raw recording
- enable/disable recording frame (black bars) during raw recording

I have no access to my 60D today so please let me know if it works :)

Yuppa

@marekk

Works for me--this is great!  Only issues are (and I have no idea what this is like on the 5DM2):

1) The buffer meter flickers a bit when the black border is engaged.
2) On the RAW video menu, the "Recording frame" has "Black bars" (which in my mind translates to "letterboxed") as a choice, but I think "Black border" or "Black mask" or even "Black cutout" is more intuitive--if anybody else cares.

These are minor nick-picks.

Great job and thanks again!
When you care more about capturing DATA, as opposed to WONDERMENT, you've lost your creative SOUL.

Can

"Black Mask" sounds mysterious... ;D

John Kesl

Hi Marekk,
So as the other user said, the only issue is the meter flickers, and the frames and size info are cut off at the border with the frame.  Otherwise it's awesome, I like very much the lv_af on/off, it's good, nice touch. I recorded at my usual 1600 @ 2.35:1 @ 11.986 and ran the result through rawmagic 0.7b and looks good, really good. especially with lv_af on, as you know. also, i will test with my monitor and see what happens, because I checked with my friends 5dmk2 and used the monitor with this function and force VGA and it worked, i had acurate preview on the monitor and no corruption so i'll see what is results. Otherwise, this is fantastic, makes framing very nice and it looks nice when you shoot to have all black around the frame. Maybe it's also good for battery life?
Any way. Thank you.

John Kesl

Ok, So I checked with the external monitor, set force VGA over HDMI and recorded 1600 @ 2.35 @ 11.986 and works great. (except of the flicker of the meter for the frames and size). I'll put up a screen shot in a few minutes.

John Kesl

iamoui

John Kesl

Quote from: iamoui on July 17, 2013, 07:24:27 PM
Hey John can't see the screenshot.

I can. the black box with the white rectangle is the screenshot.

dubarry

Quote from: marekk on July 17, 2013, 02:24:55 PM
Ok, here is a new version of ML for 60D

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-HdscXfsKpgeWFDTHBNMnhfcEE/edit?usp=sharing

New options (thanks to 5DMKII users):
- enable/disable global draw during raw recording
- enable/disable recording frame (black bars) during raw recording

I have no access to my 60D today so please let me know if it works :)

Thanks again Marekk!

iamoui

Quote from: John Kesl on July 17, 2013, 07:29:21 PM
I can. the black box with the white rectangle is the screenshot.

this is what I'm seeing:

You can see it because you're using your dropbox url

marekk

Now it should be ok:

raw_rec.mo
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-HdscXfsKpgOU5ueFdHTjRIYTQ/edit?usp=sharing

LV_AF_RAW is a tempoary solution. We should to find memory address where raw type is stored. Then we can set correct raw type like on 5dmkIII, 600D etc.. Unfortunately disassembling is to difficult for me.

Quote from: John Kesl on July 17, 2013, 04:35:12 PM
Hi Marekk,
So as the other user said, the only issue is the meter flickers, and the frames and size info are cut off at the border with the frame.  Otherwise it's awesome, I like very much the lv_af on/off, it's good, nice touch. I recorded at my usual 1600 @ 2.35:1 @ 11.986 and ran the result through rawmagic 0.7b and looks good, really good. especially with lv_af on, as you know. also, i will test with my monitor and see what happens, because I checked with my friends 5dmk2 and used the monitor with this function and force VGA and it worked, i had acurate preview on the monitor and no corruption so i'll see what is results. Otherwise, this is fantastic, makes framing very nice and it looks nice when you shoot to have all black around the frame. Maybe it's also good for battery life?
Any way. Thank you.

Huit Films

https://vimeo.com/70441646

Here is a test on a SanDisk Extreme 45Mb/s

I recorded in 1280x480 continuously. Thank you for the development on the 60D!

John Kesl

Quote from: marekk on July 17, 2013, 07:56:39 PM
Now it should be ok:

raw_rec.mo
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-HdscXfsKpgOU5ueFdHTjRIYTQ/edit?usp=sharing

LV_AF_RAW is a tempoary solution. We should to find memory address where raw type is stored. Then we can set correct raw type like on 5dmkIII, 600D etc.. Unfortunately disassembling is to difficult for me.
I don't even know what you said just then, disassembling memory address raw type? bro  :-\ , but, I'm testing the module now....And it works. Siiiiick. And my 60D is rolling @ 21.3Mb/s. 2948 frames @ 1600 @ 2.35 @ 11.986. That's not bad at all. Awesome. Thank you

tool

Quote from: John Kesl on July 17, 2013, 08:12:26 PM
I don't even know what you said just then, disassembling memory address raw type? bro  :-\ , but, I'm testing the module now....And it works. Siiiiick. And my 60D is rolling @ 21.3Mb/s. 2948 frames @ 1600 @ 2.35 @ 11.986. That's not bad at all. Awesome. Thank you
How did you achieved such a results with your 60D?
I'm getting with my 60D sandisk 32gb ultra
ML-RAW-60D-hourly_2013-07-...07-00.zip with the new raw_rec module.
And 1600 @ 2.35 I'm getting 266 frames  Global Raw of, S3, no audio, 1080p 25fps

Abstrak

Quote from: John Kesl on July 17, 2013, 08:12:26 PM

What build are you running? I think the last compiled I updated to was July 14th.

John Kesl

hi tool.
yeah i shoot @ 11.986 fps. FPS override. Peruse the forums and you'll discover that the 60d is limited by it's buffer, so you must do some juggling to get the resolution you want. namely juggle resolution, aspect ratio and FPS. have fun. also your 60D will likely top out @ 21.3Mb/s, so if you'll notice on the bottom of your camera display in yellow it tells you what you can expect in terms of pipeline.
Have fun.

tool

Quote from: John Kesl on July 17, 2013, 09:15:08 PM
hi tool.
yeah i shoot @ 11.986 fps. FPS override. Peruse the forums and you'll discover that the 60d is limited by it's buffer, so you must do some juggling to get the resolution you want. namely juggle resolution, aspect ratio and FPS. have fun. also your 60D will likely top out @ 21.3Mb/s, so if you'll notice on the bottom of your camera display in yellow it tells you what you can expect in terms of pipeline.
Have fun.
Thanks for the reply, I get confused by the 11986, I tried raw from the first early builds, and benchmarking my SD. With this build and this card geting roughly 20.1mb/s, I have to do low-level format from computer, for now (just low-level format from camera).

For now, I just use 1728 @ 2.35 @ 24fps I get about 202 frames. Next week I'll be shooting lots of landscapes.

Having the option on the rawrec module to turn of the Global Draw it's nice. We just need the options "Set stills RAW quality back and sound recording on. This just would make Shooting RAW video and RAW stills perfect.

Huit Films

Hey there! I made a new test today, with another SD Card, a Lexar Professional 32GB 400x speed Class 10 writing at 60Mo/s.
Every shot were taken in 1472x626 and contain more or less 400 frames.

Here it is! https://vimeo.com/70577680/

v8rrc

Here's a short video I've made.
Shot at 1728 x 972 (16:9) @ 25fps, I get 134 frames every time on a Sandisk Extreme 45 mb/s or Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 mb/s.
I used a Minolta MD 50 F1.7 with an adapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpeOIP8yNig

PS:Any ideas on how to stop the pink frames?

Abstrak

Quote from: v8rrc on July 19, 2013, 01:02:17 AM
Here's a short video I've made.
Shot at 1728 x 972 (16:9) @ 25fps, I get 134 frames every time on a Sandisk Extreme 45 mb/s or Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 mb/s.
I used a Minolta MD 50 F1.7 with an adapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpeOIP8yNig

PS:Any ideas on how to stop the pink frames?

I've been trying to figure that out myself sometimes I get pink frames sometimes I don't. I've turned global draw off and that seems to work, but even then I still get them occasionally and I'm using the 45 mb/s Sandisk as well.

Side question what do you guys feel is the best resolution to shoot at that is practical? I've been using 960x544 continuous and uprezzing to 720. Anybody shooting at a higher resolution of 30 secs or more with success?

Nang

Quote from: Abstrak on July 19, 2013, 01:52:41 AM
I've been trying to figure that out myself sometimes I get pink frames sometimes I don't. I've turned global draw off and that seems to work, but even then I still get them occasionally and I'm using the 45 mb/s Sandisk as well.

Side question what do you guys feel is the best resolution to shoot at that is practical? I've been using 960x544 continuous and uprezzing to 720. Anybody shooting at a higher resolution of 30 secs or more with success?

I would like to know this as well. I originally started at 960x544, then went up to 1280x544, but it would be nice to able to shoot longer periods of time at 720.
Portfolio: somnang.4ormat.com | Video: https://vimeo.com/somnang
Prime: Olympus Zuiko OM 24mm f/2.8 | Rokinon Cine 85mm T/1.5 | Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 | Helios 44-2 58mm f/2.0 | Jupiter 37A 135mm f/3.5
Zoom: Meteor 5-1 17-69mm f/1.9, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, Tamron 24-70mm Di VC f/2.