60D RAW video - it's working !!!

Started by marekk, May 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

os6

Hi rsbruins,

do you record with exact fps and global draw off? it seems like these 2 options have a great influence on die "pink-pics". Change ur settings to: Override fps -> Exact 24fps. Also Disable Global draw and your results may get better :)

Finally got a day off and got to hace a go of RAW.  Its not a problem just a wondering I had.... One thing I've noticed though, how come some resolutions have a magenta hue and others don't?  1280x720 no colour cast but all resolutions do again not a problem at all but just trying to learn about how this is working

I set up using the latest build Marrek put up yesterday.  Is there anything specific I should look out for while testing it out, specific areas to be reporting back on.

Thanks all
Dave

Nang

Quote from: iamoui on July 06, 2013, 10:09:18 PM
Nang,

Picture profile settings whilst shooting raw are irrelevant. The only thing it will affect is what you view on the LCD screen. What you're capturing with raw, from what I understand, is the data directly from the sensor before it goes through any processing (such as picture profile application).

I usually use landscape profile to view on the LCD to help with achieving critical focus.

Ahh ok I see, thank you very much!
Portfolio: somnang.4ormat.com | Video: https://vimeo.com/somnang
Prime: Olympus Zuiko OM 24mm f/2.8 | Rokinon Cine 85mm T/1.5 | Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 | Helios 44-2 58mm f/2.0 | Jupiter 37A 135mm f/3.5
Zoom: Meteor 5-1 17-69mm f/1.9, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, Tamron 24-70mm Di VC f/2.

os6

Hi,

not sure if this is an know issue, but in most of my recorded videos the 2nd and the 4th frames are corrupt.

does someone has the same Problem?

sarotaz

Quote from: marekk on July 07, 2013, 08:16:10 PM
try this tutorial

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6845.0

Turning on the camera, the lv_af_raw setting does not maintain its state. I switch it off, switch it on and it works again.

I've tried the tutorial and it works good...but the pink highlights still remain but less visible. This is a interpretation problem of Resolve. The dng files opened with ACR look perfect.

kingskafa

Well... I'm not sure which nightly build I used...  but. Heres a little video I did for my church youth group.  Shot all in RAW 960x408 because it gives me the longest recording time.  Just wanted to see if I could use it in a real world situation with a 1 day turn around. So its probably not the most beautiful video but hey! Syncing the audio was the most time consuming part cuz 99% of the time I could not read the slate in the shots... but it all worked out.    I only boosted the shadows and exposure on a few shots and did basic color correction.   Oh yea and for the end section when there are little pygmies, I used the grass as a green screen. Did not turn out great but better than an h.264 any day.

iamoui

Quote from: sarotaz on July 08, 2013, 09:43:50 PM
Turning on the camera, the lv_af_raw setting does not maintain its state. I switch it off, switch it on and it works again.

I've tried the tutorial and it works good...but the pink highlights still remain but less visible. This is a interpretation problem of Resolve. The dng files opened with ACR look perfect.

Sarotaz, are you saying when you turn the camera on it shows that lv_af_raw is on but is actually off? Or that lv_af_raw doesn't actually stay on? My lv_af_raw stays on (or at least shows that its on) when I turn off the camera then turn it back on.

Thanks
Mick

marekk

I tested it and lv_af_raw stays on and dng files are created without hot pixels.

Quote from: iamoui on July 10, 2013, 04:55:07 PM
Sarotaz, are you saying when you turn the camera on it shows that lv_af_raw is on but is actually off? Or that lv_af_raw doesn't actually stay on? My lv_af_raw stays on (or at least shows that its on) when I turn off the camera then turn it back on.

Thanks
Mick

sarotaz

Quote from: marekk on July 10, 2013, 07:12:29 PM
I tested it and lv_af_raw stays on and dng files are created without hot pixels.

it's strange. yes when i turn off and turn on the camera lv_af_raw state is on but if i shoot i have hot pixel. But if i turn off and on the lv_af_raw i've no hot pixel anymore. I'll try again.

iamoui

Quote from: sarotaz on July 10, 2013, 07:46:29 PM
it's strange. yes when i turn off and turn on the camera lv_af_raw state is on but if i shoot i have hot pixel. But if i turn off and on the lv_af_raw i've no hot pixel anymore. I'll try again.

Same happened to me. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9bV9eF2RQTOTXIyMXJJVlZYMjA/edit?usp=sharing

This is when I (thought I) had lv_af_raw on but I still got dead/hot pixels.

raw (1600x680)->rawmagic->resolve (1920X1080)->bmd film with highlight recovery->captain hook LUT->reduce exposer by 1.50->light blur in resolve

a1ex

Again, lv_af_raw is raw data with an edge detection filter applied on it. You don't want to record it.

You can remove bad pixels, but you can't remove lv_af_raw artifacts.

iamoui

Quote from: a1ex on July 11, 2013, 07:47:22 AM
Again, lv_af_raw is raw data with an edge detection filter applied on it. You don't want to record it.

What artifacts does it create as opposed to without? Is there more aliasing and moire with lv_af_raw?

edit: I just tried again, making sure to turn off, then on lv_af_raw and didn't have any bad pixels. I'm sure I just forgot to turn off then on lv_af_raw when switching my camera off then back on. I'll keep testing, though.

sarotaz

no no it isn't artifacts due to edge detection. It is bad pixel again until you turn off and turn on again lv_af_raw function.
When raw function works properly bad pixel are removed.

This is the only solution to work in resolve at moment, until someone include bad pixel opcode tag in cinemadng converter. (i hope resolve read this tag).

a1ex

Just try to focus better and you'll see ;)

sarotaz

Quote from: a1ex on July 11, 2013, 09:05:17 AM
Just try to focus better and you'll see ;)

yes i know  :-\ but no other solution for raw working with resolve...maybe i have one...buying a blackmagic camera  ;)

marekk

it's only temporary solution, we are still wainting for badpixel_opcode in raw2cdng or rawmagic to test if resolve support this tag. I've got a lot of hot pixels in Resolve, much more than in ACR without badpixel_opcode.
Second option is to convert from 14bit to 16 bit in raw2dng but I don't know how to do it.

sarotaz

Quote from: marekk on July 11, 2013, 10:51:41 AM
Second option is to convert from 14bit to 16 bit in raw2dng but I don't know how to do it.

Unfortunately nope. I test to reconvert with photoshop in 16 bit dng and Resolve open it with a very low resolution. I ask in blackmagic forum and....i've realize that resolve doesn't support dng but only cinemadng.

marekk

It's not a problem of 16bit but adobe dng converter.

Resolve can't open dng files created by raw2dng because of number of bits (14). We need 10,12 or 16 bits to open in Resolve.

Quote from: sarotaz on July 11, 2013, 11:14:50 AM
Unfortunately nope. I test to reconvert with photoshop in 16 bit dng and Resolve open it with a very low resolution. I ask in blackmagic forum and....i've realize that resolve doesn't support dng but only cinemadng.

sarotaz

Quote from: marekk on July 11, 2013, 11:24:03 AM
It's not a problem of 16bit but adobe dng converter.

Resolve can't open dng files created by raw2dng because of number of bits (14). We need 10,12 or 16 bits to open in Resolve.

ah this is a half good news. Now "just" find a way to create dng in 10,12 or 16 bit from raw file. No one can help you?

Bioskop.Inc

Thanks Marekk for adding the lv_af_raw, its been a life saver!

It would be great if RawMagic could remove the hot pixels as its so much better, but the CinemaDNGs don't behave like other CinDNGs (i.e. I can't open them directly in FCPX).
Also, i've noticed that you can still kinda see the trace of the HotPixels when upscaling the footage, which is obviously really annoying.

On the plus side, i've been shooting some Anamorphic footage & have been able to upscale to 2K with great results!
Shooting 3:2 @ 1280x854 (11/12 secs recording) with a x1.5 anamorphic lens.
All my tests, so far, show that an anamorphic lens really makes the Raw files look a little cleaner (for upscaling) than if i had shot them without.

@A1ex - any luck with discovering how to use that extra memory?

marekk

Quote from: sarotaz on July 11, 2013, 11:52:33 AM
ah this is a half good news. Now "just" find a way to create dng in 10,12 or 16 bit from raw file. No one can help you?

I think it's faster to add one tag to cdng than create 14 to 16bit converter from scratch

sarotaz

Quote from: marekk on July 11, 2013, 12:27:47 PM
I think it's faster to add one tag to cdng than create 14 to 16bit converter from scratch

agree with you :D still waiting

a1ex

Come on, 16-bit output is easy, use an array of unsigned short, copy the image data, then reverse the bytes.

Or, you can interpolate the bad pixels in raw2dng. A previous implementation did that, but it needs some extra care for blobs of bad pixels.

sarotaz

Quote from: a1ex on July 11, 2013, 02:43:14 PM
Come on, 16-bit output is easy, use an array of unsigned short, copy the image data, then reverse the bytes.

Or, you can interpolate the bad pixels in raw2dng. A previous implementation did that, but it needs some extra care for blobs of bad pixels.

marekk could you add this feature to raw2dng? with 16 bit file we can try if resolve open correctly dng sequence.