60D RAW video - it's working !!!

Started by marekk, May 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marekk

I've just tested sorting buffers but on 60D it doesn't change anything. We've got 11 buffers (8x32MB + 1x22MB). 550D has only 3 buffers for default so in their situation it's important which is first.

dubarry

DerekDock

Here's my RAW video from last week in Hawaii. Such a response to the big Sur video that I decided to shoot all my personal stuff RAW on my 60D. Ran into a few issues that were mostly space and card related but you'll see some hot pixels and there were some magenta frames. I've got some error logs to post soon too. Check it out, post done in Lightroom and FCPX.

http://vimeo.com/68735671
www.vimeo.com/leftcoastdigital
www.twitter.com/derekdock

kotik

Quote from: marekk on June 19, 2013, 09:47:27 PM
I've just tested sorting buffers but on 60D it doesn't change anything. We've got 11 buffers (8x32MB + 1x22MB).
Eleven buffers? I stopped counting after 9!  ;-)
My 60D and ML shows: Alloc: 31M+31M+31M+31M+31M+31M+31M+31M+23M
Are these hardware differences a way to identify the difference between the 'slow' and 'fast' 60D's?
My first Canon: FTb QL (Quick Loading), my first digital Canon: 20D 2.0.3
The current one: Canon EOS R

marekk

ohh yes 9 :) I was so tired :)

Quote from: kotik on June 20, 2013, 02:18:49 PM
Eleven buffers? I stopped counting after 9!  ;-)
My 60D and ML shows: Alloc: 31M+31M+31M+31M+31M+31M+31M+31M+23M
Are these hardware differences a way to identify the difference between the 'slow' and 'fast' 60D's?

QUATRO

I haven't been here for a while and I was using the third build (I think). Does the last build offer any longer recording times? Dead pixel things don't bother me because my 60D does not seem to have any (at least I don't see them). Thanks!

DavidSmolik

Last hourly build ML-RAW-60D-hourly_2013-06-20_08-00 is very unstable on my 60D. Camera crashes after few seconds from startup.

dubarry

Thanks for the heads up DavidSmolik

Quote from: QUATRO on June 20, 2013, 03:08:23 PM
I haven't been here for a while and I was using the third build (I think). Does the last build offer any longer recording times? Dead pixel things don't bother me because my 60D does not seem to have any (at least I don't see them). Thanks!

I'm using hourly build _16-00  with no major problems.

Not longer recording times just more features.  Although I'm hopeful...longer recording times have not looked possible for us SD guys from the very beginning.

8beeeaaat

60D's Raw(UPDATE #9) + Raw2Dng.app 0.13 or RAWMagic 1.0 makes some Dead / Hot pixels...

A: the ProRes4444 file that made by Raw2Dng.app 0.13
B: Cinema DNG that made by RAWMagic 1.0 + DaVinci Resolve preview
C: Premiere CR6 + Ginger HDR preview
D: AfterEffects CS6 via ACR preview

No dead / hot pixels pattern is only D.

marekk

There is a new version of raw_rec with new buffering alghoritm:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/90c50ab005b7bb5307906a3352196248ce7f7d64?at=unified

It crashes during raw recording ? (if yes - on what resolution?)

Quote from: DavidSmolik on June 20, 2013, 04:28:55 PM
Last hourly build ML-RAW-60D-hourly_2013-06-20_08-00 is very unstable on my 60D. Camera crashes after few seconds from startup.

QUATRO

Quote from: 8beeeaaat on June 20, 2013, 05:18:43 PM
60D's Raw(UPDATE #9) + Raw2Dng.app 0.13 or RAWMagic 1.0 makes some Dead / Hot pixels...

I convert with RAW2DNG and then do all my work in After Effects later, so maybe that's why I'm not seeing any hot pixels?

marekk

As far as I know badpixel_opcode is added to DNG tags by standard raw2dng app only.

Quote from: 8beeeaaat on June 20, 2013, 05:18:43 PM

8beeeaaat

Thank you for your replying, marekk & QUATRO.

I would like to trying in standard Raw2Dng via console.

DavidSmolik

Quote from: marekk on June 20, 2013, 05:24:58 PM
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/90c50ab005b7bb5307906a3352196248ce7f7d64?at=unified

It always crashed when I went into ML menu and went to modules page..

Yuppa

Quote from: marekk on June 20, 2013, 05:24:58 PM

My 60D just locked up right after entry into ML menu.  The buttons became unresponsive.  I had to take the batt. out--wouldn't even turn off via power switch.  Reverted back to a prev. working version (which you should always maintain while testing).

Looks like the dropbox is no longer public, too.
When you care more about capturing DATA, as opposed to WONDERMENT, you've lost your creative SOUL.

a1ex

Check memory usage. Define CONFIG_TCC_UNLOAD in modules.c (breaks ETTR), or make sure you don't load bolt_rec, or both.

Yuppa

Global draw off.
Sandisk Extreme 45 MB/s 16 GB card.
1280 x 544 (2.35:1).

Before: 707 frames.
After: 861 frames.

Got an ERR 70 the 1st time, but not the 2nd, 3rd...

The buffer(s) indicator is cool, better than the stars by far.

Edit: at 1152 x 490 (2.35:1), before 1802 frames, after over 3,000 frames!

When you care more about capturing DATA, as opposed to WONDERMENT, you've lost your creative SOUL.

Nickbibs

Finally got some nice test shots with my new 60D at Brooklyn Bridge yesterday! The Raw is incredible!

Shot at 1472x616 @ 23.976 fps. Slight grade in Premiere Pro CS6.

As always, watch in 1080P!

Nickbibs

Bioskop.Inc

Nickbibs

Abstrak

Quote from: Nickbibs on June 20, 2013, 07:48:30 PM
Thanks Man!

Thanks for the vid you might want to check your export render settings it was pretty pixelated. I know its a lower resolution jsut curious what was your settings? I havent had a chance to play around with raw on my 60D yet.  I got some shoots this weekend didnt want to chance since I have 2.3 working good. I'll give it ago later this weekend next week and put on some shots.

Nickbibs

Quote from: Abstrak on June 20, 2013, 08:28:14 PM
Thanks for the vid you might want to check your export render settings it was pretty pixelated. I know its a lower resolution jsut curious what was your settings? I havent had a chance to play around with raw on my 60D yet.  I got some shoots this weekend didnt want to chance since I have 2.3 working good. I'll give it ago later this weekend next week and put on some shots.

Thanks man. It's not pixelation it's in the original DNG's too. I rendered at MAX quality on every setting in Premiere Pro.  Looks like MoirĂ© and Aliasing because of all the buildings. All the close up shots don't show any video artifacts...Hmmm

DavidSmolik

The last build is amazing! ML-RAW-60D-hourly_2013-06-20_17-40
On 1472x616 from 335 to 401 frames.
Keep on doing absolutely great job guys!!! :)

Edit: Every frame counts! ;) Gonna do tommorow more tests and put another spreadsheet here.

theollybanks

So I wanted to test how much freedom RAW gave us in post, it was all very well hearing how fantastic it is I really wanted to try it out, so I wen't out and shot the following, and graded each clip differently, some were relatively light grades and some were rather dramatic, certainly miles higher than anything I'd even think of doing in the stock codecs shall we say limited colour space, it really is staggering how far we can push our images, to be clear I used only the tools available in Premier Pro, I've been having issues with Resolve and RAW recently (My venerable 2011 iMac might not be up to the task), I think it may be obvious which clips have been pushed further, certainly believe it or not banding became a small issue with the highlights in the clouds at one point, but honestly, theres banding in the highlight skies with h.264 before you even touch the footage, So I'm over the moon really, I'd love to tell you specific  settings but Auto ETTR obviously has its drawbacks on that side, and my memory lacks dexterity... Anyway general settings at the end of the video and also my workflow!

(side note, I've noticed a total disappearance of the cumbersome vertical semi-transparent "lines" in the latest build)