60D RAW video - it's working !!!

Started by marekk, May 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidSmolik

I wanted to try how many frames can I get from my 60D at different resolutions and aspect ratios. I was testing on sunny day with ISO 100 and Sandisk SDHC 45MB/s card. Might be helpful for somebody. :)
Results here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hl7qlrsujkrnqg0/RAW_60D.xlsx

cuttooth

Great spreadsheet David. I am using the exact same card and have tested on several different builds and I am not getting as many frames as you. at 1728x972 I am only getting 74 frames, 1600x900 100 frames etc. I have the global draw turned off, are there any other settings I need to turn off to get the most frames?

OrionnebelGalaxie17

Quote from: cuttooth on June 18, 2013, 06:39:47 PM
Great spreadsheet David. I am using the exact same card and have tested on several different builds and I am not getting as many frames as you. at 1728x972 I am only getting 74 frames, 1600x900 100 frames etc. I have the global draw turned off, are there any other settings I need to turn off to get the most frames?

Turn RAW image quality off and set it to S3 :)

cuttooth

Nickbibs

Hey guys! Just bought a 60D so I could shoot RAW! Can someone link the newest version of RAW2DNG for me please? Still trying to figure out the best workflow. Seems it's hard to do on a Mac with Premiere Pro.

cuttooth

You can download raw2dng.app here: https://bitbucket.org/600dplus/magic-lantern-things/downloads

I have been using the raw2dng.app.0.10.zip because ver 0.11 wasn't working for me. The latest version is 0.12, but I havent tried it yet.

Nickbibs

Quote from: cuttooth on June 18, 2013, 07:46:30 PM
You can download raw2dng.app here: https://bitbucket.org/600dplus/magic-lantern-things/downloads

I have been using the raw2dng.app.0.10.zip because ver 0.11 wasn't working for me. The latest version is 0.12, but I havent tried it yet.

Wow! Thanks! 0.12 makes a .mov of the RAW footage along with the DNG's!

payne

Quote from: Nickbibs on June 18, 2013, 07:52:54 PM
Wow! Thanks! 0.12 makes a .mov of the RAW footage along with the DNG's!

Be careful though: the prores file that Raw2Dng 0.12 makes is not fit for using as an actual source file ( in a lot of scenarios). It makes for a great "check file" to keep track of your footage but it does not fix any issues with hot/dead pixels and it bakes in a strange white balance etc.

I have found that I still need to do pre-processing on my files upon import to After Effects. The actual DNGs do not show the hot pixels either. Even the default "as shot" white balance on import to AE is way way better.

Just my two cents

Can

Quote from: Haliburton on June 17, 2013, 06:41:07 AM

• theoretically, the USB interface can achieve UHS-1 speeds: if we can use this to bypass the internal SD card altogether, there could be a huge improvement in write speeds

What kind of hardware could it be programmed to accept?

Nickbibs

Quote from: payne on June 18, 2013, 09:59:41 PM
Be careful though: the prores file that Raw2Dng 0.12 makes is not fit for using as an actual source file ( in a lot of scenarios). It makes for a great "check file" to keep track of your footage but it does not fix any issues with hot/dead pixels and it bakes in a strange white balance etc.

I have found that I still need to do pre-processing on my files upon import to After Effects. The actual DNGs do not show the hot pixels either. Even the default "as shot" white balance on import to AE is way way better.

Just my two cents

Thanks man, Yeah just using it for a quick check then bringing the DNG's into After Effects. Exporting ProRes 444!

dubarry

commit 0db037b 
speedsim.py: added a simple buffer optimization. Example: 550D 1152x464 23.976 21.0MB/s => 1819 frames; with current ML method: 390.

Any Idea if this can be ported/utilized on the 60D?  Have not seen any difference with the last hourly build _16-00.

Nickbibs

Quote from: dubarry on June 19, 2013, 01:50:13 AM
commit 0db037b 
speedsim.py: added a simple buffer optimization. Example: 550D 1152x464 23.976 21.0MB/s => 1819 frames; with current ML method: 390.

Any Idea if this can be ported/utilized on the 60D?  Have not seen any difference with the last hourly build _16-00.

Whaaaa? If they did it on the 550D it will be done on the 60D!  ;)

dubarry

That's what I'm hoping bud (but don't get too excited yet)

But since the 60D has not really been in the spotlight yet (Thanks again Marekk and Rocket!) it is best for all us 60D owners to find constructive ways of getting attention.

60D Nation is probably larger than any other category and likely the least technically inclined.

Haliburton

Quote from: Can on June 18, 2013, 10:23:03 PM
What kind of hardware could it be programmed to accept?

As far as I remember, it was a1ex who made the comment about these cameras' USB being theoretically capable of UHS-1 speeds.

I believe the capability to have the camera dump to an external card or drive is part of a Canon WiFi adapter.

As to what external hardware, we can drool that it would be something like the CF card guys are getting all excited about:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5470.

Haliburton

Quote from: jayhas on June 17, 2013, 08:27:21 PM
I forgot about the focus peaking! That's why my focus was off in some of my clips:)

Did another test a couple of days ago at 1792 x 736 using ML-RAW-60D-hourly_2013-06-12_13-50 (haven't tried the latest ones yet). Brought along my slider to see if it is possible to operate (manually) and get usable footage within the time constraint of 7 seconds. Very tight, 1-2 secs used up pressing start and starting the slide. Also a few clips have the magenta flash at the beginning.

This is the outcome:

<snip>

Well done, Jayhas.

From an Image Quality standpoint, I noticed ants crawling on the stair risers at the 50 second mark.

I'd bet they'd be lost in in-camera H.264 mooshiness; only way to capture such detail would be RAW.

lmf

Premiere ProCC
Import and freely combine any type of video media, from video shot on a phone to raw 5K, ;D and then edit natively without wasting time transcoding. The ultimate toolset for video professionals, Adobe Premiere Pro is a powerful, customizable, nonlinear editor that lets you edit video precisely the way you want.

https://creative.adobe.com/products/premiere

Can

payne

Quote from: Nickbibs on June 19, 2013, 02:23:12 AM
Whaaaa? If they did it on the 550D it will be done on the 60D!  ;)

Fingers crossed! This could be a game changer! If that be around 75 seconds at just under 1280x720p would that mean around 30sec at the higher 1600x900?

theollybanks

We have so much buffer at our disposal, I think this 550D buffer optimisation coupled with a1ex's idea about unlocking some of that unavailable buffer he mentioned we could indeed be looking at some form of "long enough" recording time, it might not be practical for interviews or event's but with every project comes the appropriate gear, and by that I mean RAW or H.264.

If donations would help, I mean specifically for the development of making the 60D viable, you show me where to send my checks and to who!

dubarry

Quote from: theollybanks on June 19, 2013, 02:36:25 PM
We have so much buffer at our disposal, I think this 550D buffer optimisation coupled with a1ex's idea about unlocking some of that unavailable buffer he mentioned we could indeed be looking at some form of "long enough" recording time, it might not be practical for interviews or event's but with every project comes the appropriate gear, and by that I mean RAW or H.264.

yea I have been following the commits (comments only as the rest is completely foreign to me)

Marekk has been making some big moves with the 60D but he keeps really quiet about it.

marekk

I'm going to test sorting of buffers and splitting them into smaller pieces in the evening.

Quote from: theollybanks on June 19, 2013, 02:36:25 PM

If donations would help, I mean specifically for the development of making the 60D viable, you show me where to send my checks and to who!

marekk

no :)

a1ex is making big moves.. I only added some 60D config and shared compiled binaries :)

Quote from: dubarry on June 19, 2013, 04:53:12 PM
Marekk has been making some big moves with the 60D but he keeps really quiet about it.

jayhas

Quote from: Haliburton on June 19, 2013, 04:16:03 AM

From an Image Quality standpoint, I noticed ants crawling on the stair risers at the 50 second mark.

I'd bet they'd be lost in in-camera H.264 mooshiness; only way to capture such detail would be RAW.

Thanks Haliburton. I happened to have a shot of the same scene on H264, also with the slider. So I made a quick comparison video to highlight the stark difference in clarity of both format. Not that we didn't already know:)

Raw video scaled up to match 1080p and the H264 color adjusted to the raw shot.

Seven seconds was just barely enough to get slider shots, so if the latest news about better buffer optimization is positive, even jib shots in raw will be viable on the 60D! Looking forward to that.

theollybanks

I was talking about optimising buffer size's a little while back on a separate topic, and at the time it was deemed impossible, but now just weeks later it is! But still its really great how we've come up so many amazing solutions and work arounds for the limitations of RAW, SD Cards and Buffers, its honestly phenomenal how this website has made more dramatic changes to the operation of Canon DSLR's then canon have in dozens of firmware iterations!

I'm going to hopefully be using the 60D to shoot a few paid jobs in the next few weeks, I'm honestly that confident, its really a feat and I bow down to everyone on this forum and their seemingly infinite technical knowledge!!

dubarry

Quote from: marekk on June 19, 2013, 04:57:25 PM
no :)

a1ex is making big moves.. I only added some 60D config and shared compiled binaries :)

See what I mean?

At any rate everyone knows A1ex is awesome. His comments to stupid questions are so entertaining. If he had a t.v. show I would watch it!
But it is clear he is focused on 5D3 and an actual Alpha.

commit be40bfa 

dng banding fix from marekk

You can't hide from the commit's Marekk. But I do appreciate the little tidbit you just filled us in on.

To the rest of you: this does not give you free reign to start bugging Marekk (he's on our side) if you all start asking when? or how long?  I'll be happy to step in and give you a smackdown if A1lex is too busy.