60D RAW video - it's working !!!

Started by marekk, May 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bioskop.Inc

Quote from: kotik on June 07, 2013, 11:59:12 PM
Those buffers are memory hardware in your 60D. Eager to rebuild yours?   

While your 60D is open you can implement a Black Magic Design SSD drive the same time!    ;D

Frustrated! There's potential but i'm not understanding if or how that can get us anywhere.
I'm really interested to see if we can use better crop factors to get longer recording times -basically anything under 1280x720 & above 960x544!

Got a BM Pocket Camera on pre-order & just trying to decide whether or not to cancel - but knowing BM i've probably got plenty of time to decide (months)!

kotik

If you have a lot of 16mm lenses, the Black Magic Pocket Camera can be a good choice, otherwise your cropfactor will be 2.3!!!!!
If I were you, I would cancel and go for the Canon 5D MarkIII.
My first Canon: FTb QL (Quick Loading), my first digital Canon: 20D 2.0.3
The current one: Canon EOS R

Bioskop.Inc

Quote from: kotik on June 08, 2013, 12:28:14 AM
If you have a lot of 16mm lenses, the Black Magic Pocket Camera can be a good choice, otherwise your cropfactor will be 2.3!!!!!
If I were you, I would cancel and go for the Canon 5D MarkIII.

I used to use S16 film cameras, so its partly a nostalgia thing & i normally shoot with anamorphic lenses, so the taking lens should be ok at about 24mm+anamorphic lens, which would give me a field of view of about 48mm (x1.5 anamorphic) or 36mm (x2 anamorphic).

Also, the crop factor @ 960x544 is way more than it would be on the pocket compared to the 60D.

5D3 is too much money at the moment - £2.5K vs under £1K.
& the fact that with an anamorphic lens i'll be getting a 2K image once i stretch the footage to its proper dimensions!
But it might be a waiting game as prices might go down on the 5D3 - at some point anyway.
Also, if what i've experienced with 60D RAW footage & upscaling rings true, then the Pocket will easily be able to be upscaled way beyond 1080p - if & when RAW comes to that camera.

Audionut

Quote from: kotik on June 07, 2013, 11:24:25 PM
You are cheating!   ;D  You forgot to mention that that is the case when using ETTR!

Devs don't cheat  :P

What about these images?

ilguercio

I just tried the build in the opening post and you tell me which 60D i got.
Looks like the biggest buffer is with S3 file size enabled only (any shooting mode, apparently) .
Not really into RAW if we can only get these sizes and i have to be on the computer for a good hour to edit the footage.
TO ME it isn't worth it, but i understand that some people see a huge potential (especially with other cameras, like the 50D i still have) .
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

kotik

Quote from: Audionut on June 08, 2013, 02:20:24 AM
Devs don't cheat  :P

What about these images?

You must be one them to call noise images!   ;D
Technically I suppose the article is right. Higher ISO, less dynamic range stops. I agree.
But in my years of experience, higher ISO is more noise.

Look at this quick and dirty test of my own. Which part of the image is noisier en which part has the higher ISO?
http://picturepush.com/public/13265059

marekk

I've just uploaded a new version of ML with raw_rec for 60D. All changes described here: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/all

60d

Apologies if I have posted in the wrong place. I'm not sure if this is a bug or problem unique to my camera.
I'm using the latest 60D ML (08-06-2013) posted by Marekk (and the previous version, 04-06-2013). Raw video appears to work normally at 960x540 with 0x/5x/10x zoom, however at higher resolutions using 5x and 10x, the liveview appears normal although the camera records frames which jump around.
Example at 1728x972, 25fps (compiled by RAWanizer, no edit):
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1VldE1ch4MAbnF2cFd2aldJQTQ/edit?usp=sharing
[normal at 960x540: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1VldE1ch4MAU05KUW9kXzFKNFE/edit?usp=sharing ]

marekk

I've just tested on 1600x680 and it works fine.

Quote from: 60d on June 08, 2013, 12:14:52 PM
Apologies if I have posted in the wrong place. I'm not sure if this is a bug or problem unique to my camera.
I'm using the latest 60D ML (08-06-2013) posted by Marekk (and the previous version, 04-06-2013). Raw video appears to work normally at 960x540 with 0x/5x/10x zoom, however at higher resolutions using 5x and 10x, the liveview appears normal although the camera records frames which jump around.
Example at 1728x972, 25fps (compiled by RAWanizer, no edit):
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1VldE1ch4MAbnF2cFd2aldJQTQ/edit?usp=sharing
[normal at 960x540: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1VldE1ch4MAU05KUW9kXzFKNFE/edit?usp=sharing ]

a1ex

Some major changes to EDMAC things (5 minutes ago), should fix these issues. Some EDMAC writes were not properly aligned at addresses multiple of 4096 bytes.

marekk

thanks a1ex !!!

Quote from: a1ex on June 08, 2013, 12:54:28 PM
Some major changes to EDMAC things (5 minutes ago), should fix these issues. Some EDMAC writes were not properly aligned at addresses multiple of 4096 bytes.

kotik

Did get this error, because modules didn't load!

Linking.....
tcc: error: memory full
exit (1)

Disabled and enabled bootdisk flag. Working again.

Three tries with latest build, first with magenta blocks, two were allright.
Getting 1 frame less, now 107 instead of 108 (1782 x 792 @ 25FPS)

Each time the 60D is switched off the modules won't automatically load, when switched on.
Each time giving the same error as above!     :(

marekk

pls. download new build, I replaced a zip file after a1ex's modifications.. (delete all files in modules folder, there is a LOADING.LCK file or something like this)

Quote from: kotik on June 08, 2013, 01:35:06 PM
Did get this error, because modules didn't load!

Linking.....
tcc: error: memory full
exit (1)

Disabled and enabled bootdisk flag. Working again.

Three tries with latest build, first with magenta blocks, two were allright.
Getting 1 frame less, now 107 instead of 108 (1782 x 792 @ 25FPS)

Each time the 60D is switched off the modules won't automatically load, when switched on.
Each time giving the same error as above!     :(

kotik

Quote from: marekk on June 08, 2013, 01:48:13 PM
pls. download new build, I replaced a zip file after a1ex's modifications.. (delete all files in modules folder, there is a LOADING.LCK file or something like this)

@merekk   Thanks for the quick response!    ;D

Modules are now loading automatically again!
Did shoot 4 clips 1782x791@25FPS
First did have 2 frames with magenta block mis alignment, other three were fine.

Getting more frames at 1782x792@25FPS: 118 now.

60d

Thanks Alex and Marekk, but still having the same problem

FullSensor

Thanks a1ex.
What you've done guys with ML is amazing.
I've been following the developpement since the beginning too. You've come a long way since the days Trammel found out the first codes and we were looking for a name for the firmware in C5D forum.

So back to the future ...

without LV_AF_RAW I get a set of hot pixels (green) always at the same position near the center.
The only clean image I could get is WITH LV_AF_RAW, Global Draw OFF using older builds.
Tests at 1726x736 @ 24P. (164 frames / Transcend 16GB Class 10)

Besides, is there a way for you to enable 1920 resolution in 2,35:1 now ?

And thank you marekk for the updates.

a1ex

Those lv_af_raw dots are edge detection info. That's why I didn't recommend using it.

What image problems are you having without it?

Bioskop.Inc

Quote from: 60d on June 08, 2013, 02:16:41 PM
Thanks Alex and Marekk, but still having the same problem

Yes i've just tried the same test as you & getting torn frames/shifted frames to the left.
x5 zoom @ 1728x972 25fps

But on the upside: getting 129 frames with 1728x972 @ 23.976fps!

Also, can't open the RAW files in the mac version of RAW2DNG v.11 (but v.10 works).

marekk

There are dead pixels always in the same place and the only option to remove it is Hot/dead pixel filter in RawTherapee

Quote from: a1ex on June 08, 2013, 03:06:17 PM
What image problems are you having without it?

a1ex

On 5D3, I've ran a sensor cleaning (not sure what exactly, I've tried all the options from that Canon menu) and pam! all of them were gone.

FullSensor

a1ex,

this is the problem :

(in fact the 2 different problems in one frame)

Skorpio89

Dear Friends,

I have discussed in other forum about the dynamic range... a friend were telling that he thinks that you can have the same thing with the h.264, and the raw is a bit useless... the way was he didn't test the raw...

I made a little test about dynamic range... it's simple and unscientific...

I tried to save some highlight but with the h.264 it's almost impossibile.. in the raw you can save much more...

have a look..

kotik

Green? Mine's are red since the latest build.    8)

http://picturepush.com/public/13267123

Top left corner of frame, always in the same position!

sarotaz

Quote from: a1ex on June 08, 2013, 03:40:27 PM
On 5D3, I've ran a sensor cleaning (not sure what exactly, I've tried all the options from that Canon menu) and pam! all of them were gone.

simply remaps dead or hot pixels interpolating the luminance values of near pixels.  ;)

Jack

Sorry, i'm a bit confused, you say to install the latest nightly build before doing anything else and on the nightly builds forum it says not for Raw, I have  v2.3 on my 60D and am wondering if somebody clear this up for me. I'm probably missing something really simple, but I want to make sure I do it right, oh and thank you for making such an amazing feature.