60D RAW video - it's working !!!

Started by marekk, May 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handbanana

This is awesome, thank you!

Now to find the 550D link so I can do this on both my cameras!

ricardosilva

This is my first try to use Magic Lantern on a Canon 60D as well as the new (in development) RAW capture.
This video shows the RAW capture using 5x magnification on camera.
The capture was stable until I increased the size of capture (while using the 5x magnification), presenting area shake and color artifacts.
Without magnification all sizes seemed to be stable during capturing.

https://vimeo.com/67018051

handbanana

So from the looks of it, the smaller the resolution the bigger the sensor crop? Is there a way to avoid the crop or at least zoom the screen in? So far 960 width seems to be the only reliable one (ie, longer than 20-30 seconds) which has a very small box in the center.

ReDDtwoCast

Quote from: Dae-Su on May 26, 2013, 10:35:43 PM
here is my very short test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTS6Ym0hKFA&feature=em-upload_owner

and here the raw and h264 files
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7cHQSCv-dz6ZWVFdkJLLVdsYjg&usp=sharing

Try lowering the highlights, increasing shadows, and adding a little bit more contrast. This allows you to take Advantage of the RAW file.

ReDDtwoCast

Mmmmm, how do I insert an image?

handbanana

here is my first test - 1280x536, I got about 27 seconds setting it to S2 mode. Upscaled to 1920x804, cropped to 1920x800. I fixed white balance in AE, then exported a ProRes file I did some more color grading to. Then exported to H264 @10mbps.

https://vimeo.com/67024889

Oh, and I'm 90% sure I was at ISO 6400

B-Hol

Hello.

Fair play to everyone here, developers and testers alike, you're doing a fine job.

Took the plunge and installed the latest software as per marekk's instructions (apart from installing latest nightly build - read in other posts to stick with the stable 2.3 build instead, thought I'd try that first).

I mentioned the 2.3 v's latest nightly as I seem to have an issue with the raw output. I appear to be getting 8 bit dynamic range rather than 14. Certainly, I'm seeing nothing like the range I'd expect from a Canon CR2.

The raws (1440x960 - retrieved approx 165 frames per shot) all saved and converted to dng without issue.
Dng's previewed in PSP x4 Pro perfectly, (aliasing but no pink frames).

I don't have Premiere so I had to go through some hoops to get the dng's into Vegas Pro. Problem is the dng's don't seem to have any more dynamic range than a standard 8 bit image. To test this I converted the dng's using...

Adobe Raw to dng -> Converts our RAW2DNG files to Adobe DNG (This allows the dng's to run in Davinci Resolve)
A freeby program found on Tucows -> Outputs TIFF (only 8bit as it turned out)
Adobe DNG codec (windows) (Loads Dng's directly in Vegas)
PSP X4 to 16bit TIFF
I also converted one of the DNG's to a jpeg so I could compare the 16bit TIFF to an 8 bit file.

No matter what I do, the dng's, 16 bit TIFF's etc all seem to operate as though the files only contain the dynamics of an 8 bit image.
Should add I'm running Vegas in 32bit floating point mode (Just so's you don't all think I'm a knuckle dragger).

So the question is, is there something I need from the ML nightly's to make the RAW's work properly? or is there something wrong with my workflow?

I've also noticed some of the tests people have been running on various cameras also don't really show any more dynamic range than a standard image. Until this point I haven't really thought about it but some others may be getting the same issues without realising.

DaveAbbott

I'm getting 1898 frames with the resolution set to 1280x426 (3:1) @ 25fps on a 16GB San Disk Extreme 45MB/s.

It grades nicely and I've put the footage through PFTrack and can easily get a rock solid 3D camera track (I always struggled with the softer compressed stuff).

larrycafe

if the DNG created by raw2dng is not read successfully by a program, try using adobe dng converter to the dng files, you can select different version of dng and allowing you to do some kind of compression.

however, I think the version 1.1 is the best to allow other program to open.

Dae-Su

Quote from: ReDDtwoCast on May 27, 2013, 12:02:07 AM
Try lowering the highlights, increasing shadows, and adding a little bit more contrast. This allows you to take Advantage of the RAW file.

I left the native files to allow everybody to do it.

payne

While I haven't done a good side by side comparison to demonstrate dynamic range I can say from my tests that everything seems to be dramatically improved on my clips from roll off, to range to color depth to sharpness. These files are just so organic and lovely compared to the dumbed down h264 rolling off the camera.

handbanana

Has anyone else noticed what seems to be pretty high noise? Maybe it's because I'm using ISOs 800 and above and upscaling to 1080p? I haven't tried denoising, and granted the noise isn't as ugly as say h264 noise and artifacting, but it's prevalent.

larrycafe

saving the RAW in crop mode will make the noise more visible.

when you are working in low light, it is better to record in full resolution, so you don't need a lots of upscaling and making the noise more visible.

or you can perform NR in picture processing workflow.

my workflow is to import all the DNG to silkypix for processing, WB correction, NR processing. output them to jpeg and then put them into a video.

handbanana

My tests have all been at 960 by 404 since it's the highest width that allows recording without skipped frames

gabezermeno

I went out and tested it today. It seems rough, but I cant wait until more things get worked out. My videos were recorded at 1280x536 and I processed them in lightroom. My friend has a black magic and I would say that the files are better from out 60d! haha.
https://vimeo.com/67041664

tin2tin

Quote from: gabezermeno on May 27, 2013, 09:23:06 AM
I went out and tested it today. It seems rough, but I cant wait until more things get worked out. My videos were recorded at 1280x536 and I processed them in lightroom. My friend has a black magic and I would say that the files are better from out 60d! haha.
Looks like the frame rate is too fast?

handbanana

Quote from: gabezermeno on May 27, 2013, 09:23:06 AM

That latitude looks great! I have yet to try mine out in bright conditions. Did your video cut out after a certain time? Also what ISO setting and how did you go about processing in Lightroom?

handbanana

Also here is another series of tests. This time with the 960 width resolutions since it's the highest res that allows uninterrupted shooting so far.

https://vimeo.com/67044831

handbanana

Sorry for the triple post, but has anyone else has a problem with the white balance? It seems like every clip I import into After Effects has a default white balance of 5600 and + magenta tint (30 for the clip im looking at now but I could swear it was like 70 earlier on another).

Also, my default FPS override goes to 24.008 when i pick 24, has anyone else experienced weird stuff like this?

marekk

I've got also 5600 on all files.
I think you should to ask these question in this thread:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5247.0

Quote from: handbanana on May 27, 2013, 11:33:08 AM
Sorry for the triple post, but has anyone else has a problem with the white balance? It seems like every clip I import into After Effects has a default white balance of 5600 and + magenta tint (30 for the clip im looking at now but I could swear it was like 70 earlier on another).

Also, my default FPS override goes to 24.008 when i pick 24, has anyone else experienced weird stuff like this?

bhursey

Quote from: handbanana on May 27, 2013, 08:12:16 AM
Has anyone else noticed what seems to be pretty high noise? Maybe it's because I'm using ISOs 800 and above and upscaling to 1080p? I haven't tried denoising, and granted the noise isn't as ugly as say h264 noise and artifacting, but it's prevalent.

800iso is kinda high noise wise traditionaly. I would say yes.  However I am more from the still world then the film world.  The grain is much more pleasant than it was in h264....

larrycafe

here is my video at highest video RAW resolution
http://youtu.be/FJHJKUmPtzQ

still love the sharpness it is generating, will wait for another fine day and try using lower resolution for longer clip

payne

Quote from: tin2tin on May 27, 2013, 10:15:43 AM
Looks like the frame rate is too fast?

absolutely! See this is the same thing I am seeing in my footage. Does anyone know what causes this issue? It's like the camera (when set to 23.976 is actually recording a slightly lower framerate like 22fps. That would create this slightly jerky movement when sped up to 23.976 or 24.

Additionally this would also explain why it seems like the default shutterspeed of approx 1/50 is still (strangely) creating a slightly strobing high shutter speed look. If the frame rate is actually being recorded at around 20 or 22 fps then approx 1/50 of a second is too fast to create normal (180 degree) shutter motion blur.

ijw01

Quote from: payne on May 27, 2013, 05:11:06 PM
absolutely! See this is the same thing I am seeing in my footage. Does anyone know what causes this issue? It's like the camera (when set to 23.976 is actually recording a slightly lower framerate like 22fps. That would create this slightly jerky movement when sped up to 23.976 or 24.

Payne, its because you need to force the camera to shoot at 24fps. I had the same problem early on. In the Magic Lantern video tab, go into the 'FPS override' option. Set the 'desired fps' to 24. Then set 'optimize for' to 'exact FPS.' The 'actual FPS' will then read 24.001. That solves the problem.