60D RAW video - it's working !!!

Started by marekk, May 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

You can do any sort of crop you like with raw video. IMO raw video for video purposes on the 60D is not all that practical but using it for other non-video purposes like AP is where it is the most useful.

xiga

Thanks dmilligan.

So if this is correct, then because ML basically re-enables this specific mode, even for models that don't have it by default, then i can look at other models aside from the 550D/60D for my AP needs?

And also, i know that in Raw mode it is much harder to obtain a high fps. Are the cheaper models (e.g 700D, 60D) able to do 640x480 1:1 at 60fps for a couple of minutes? Because from what i am reading i know that they struggle to do 24p, but then that is at higher resolutions.

keikun007

hey guys, i see thate we have no nightlys for a while now, has the development stopped? the commits also seem very sparse
are the developers working in something different? i'm just curious here

nikki

is there an updated chart with resolution...crop...etc..??

smok29

kalivar

i'm not seeing a major difference, what am i doing wrong...
1600x900 raw resolution. and raw picture not jpeg or s2 or anything
400 iso
i tried to grade the raw to match h.264, does that logic add up?  I mean am I not seeing this extra dynamic range because I'm not grading according to the situation? 
I used "MlRawViewer" to make it .mov
then just threw it in sony vegas as per any other clip. then render to 1080 24p

-In this video the first shot is h.264.  The warmer picture (second) is raw.  It will alternate h.264-->raw-->h.264--->raw throughout.
Again is my logic just flawed for grading to match h.264? shouldn't there be a noticeable difference in image quality anyway?  I'm just not seeing it.. just color and exposure/contrast correction no de-noise or anything.

https://vimeo.com/117347007

Defkaunta

Here is a video of me I shot a while back filming Raw on the 60D in 2.39 Aspect Ratio at highest resolution (recording of 5-7 sec per clip) using an older nightly version (cant remember which one. would have to look it up).

Anywho, what do you think :)?

Cheers.

https://vimeo.com/99819434

hell_warrior

I've tried couple of shots, but I allways get greenish pixels stuck on my footage, moving together with camera:(

Style

Hey guys, there is so much for me to learn.  I have a 60D with the ML installed, but I don't have the nightly build. Do I need the nightly build to shoot raw? I want to shoot video WITH sound to achieve the most cinematic look possible.

I've seen people mention MLV module. Is that the mode I should set the ML settings to? I'm completely new to this.

The most important thing I need to know first is: What SD card do I need exactly? I've seen a lot of reviews by others where the cards either weren't fast enough, compatible, or what not. I need to narrow down exactly what card to purchase online. Please, please, please help me with this. I've scoured the internet and there isn't a specific answer. I don't want to be filming a music video or scene and all the sudden the card craps out and interrupts the shoot.

This thread is also ancient so there's been a TON of new developments. So can someone just please tell me what to do step by step to achieve the longest seconds possible shooting Raw or MLV, whatever it's now called? I'm so overwhelmed trying to look through this entire thread. I'm pretty sure you guys have also come a long way since 2013 when this thread was started. I really don't want to have to dig through the whole thread :( All help is seriously appreciated. Thank you!

Exo

Quote from: Style on April 06, 2015, 05:44:28 AM
The most important thing I need to know first is: What SD card do I need exactly? I've seen a lot of reviews by others where the cards either weren't fast enough, compatible,

Get a good Sandisk UHS card, 45MB or 95MB model should be ok.

If you're a good boy, you might try to use this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Speed-1200X-Professional-Memory/dp/B007TKUFN6

May be it will help to get rid off that f****** NRZ chipset.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6128.0

Walter Schulz

Style: 60D's SD-card interface is good for about 21 MByte/s write rate.

Style

Thank you for the replies. I know the write speed is only 21 mbytes/s. So what card is the best for the 60D? Brand? Class? I want someone who's an experienced user of the 60D to answer this for me. I'd rather not have to deal with return/shipping hassling since I'm ordering online.

Walter Schulz

Sorry to tell you but there is no safe deal with SD-cards: https://thecounterfeitreport.com/press_release_details.php?date=2015-02-04&id=469
as seen in
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8550.msg136050#msg136050

My advice: Always test for faked cards after purchase.
- h2testw (Windows) or F3 (OS X): Will tell if capacity is faked
- Benchmark run in cam assisted by benchmark run using your computer. Programs for PC: CrystalDiskMark, ATTO.

careiff

Hi guys, I just installed ML on my 60D today, and I'm shooting up to 10 second bursts of RAW test video, but it's not letting me see anything in the playback mode after recording. It just says "no image" as if it didn't record anything at all. And won't show anything to import if I hook it up to my computer. Anyone have any experience with this issue? Do I have a setting wrong? Could be a simple solution, but I'm baffled. Thanks for any help you can give!

Walter Schulz

Load file_man.mo, pic_view.mo and mlv_play.mo and use ML's file manager to access RAW files in cam.

vertigopix

QuoteAnd won't show anything to import if I hook it up to my computer

You need a card reader to see your files in your computer, you can't see it through the usb connection.

trip3980

why did you sell your 60D.  makes no sense to me.  7d is ok but your not really moving up imo.  I say buy an atomos ninja.  You will thank me plus they are not that epensive.  No crop factor to worry about. 

Walter Schulz

60D's card interface bandwidth: About 21 MByte/s
7D's card interface bandwidth: About 89 MByte/s

trip3980

i see your point.  Not sure if I would do it tho personally I kinda am attached to my 60D.  But the reality is I think shooting raw on the canon current chipset regardless of what model today I think is impractical for the amount of resources needed to do a production.  an external capture I think is the better way to go here.  But I think what the camera proves is that we can in fact shoot raw video on the DSLR which the camera manufactures no longer can not say they can't do it.  ;)  Ether way I am happy and content with my magic lantern on my 60D regardless if raw recording is practical or not in camera. 

ebycon

Hey, guys, I'm new here and I'm from Italy! I just got a 60D and I'm gonna use it to shoot planetary with my telescope, and moon.
I have bought the 60D because of the crop mode 640x480 1:1, which is great and allows you to shoot at 60fps! Also gives u a 7x magnification!

I just installed magic lantern because in addiction to that I wanted it to be raw, which is a dream for astrophotography.

Anyways. I'm getting a hard time with ML. First of all, when I select the iso, no matter what I put it always remain in auto.
It makes me choose EQUIVALENT ISO and CANON ANALOG ISO. But when I go in live vide it changes in AUTO. Why? =(

also I don't quite understand how to shoot in crop mode. Do I have to select directly 640x480 (makes me record up to 56fps) or do I have to select 1920 and then select some sort of crop from there? Because even if I go to 1920 it tells me that the maximum I can do is actually 736!

Other than that, any other tip?

Thanks, guys <3

ps: I heard that with magic lantern the crop gives you actually 3x magnification and not 7 as the original canon os, why?

Walter Schulz

Movie tab -> Crop mode ON -> Start recording
or
Movie liveview mode -> Press 5x/magnify button (actually 3x) -> Start recording

For your Auto-ISO problem please tell which modules you have loaded and show contents of Expo tab.

ebycon

there isn't any crop mod settings to chose,

and when i do the magnify button thing you said it just won't let me do that, it says magnification not possible (in italian, because it's not magic lantern saying that but the canon os.)

I'm lost.

This is what I've downloaded:

Walter Schulz

Sorry, mixed up with 650D settings.

Load MLV_REC.mo, restart, enable RAW Video (MLV) in movie tab, enter movie mode, press magnify button. Results?

ebycon

Yes I have all those enabled, same results =(

but let me play more with a buddy of mine...let's see if we can figure this out...

dmilligan