60D RAW video - it's working !!!

Started by marekk, May 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bugsy

Hi Folks
            Well I have the same problem no sound at all and the second problem always I record in Raw but when I playback the video on camera is always in slow motion maybe I have  something wrong in my settings or  is really like that just for see it, or it will come better when you use raw2dng post processing
Canon 60D

ayshih

Quote from: Bugsy on August 15, 2014, 03:48:14 PM
Well I have the same problem no sound at all
"Same problem"?  There's no sound with RAW recording (as opposed to MLV recording).

Quote from: Bugsy on August 15, 2014, 03:48:14 PM
and the second problem always I record in Raw but when I playback the video on camera is always in slow motion
Playback in the camera (using the mlv_play module) can only go at a few FPS, so it can't keep up with a normal frame rate.  You can switch the playback mode from "all" to "exact", and then the module will drop frames as necessary so that the playback simulates the actual speed.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

iRedM

Hey mates; just want to say that it's been great knowing some of you but the time has come since I traded in my 60D and Tokina 11-16mm cropped sensor lens for a 3rd of the Canon 5D iii price and of course got me a 5D iii.

Keep it up and I'll popping in every now and then just to check how things are going here.

All the best; peace!!
Film, Music, Faith, Life, Design and Gaming; I do.

Exo

Hi buddies, i'm about to install ML for the first time  :'(. I just read the Alex note for installing nithly. Seems very simple now. I use the aug20th build. But a little question before unleash the beast. Do we have the bitrate hack (override) ready to use in the recent nithly 60D builds? I want to use raw only for color balance my scenes. Thank you very much for clear answer. Another question is, with h264 bitrate override, is it possible to reduce GOP size too? I know 600D could but i still don't know for 60D?
Thanks all.
PS: I don't know if some of you, still hope for a SD controller upgrade, i prepared a letter for canon service. If some of you want to read it just tell me. But a stable version is advised or recommended before i send it to canon corp. This upgrade by canon might result on an upgrade firmware 1.1.2. A 104 MB\s UHS-II compliant card controller will be enought for 60D but a 208 MB\s will be wonderful for a canon generic all model replacement.   

dmilligan

You can change the bitrate of h264, but other than making the files larger it doesn't really do anything (there's not really a noticeable improvement in IQ, other than perhaps the placebo effect). There aren't any GOP controls for 60D.

Exo

Thanks for your answer dmilligan! So you're confirming me that the h264 bitrate override (hack) has been merged into the nighly, for 60D?! Otherwise, i will use 1 different sd card for stable release and another one for nighly...
Do we need eos card yet to make the card bootable after firmware update, when ML nightly on the SD card for the first time??
I know for the placebo effect, it is exactly what i'm looking for! I find that red color artifacting (blocking) a lot with regular h264 with 60D. That's why i'm trying to find a solution. For GOP i don't think there is a problem, the fact is that with h264 everything looks like interlace when on youtube (tearing). It's a problem for me. I might need to use a deinterlace plug in to get it fixed on full screen.

CBR 3.0x seems to work really nice on the stable release, at least on 550D: Take a look at this video. https://vimeo.com/36649861
Sorry to discuss about that in a raw topic, we should open a new 60D specific topic on this forum.

Exo

If somebody can make a clear step by step very first install tuto with nightly it would be very appreciated. I 'm looking at this forum since raw recording release but never tryed to install ML even with stable version.

In the link below renato photo reports "60D work in progress, continuous recording at 1584x1058 at 24fps"
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0
It looks like a joke, got no time anymore for (Bad) joke. Could you guys make a clear very first install nightly tutoriel without mistake or forget something, starting zero, no stable release install before? with eos card and everything...

Exo

Last question @dmilligan: Are you able to film in color with your 60Da like a regular 60D????

dmilligan

Quote from: a1ex on July 30, 2014, 12:51:43 PM
Latest nightly builds include a recent installer, so you no longer need to install the old version first, and then upgrade. First install works from 64GB cards too.

Feel free to update the first post. Maybe it's time to start a fresh topic in the camera-specific discussion?

Installation:
1) Format the card from the camera.
2) Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.1.1.
3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update.

Uninstallation:
1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
2) Follow the instructions.

I know for the placebo effect, it is exactly what i'm looking for.
I think maybe you don't understand what I mean by the placebo effect. I mean that the footage does NOT objectively look any better, however it appears to you to look better simply because you have used a higher bitrate and therefore think that it *should*

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Placebo#Expectancy_and_conditioning

Quote from: Exo on August 24, 2014, 12:10:50 AM
Last question @smilligan: Are you able to film in color with your 60Da like a regular 60D????
Yes it works just fine. No different from stills which also works just fine. The only time I really have any color issues is when using strong ND filters (which may not block IR evenly).

Bugsy

Hi folks
          Well I have a doubt the 60D can write  maximum 20/MBS buffer capacity so if you use a card with 95/mbs nothing change let me know as soon as you can after that wich software are you used to edit your Raw files is not so easy that part
Thanks

Exo

My firmware is 1.0.8 need an update before. For placebo effect, well, more datas in video encoding generally results to better image compression quality. I know that it is difficult to see with 4:2:0, 8 bits h264. It's not me that telling you it's better, it's just scientific. Or may be it's total bullshit and the bitrate hack doesn't work on 60D... It makes just the file larger with no more data encoding process.  Once again look at this video, it's quiet revelant: https://vimeo.com/36649861.

Effectivily if absolutily no more new infos/datas are encoding during the bitrate increase process, it will change absolutly nothing on final result. Milligan are you the bad cop of the team? 8), you sound a little bit too matrix for me...

So i'll give bitrate hack a try for improving the red color blocking artifacts.

Exo

But precisely after 3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update. Do i need to follow back the old installation with eos card make the card bootable, and bootflag and everything? i don't understand nothing in that.

Exo

Quote from: Bugsy on August 24, 2014, 05:06:00 AM
Hi folks
          Well I have a doubt the 60D can write  maximum 20/MBS buffer capacity so if you use a card with 95/mbs nothing change let me know as soon as you can after that wich software are you used to edit your Raw files is not so easy that part
Thanks

Yes, i know for the 20Th century limits, and 95MB card and everything. Basically the workflow is uncompress process and recompress. The better codec you got, the better image will be. ProRes 4444 seems very good, but i need to try x265 for upscale process with FFmpeg HD to 4K to 6K. I need to install linux and get FFMPEG ready to use. The problem is, i need a command line partner to get access advance scripts (bitrate control, 4:2:2, 4:4:4, 10, 12, 14, 16 bit, i know it depends alot from the input). The creativity in video process depends a lot of the harmony you make between encoding and decoding the image. Like a orchestra. But we speak about creativity, not really hollywood today image quality standarts).

dmilligan

Quote from: Exo on August 24, 2014, 05:59:11 AM
But precisely after 3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update. Do i need to follow back the old installation with eos card make the card bootable, and bootflag and everything? i don't understand nothing in that.
The new installer is super easy. Just follow those 3 simple instructions (then follow any on screen instructions). That's all you have to do.

Exo

Thanks a lot, i succeed in installing the nighly! That's a good thing. The bitrate hack seems to work if the raw module is disabled. But i got a important question here before i really start to shoot. What is the max internal heat to not go beyond for the camera safety? I assume something near 70 to 75°C ?
And also, for post-prod, seems we have to use ACR (adobe DNG converter) to get rid of the dead pixels on 60D, and then convert these DNG files in .tif or prores to get them out for good.
Is it something that will stay like that forever or should us expect, one day we will be able to use MLRawViewer, for example, and then go directly to Resolve without having to use ACR? I know there was a special build from marrek but it's a bit old now?

Exo

Exo

Allright, it's me again, i've got back some infos concerning the bad pixels problem in a notepad on my computer hard drive, so this just a reminder post:

@raffal92- Assuming you mean hot pixels there are a few remedies depending on what software that you are using.  Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WJBuGhMnvFo#t=0

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9700.0

@RenatoPhoto posted the above here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9755.msg93865#msg93865

Hope that helps.

FINALLY 60D users can work with resolve.

This modified version of raw2dng by escho http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9700.msg98302#msg98302 works great. In my case it removes all bad pixel.

Another solution is mapping the bad pixels in a external file and apply an interpolation filter effect directly on resolve (OpenFX):
http://www.playtool.com/pages/pixelpatcher/pixelpatcher.html

PS: And finally: "Workflow was actually quite simple:
1. shot raw on the 60D (duh). I'm using a special build from september, which solve the dead pixels problem, search the 60D thread.
2. Using RAWMagic, I converted the raw "PS" file to DNG. I'm doing it directly from the card, without copying the raw files to the hard drive.
3. In resolve, I opened the DNG files, conformed and graded them. In this case, I created a project in UHD resolution, and tweaked the "Image Size" tab options until it looked the best.
4. Export from resolve using ProRes HQ.
5. import and edit them in FCP X."

Exo

But it would be better if the futures nighly build could definitly get rid of that problem. I didn't try raw shooting yet, hope have the patience to try it soon.  ::)

Also, i'm really serious about the fact to ask canon for a factory controller SD hardware update. I know that it sounds promising for the uhs-1 based camera that could be clocked at higher speed. But for an older camera like 60D, i'm afraid that the problem will remain the same. Time will tell. Honesly for now, i will not have much more than 100$ for that hardware replacement.

adityavarma007

Its working on 60d I did test Audio and stuff. Except for the continuous video, Which works on few very widescreen modes on 1280. It works fine with various Sizes. Raw means Fabulous News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACX8zdY3t90&list=UUycltlhtSLfcaNKTNIkoj2Q

kvnpato

the videos with the 60d have bad pixels or dead pixels, is there any solution for this?

mlubich

Thought I jump in and show you my first RAW tests with my 60D.

After some learning curve I find shooting with RAW quite a boost in quality and fun.

Im am still struggling to find the best workflow for me.

My main system is a Linux machine and I prefer to have my workflow on one OS if possible.

Working with DaVinci Resolve is great and preferrable to all tools I have testes so far with linux.

The example below is all done in linux using mlrawviewer to extract the DNGs, darktable to process the DNGs into 16bit TIFFs and finally lightworks for final editing and rendering.

Shots were taken at 1728x735@24 with a maximum frame count of 237 on a Transcend SDHC 32GB.

Used Lenses: Tamron 28-75,2.8, Canon 70-300,4-5.6, Canon 50,1.8
Used an ND8 filter and a polarizer.

The video is only at 720p since the free version of lightworks do not allow for higher output resolutions ...

I will have to do quite more tests before getting my hands on the new Axiom Beta :)

https://vimeo.com/108495797

Exo

Really nice footage! Nice color, and sharpness, quite a boost over h264 i must admit. Which nighly did you use? Did you experience bad/dead pixels problems? Thanks for sharing.

mlubich

I use magiclantern-Nightly.2014Sep27.60D111.zip.

Regarding the dead/bad pixels:

I had some in test shots in low light situatons (not shown here)

I had 2 barey visible ones in one shot, where they were located in the pure blue of the sky and therefore relatively easy to spot.

In all the other shots I didn't see any. I checked at the positions of the dead pixels in the low light shots and the blue sky shot, but I could not detect them.

In the one shot with the red leaf, one of the dead pixels is sometimes there, but not as black, but as bright wihite one, but only if a lot of light is coming in this area, e.g. a highlight and its halo.

Overall I really had to look very hard to notice them at all, so up to this point no real problems with dead/bad pixels.

keikun007

i'll be shooting a dance video and i have a question
as i understand, its better to shoot movement in higher frame rate, so i tought of going 30 fps and changing it to 24 in post. my doubt is: what shutter speed should i use when changing frame rate? should i use 1/60 as it will be the 180º curve for the captured clip or 1/50 as it will be the 180º curve for the final result?

xiga

Hi Guys

I've never owned a DSLR before and I'm thinking of buying a 60D and have a specific ML-related question so I thought I'd ask it in here before I commit to buying.

I'm basically on the lookout for a cheap 2nd hand Canon camera, for casual daily use (i.e a family camera) but also for some beginner Astrophotography (mainly Planetary imaging for now, if the bug bites I'll probably get something more specific for DSO's). I've read that the best mode for filming the major planets is a special 640x480 movie Crop mode, which apparently only the 550D, 60D, 60Da, and 70D have. The reason this mode is so special, apparently, is because it can record at 60 fps and at 1:1 pixel resolution, using only the middle 640x480 part of the sensor, which is plenty enough for planetary imaging (plus, I think this mode also gives you an effective zoom of x7, which also helps as the planets are small!).
The reason I'm being drawn to the 60D, is simply because it is the cheapest one that has this mode, but also has an articulated screen. Oh, it's worth noting as well, that for Planetary imaging you only really need to record short clips, say 1 or 2 minutes long, but ideally at very high fps (hence the need for 60 fps) so that you can obtain a high number of frames, i.e around 5k or so.

All of this is fine, but the camera will obviously only record in 8 bit, whereas ML now supports Raw, i.e 14 bit!

So my question is, if I install ML, will I still be able to access this same special movie Crop mode, only the video will now be in 14 bit instead of 8 bit? The 1:1 pixel resolution, high fps, and zoom level are of paramount importance though!

Cheers guys!