60D RAW video - it's working !!!

Started by marekk, May 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bioskop.Inc

Quote from: sprsaiyangk on April 10, 2014, 04:17:12 PM
hi guys downloaded the latest ml nightly built
and bought sandisk extreme 16gb 45mbps card too still can't get more the 51 frames recorded on 1720x968p
and 130 frames on 1280x720p
help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
please :-\ :'(

Check out the first 2 posts in this thread for all the info you need.
You ain't gonna get more than about 13secs of useable footage in crop mode that will upscale nicely.
The SD card slot in the 60D is limited to 20mbps, so a faster card won't change anything.
The only camera worth using with ML RAW is the 5D3...
You can still shoot some nice things with the 60D, but you really have to plan everything properly since you will never get continuous RAW recording.

comurit

Quote from: sprsaiyangk on April 10, 2014, 04:17:12 PM
hi guys downloaded the latest ml nightly built
and bought sandisk extreme 16gb 45mbps card too still can't get more the 51 frames recorded on 1720x968p
and 130 frames on 1280x720p
help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
please :-\ :'(

please set your image quality in the canon menu' to jepg S3 no raw, in video  canon menu' set 1920x1080 24fps.
In ML  movie menu set FPS override to 23,976 (desiredFPS)  by clicking on the Q button. Once your are ready to record set global draw off from the overlay menu in ML.
try and see what happens you should get more seconds I hope.
I get 6 seconds with a resolution of 1728x972.
Let us know if it helped

lionelp

Quote from: Bioskop.Inc on April 10, 2014, 12:59:20 PM
Do you mean using using VBR (Q-Scale) instead of CBR or just CBR ramped up to 3.0x?

CBR 1.8,  Q Scale -14

Edit: Depending on the scene. That was the last setting on the camera. Pointing out towards a Cityscape gettiing 60 to plus 70 mbs.
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

lionelp

" Depending on the scene. That was the last setting on the camera. Pointing out towards a Cityscape gettiing 60 to plus 70 mbs."

Now adjusting things a little: 
CBR 2.2 Q Scale -16 ISO 400 getting Plus 90 mbs but below 100 for the scene that I tested.
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|

Bioskop.Inc

Quote from: lionelp on April 11, 2014, 01:42:01 AM
" Depending on the scene. That was the last setting on the camera. Pointing out towards a Cityscape gettiing 60 to plus 70 mbs."

Now adjusting things a little: 
CBR 2.2 Q Scale -16 ISO 400 getting Plus 90 mbs but below 100 for the scene that I tested.

Thanks, I never knew you could change the Q-Scale whilst in CBR mode - its greyed out so always thought it was to be used with VBR (when it isn't greyed out).
But would still like the TL version which does produce better images because of the GOP functionality etc...
It basically allows you to tweek BR hack just a little better than the basic ML version (find someone with a 600D & test the difference on a detailed scene).

lionelp

Bioskop.Inc said: "Still would like the TL version..."

Agreed but the ML version is infinitely better than Canon h.264 out of the box.  :)

filmcubepro

heres a short filmed using magic lantern's raw function :)
everything was filmed at 24 fps, 1152x524 resolution
its was then up-resed to 1920x ???  ( i kept the same aspect ratio)
make sure to watch in 1080p :)

bennyray1

lionelp

Quote from: filmcubepro on April 13, 2014, 04:56:30 AM
heres a short filmed using magic lantern's raw function :)
everything was filmed at 24 fps, 1152x524 resolution
its was then up-resed to 1920x ???  ( i kept the same aspect ratio)
make sure to watch in 1080p :)

Like it! Looks good!

lionelp

Quote from: bennyray1 on April 15, 2014, 04:16:14 AM

so I put together this little project to test the new Cinelog Log Lut for Davinci and see if created a easier workflow for my system.I am very happy with the results, and the proxies where rendered very quickly and worked great in Premiere.

here is a quick run down of what I did just in case any one was interested, I am still new at using this workflow so I am sure I could have done tons of things differently..plus the surf was super fun so I did not film to much.

Filmed with 60D with the help of Magic Lantern MLV_REC...converted to LOG with Cinelog newest Davinci LUT and color corrected also in Davinci...then to Premiere..color graded Osiris M31 Lut....

Looks good! Raw handles the sun well!

bennyray1

Quote from: lionelp on April 16, 2014, 05:15:47 PM
Looks good! Raw handles the sun well!

Thanks, I did use a Hoya variable nd filter..shot with Canon 35mm L with 3x zoom.I love how I can go in any direction with RAW...any grade wii work well.

Toney60D

I don't have the raw video option on my camera a friend of mines in school installed ML for me. How can I shoot raw video? Please help..

Walter Schulz

Download latest nightly build, expand contents.
Delete card's ML directory and copy files and ML dir to card (overwriting AUTOEXEC.BIN).
Start cam and access "Module" tab. Enable RAW_REC.MO or MLV_REC.MO. Restart cam.
Access "Video" tab, enable RAW mode and configure option as needed and suitable to your needs/card speed/resolution/record length.

Ciao
Walter

oneclassym8

Did a little experimenting with the .mlv record. The above video is a combination of 1080p 24p h.264 and 1280 x 720 (16:9) 23.976 .mlv.
Converted the .mlv to DNGs in MLVMystique imported DNGs into Lightroom5 and processed with the help of VSCO Film presets. Imported processed DNGs into AE upscaled to 1080p, then cut and transitioned in Premiere Pro.
Canon 60d, Canon 35mm f2, Canon 50mm f1.8 (both shot wide open), Sandisk Extreme 30mb/sec, and VariND filter. Didn't have a monopod/tripod/washer and string with me at the time so the movements are crap.
Canon 60D, Canon 550D, Canon EOS 5 Film, Canon 35mm f2, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 10-22mm, Canon 80-200mm f2.8L

lionelp

Quote from: oneclassym8 on April 19, 2014, 07:37:43 AM

Did a little experimenting with the .mlv record. The above video is a combination of 1080p 24p h.264 and 1280 x 720 (16:9) 23.976 .mlv.
Converted the .mlv to DNGs in MLVMystique imported DNGs into Lightroom5 and processed with the help of VSCO Film presets. Imported processed DNGs into AE upscaled to 1080p, then cut and transitioned in Premiere Pro.
Canon 60d, Canon 35mm f2, Canon 50mm f1.8 (both shot wide open), Sandisk Extreme 30mb/sec, and VariND filter. Didn't have a monopod/tripod/washer and string with me at the time so the movements are crap.

Nice footage. Good integration of raw and H.264 .

tin2tin

When using magiclantern-Nightly.2014Apr22.60D111 my camera crashes with mlv_rec, mlv_snd, mlv_play enabled, reboot and then when selecting the video tab the 60D crashes. Which version are you guys using with success?

[Edit: forgot to update AUTOEXEC.BIN too]

oneclassym8

Quote from: lionelp on April 22, 2014, 04:57:57 PM

Nice footage. Good integration of raw and H.264 .

Thanks @lionelp I'm hoping to keep putting out videos integrating the two.
Canon 60D, Canon 550D, Canon EOS 5 Film, Canon 35mm f2, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 10-22mm, Canon 80-200mm f2.8L

sprsaiyangk

Quote from: comurit on April 10, 2014, 11:31:14 PM
please set your image quality in the canon menu' to jepg S3 no raw, in video  canon menu' set 1920x1080 24fps.
In ML  movie menu set FPS override to 23,976 (desiredFPS)  by clicking on the Q button. Once your are ready to record set global draw off from the overlay menu in ML.
try and see what happens you should get more seconds I hope.
I get 6 seconds with a resolution of 1728x972.
Let us know if it helped

thanx man that helped a lot appreciated bro

comurit

I am about to get a new camera, but I can make my mind up whether to take a 5d or gh4.
I know for sure that I love and I want it to record  short footage that have a film look.
The 5d with the raw features will let me have more room on color grading, but I am also concerning the the post production work.
The gh4 I think is more for documentaries work, looks nice don't get me wrong.
What do guy think? What shall I get.
I know this is personal but I am struggling, I can't decide.
Thank you very much for your help.

keikun007

if i were to buy a new camera i would have the same doubt and evend iclude the Sony A7s in the fight

but i believe ML is really something that pushes canon forward in video and makes for a difference.

i'll eagerly await the experts on that

Janssen

@comurit

I will be buying the GH4.  I will definitely keep my 60D for seconds where I need RAW shoots, and also for ML in general.  The 5d 3 is obviously the best option to shoot raw.  The one thing to consider when shooting Raw is  the space it takes up on your Harddrive.  On the other hand I have gone back to counting shots and rehearsing a shot similar to how I did when using super 8 years back..  I have recently finished a few projects with ML Raw on the 60D that went into terabytes.  With the native canon codec this same amount would have been substantially less

Here are a few examples of commercial work I have done recently every shot was ML Raw on 60D:

I don't expect to get as much latitude from the new GH4 as I do in ML raw.  I will use both cameras as tools for when needed.

Cheers,
Janssen

comurit

Quote from: Janssen on May 05, 2014, 05:25:45 PM
@comurit

I will be buying the GH4.  I will definitely keep my 60D for seconds where I need RAW shoots, and also for ML in general.  The 5d 3 is obviously the best option to shoot raw.  The one thing to consider when shooting Raw is  the space it takes up on your Harddrive.  On the other hand I have gone back to counting shots and rehearsing a shot similar to how I did when using super 8 years back..  I have recently finished a few projects with ML Raw on the 60D that went into terabytes.  With the native canon codec this same amount would have been substantially less

Here are a few examples of commercial work I have done recently every shot was ML Raw on 60D:

I don't expect to get as much latitude from the new GH4 as I do in ML raw.  I will use both cameras as tools for when needed.

Cheers,
Janssen

thank very much for your advice, we'll see how much money I will raise and then decide.

keikun007

Quote from: Janssen on May 05, 2014, 05:25:45 PM
@comurit

Cheers,
Janssen

wow

can you share how have you got this amazing shots with the 60d?

Janssen

Recorded at resolution of 1536X864 for most shots others at 1728x972

I used MLRawViewer to export directly to ProRes or DNG.  Used DNG only for a handful of shots where PS was needed to get that extra use of the RAW data.  My computer won't work DaVinci at the moment.   Batch upscaled clips to 1920x 1080 with MPEG Streamclip. Graded accordingly in post.

Correction: There were two shots shot native H.264 in the above videos.

MLRaw is a great tool.

Cheers,
Janssen

Subtlesip

Hey Everyone,

New to the forum here and fairly new to Video Production and RAW in particular. Firstly, a huge thanks to everyone that has worked on ML and contributed in any way, what an awesome platform. Forgive my ignorance, but I have a question regarding the max write speed for the 60d. I was using a SanDisk Ultra when testing out RAW capabilities and found that I could get 1152 x 490 for about 320 frames at 9.3 mb/s. Yesterday, I saw a SanDisk extreme plus on sale for 39.99, couldn't resist. I bought the card, installed the latest nightly and saw, on the same RAW settings, my possible frames jump from 300 to over 1,000 frames at 20.8 mb/s. My understanding is that if I got an even faster card, I wouldn't be able to squeeze many more frames because of the max write speed of the 60D, right?

Thanks in advance for any help.