60D RAW video - it's working !!!

Started by marekk, May 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lionelp

Did you turn the camera off and restart it?
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

keikun007

how do you guys wxport the footage? i mean, we take all this huge files and make a film hith many Gb, and then, how to upload it for vimeo for example? what kind of conversion will keep most details that worth using the raw?

lionelp

Quote from: keikun007 on February 26, 2014, 06:43:30 PM
how do you guys wxport the footage? i mean, we take all this huge files and make a film hith many Gb, and then, how to upload it for vimeo for example? what kind of conversion will keep most details that worth using the raw?

@keikun007 it depends. There is no one way right now.The link below will take you to a good place to start:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=54.0

Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|

Theiamania

Hallo everybody,
I've a Canon 60D and I installed a new 15 feb 1024 NB on ML 2.3.
I noted if i shot on 1280*528, aspect ratio 16:9, the ML crops image!
But if I turn RAW video resolution to 1920*1080 (to use the entire image I can see on display... the ML shoots always in 1280*528(720) - (canon 60D cannot shoot more than this resolution) - but I can use all my lens  in theirs entire dimension.
Anyway, I can't understand why ML crop image... in any camera, if i change resolution, for example from 1080 to 720, it doesn't crop image!

Theiamania

Hallo everybody,
I add still an other question:
Why I can find on ML menù the frame per second (FPS) setup?
Resolved: I've to specify it in Canon Menù.

Thx for reply!

comurit

Quotehey guys, i want to make an anamorphic project in 2k, can someone help me to get the camera to film in 1024x858? that would be 1024 in 1.19 aspect ratio, so when desqueezed i'd get 2048x858.
plus, what is the best build atm? why marrek cleaned up the op?

thanks in advance
Hello, did you manage to finish your anamorphic project?
I am curious as I just bought myself an Iscomorphot 8 1.5x anamorphic lens, and I am new to the anamorphic world.
If you don't mind me asking what kind of anamorphic lens do you have?
Are you recording raw with your anamorphic lens, would you like  to share your worflow , if don't mind of course.
I know how to work with raw , I just would like some advices on how to go with aspect ratio and stuff like this.
Thank you so much.

lionelp

Quote from: comurit on March 03, 2014, 12:30:04 PM
I am curious as I just bought myself an Iscomorphot 8 1.5x anamorphic lens, and I am new to the anamorphic world.
Are you recording raw with your anamorphic lens, would you like  to share your worflow , if don't mind of course.
I know how to work with raw , I just would like some advices on how to go with aspect ratio and stuff like this.
Thank you so much.

Sent you a PM 're anamorphic lens advice. Looks like an excellent lens btw.

comurit

Yes, I saw that, very kind thank you.

roshawn

I have ML installed on my 60 but can't get raw to shoot for longer than a few seconds. I have 1.1.1 installed on my camera. I've done the install for ML 2.3 from scratch a few times, including the nightly build. I even reinstalling the canon firmware and reset the camera a few times. I have changed my photo settings to JPEG and stopped auto off in the canon menu. I am able to get 720 from my 6d and nothing from my 60. I see a lot of videos of people posting with this camera.  What am I missing? Is there an older, working build?

the card I'm using is a San Disk Extreme 32GB - 80MB/s

lionelp

roshawn: What resolution are you shooting on with the 60d ? If you are getting a few seconds you probably have ml installed correctly.  Try lowering the resolution ie to 1280 x 720 or something like that and see how you do. If you want continuous recording on the 60d you are going to have step down in resolution to 960x...

Marsu42

Quote from: roshawn on March 05, 2014, 08:27:09 AMI am able to get 720 from my 6d and nothing from my 60. I see a lot of videos of people posting with this camera.  What am I missing?

You're missing that the sd card controller of the 60d is way slower than the already slow 6d - so you can only record a few seconds of 720p raw. Look at the clips of 60d raw videos, they're all assembled from a few seconds of recording. If you want continuous raw recording, get a camera with a cf slot (50d, 5d3).

roshawn

Lionelp – I tried all settings that were under 80mb/s. I noticed it recorded longer on 920 but eventually stopped. This is fine with me. I just thought everyone else was recording longer based on some of the work I've seen. The short clips and combining make more sense for the 60D. Good thing I have my 6D. I can do continuous 720. It's funny... I watched all these videos but didn't run across right the video with better explanation until I finally asked for help.

Thanks!

lionelp

roshawn: You're welcome, Marsu42 explained it imo perfectly. It is also a lesson in filmmaking in the video age; to me for sure. You don't need long bits of footage to make a film that works.

keikun007

Quote from: comurit on March 03, 2014, 12:30:04 PM
Thank you so much.

Hi
actually i didn't cause i don't have an anamorphic lens yet. it's very difficult to get one here (brazil) and the ones i found were very expensive. but i was investigating some cheaper options and looking for a good resolution to shot.
i hope you have more success tham i since you already have the lens you need
good luck

comurit

Quote from: keikun007 on March 06, 2014, 07:48:42 PM
Hi
actually i didn't cause i don't have an anamorphic lens yet. it's very difficult to get one here (brazil) and the ones i found were very expensive. but i was investigating some cheaper options and looking for a good resolution to shot.
i hope you have more success tham i since you already have the lens you need
good luck

Mine is coming in few days, so I will experiment with it and perhaps show some results I hope.
I thought you had it already that's why I was curious  to know.
The good ones are very expensive all over the world.
I am sure you will get a good deal, don't worry.
Good luck

lionelp

sarotaz

FOR DAVINCI RESOLVE WORKFLOW:

with last version of Mlrawviewer (1.1.3) finally you export in cdng (16 bit) and import in resolve without any bad pixel.
Tested.

bobbyem

Hi Guys!

I love the 60D and ML makes it even better, but I am looking to make the leap to RAW. This thread is really long and I am having trouble understanding what I need to make the 60D RAW-enabled(The latest Nightly build). I have ML v2.3 on a Extreme Pro Card.

I am thankful for every answer!
/Bobby

Walter Schulz

Delete ML directory, download Nightly Build, expand content, copy content to card. Restart cam.
Open "Module" folder, enable RAW or MLV modules, restart. Access RAW menu in "Movie" tab.

comurit

lionelp

comurit: Nice. What resolution did you use?

comurit

@lionelp
Thanks
The resolution is 1920x1080. no raw
Next test I would like to shoot raw with the anamorphic.
What resolution shall I use in raw? that gives me  more time, 6 seconds it's not enough.
Any advice?
thank you

Marsu42

Quote from: comurit on March 23, 2014, 08:13:52 AM
What resolution shall I use in raw? that gives me  more time, 6 seconds it's not enough.

In that case you're out of luck, the 60d smaller in-camera buffer combined with the slow sd card speed really only allows for short raw clips in decent resolution ... or you're at thumbnail video size :-\

comurit

Quote from: Marsu42 on March 23, 2014, 10:06:12 AM
In that case you're out of luck, the 60d smaller in-camera buffer combined with the slow sd card speed really only allows for short raw clips in decent resolution ... or you're at thumbnail video size :-\

I think I'll stick with the 6 seconds for now and in the near future maybe buy a GH4 or a BMCC.
Thank you

lionelp

comurit: you can dial in a slightly lower resolution . The anamorphic lens will stretch your footage into a larger resolution. This will give you more than 6 seconds Try it. The stretch in lower resolutions is one of the benefits of anamorphic.